Author Topic: Mary Allman  (Read 2451 times)

Offline ceri63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Allman
« on: Tuesday 11 May 10 13:34 BST (UK) »
I'm struggling to find any evidence of the birth of Mary Allman, born 1799 according to her death cerificate registered in Llanfyllin, Montgomeryshire. There is a record on IGI for her marriage to my great (x4) grandfather John Hughes on 23/7/1819 in Stoke on Trent and as he was a soldier he could have met Mary anywhere. They subsequently moved to Llanfyllin and had a family there. Is there anyone with  Allman family in and around Stoke or has any further clues about this? I'd be very grateful for any help.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Allman
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 13:48 BST (UK) »
do you have mary and John on census? That should give p.o.b.?? and so help with the search

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ceri63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz,

John Hughes died 1831, Mary Allman 1838 so unfortunately all I have to go on is the fact that Mary was only 19 when she married so, possibly, hadn't travelled very far. Their children are all recorded on IGI in Llanfyllin and the first child, Mary Ann, was born 1820 so they were there then. Nothing else to go on I'm afraid.

Ceri

Offline Antonden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 May 15 19:09 BST (UK) »
John Hughes was 57 when he died, that would make him 25 years older than Mary. Certainly not impossible. Is it definitely the correct marriage?

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 May 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
May I suggest that you check the actual parish registers rather than rely on IGI entries, which are often incomplete, and sometimes totally wrong.  I speak from experience of F S records.  :o
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY