Author Topic: Mary Gritt nee Sherred  (Read 8317 times)

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Mary Gritt nee Sherred
« on: Tuesday 11 May 10 13:21 BST (UK) »
Are any rootschatters descended from this Sherred/Gritt family and able to tell me anything else about the family? I've been doing my sons tree and found that, on his dad's mum's side, they are descended from a sibling of Mary Sherred.

A while ago, I saw an article that said she was a gypsy queen but I can't find it now. Her father (my son's 5x great grandparent) was Moses Sherred. Any info about this family would be great. Were they "proper" Romany gypsys? I can't get back any further than Moses unfortunately.

Thanks
Cat
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Gritt nee Sherred
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 20:11 BST (UK) »
hi, catone  as a romany, i can tell you that there really is no such thing as a king or queen of gypsy people, its just like a pearly king or queen.nothing real. its some thing gorgios,(non travellers) use. but if you are looking for a romany connection.  look at the occupation of the persons you are researching. and as i have said before try finding famliy members that have married, general dealers horse traders hawkers tinker or earthen ware dealers potters etc,  if you can get  any of these and some gypsy surnames marrying into your famliy chances are you will have a connection.  as to the surnames you mention i have not heard of them,but that is not to say they are not romany.but i do know many gypsy men called moses,  cushty bok,( good luck) rob..g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 20:31 BST (UK) »
Mary Sherred is mentioned briefly on all the Romany websites I've come across (as Granny Gritt), on one or two sites her father Moses is also sometimes mentioned, so I have no doubt they were part of the New Forest Gypsy community. Their occupations were Sweeps, but I have been unable to get any further back and was hoping that someone on here may have connections to the family. Moses wife was Harriet nee Freeman and the Freemans were Sweeps too.

Thanks for the reply
Regards
Cat
Richards - Neath Swansea

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 14:53 BST (UK) »
hi, cat one. i take it you have searched  lds familyseach site.its free, you  will  have tried these i think ,but if not give these sites a try, they helped me. there is/ freecen /freereg/ freebmd/.there are many good county sites to try i.e lancashire parish clerks,but there are many others in the uk for other counties. if you have tried these with no luck,it may be the person/persons, you are looking for were not baptised, or registered. my own mother,born 1928 was not registered, and only got a birth cert when 18 to get married.if you get no further on this site dont give up, there are lots of good romany sites.for the south  of england, just keep looking. try to find a church that keeps coming up, travellers tend to use the same church when in a area they camp in. i can tell you freeman is a romany name, and that some travellers years ago were sweeps. olso try to follow where they came from,  my family  the mitchells start in sussex then stafford, lancashire and cumberland,so maybe try a wider area,and some gypsy folk came from europe in the late 1900s.  sorry i cannot be more helpful. rob..g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 15:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rob, will keep on searching...

Best Wishes
Cat  :)
Richards - Neath Swansea

Offline boulton1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cat one.  I have just started searching my mothers family tree she was a sherred her father, my grandfather was Frank Sherred of 3 legged cross in Dorset a descendent of Moses and Harriet.  I like you have got to Moses and seem to draw blanks were you able to get any further?  I have many treasured memories of visiting from grand father and have photo's of the farm etc.

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the message, unfortunately I haven't been able to get any further back on this branch myself. I seem to remember a few years ago though, another researcher gave me a couple of generations earlier than Moses, but my email went wrong and all my saved emails were lost before I had chance to transfer the information onto paper or my GenesReunited tree!

Regards
Cat  :)
Richards - Neath Swansea

Offline dudjac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 August 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi.
 I am a descendent of the Sherreds through my gt grandfathers marriage to Tamar who was a daughter of Moses Sherred . Moses being born in Kimpton, Hampshire.
 Moses was the son of Ezekial "Sherrard" and Elisabeth .   Ezekial was christened in Abbotts Ann, Hampshire in 1795.
Family search tells me that Ezekials father and mother were also Ezekial and Elisabeth.
By the time Tamar was born in Cranbourne Dorset it would appear that Moses was no longer a travelling sweep but a farm worker.

Dud.
Jacobs- Dorset
Parsons- Wiltshire.
Masons- Farnham Surrey
Johns-  Soho London

Offline boulton1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 September 11 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, I think you may be wrong about Moses father, I have a copy of the marriage certificate with Harriet Freeman and the father is stated as Charles Sherred.