Author Topic: Rothwell Holy Trinity  (Read 10842 times)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rothwell Holy Trinity
« Reply #18 on: Monday 24 January 11 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Just to let you know I have commenced surveying and recording the inscriptions on the gravestones in Rothwell Holy Trinity graveyard. Photographs of the stones and transcriptions of the inscriptions are on Yorkshire Indexers. 

I am making my own map, and there is no current map at all. I have started in an area of the churchyard which I call the north west section. I would expect that this project will take almost two years as the graveyard is in a poor state, many of the stones difficult read, many upside down.

Eventually I will have a database of many names which I will make available to the church secretary-hopefully the administrator of the church's website will have worked out how we can put the information on the net. Please don't bombard me with look ups, but I have already been able to assist suprbr find the lost remains of his Spink relatives grave-the photograph is on Yorkshire Indexers.

http://www.yorkshireindexers.co.uk/forum/index.php

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 June 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
Superbr

Colin Hinson who hosts Genuki, Rothwell, has kindly agreed to allow me to place  inscriptions on the gravestones on his website. If you follow the link, you will see two parts of the graveyard carried out, much more to do, and a map as well in the future.

Here's the link.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Rothwell/index.html

Tom

Offline erin petrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 March 21 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone help me locate a headstone in Rothwell Holy Trinity? I have a picture of it (that I can't manage to post here...) and would like to visit it someday - I live in Vancouver BC and, of course, travel isn't feasible now. . It is a large headstone, comes to an oval at top memorializing these people. I would guess it would be 36" high if standing -

THOMAS ELLIS  of Carlton who died Aug 29 1881 aged 64 years "His End was Peace"  Also JANE, wife of the above, who died May 15, 1892, aged 71 years  (long quote follows) Also JANE SWIFT, daughter of the above, who died Feb 16, 1938 aged 80 years  Then chiseled in much late in lighter mark - Also WALTER SWIFT a very dear husband, dad & granddad died Nov. 28, 1975   

I'm hoping that this wasn't a headstone repurposed when the church was rebuilt. From the picture, it looks to me as though the headstone has fallen facing Wood Lane and is in the last row. I don't see a wall - the headstone faces a road but seems to be on an elevated area above it. I've visited Rothwell a few times and  I'm guessing wildly as to where it can be found :-)  Many thanks to anyone who can help with this!

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Erin: This the memorial detail for Thomas?
 Area

Leeds & District   

Cemetery

Rothwell (Holy Trinity)   

Record

Entry

Event Type

Burial   

Given Name

Thomas   

Surname

ELLIS   

Male   

Abode Place

Carlton   

Event Day

Event Month

Event Year

Age Years

Age Months

Birth Year

1817 *   

Birth Year Calculated

Register

Page

Page Row

Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 11:42 GMT (UK) »
The site identified as yorkshireindexers.co.uk no longer exists!
A new site with the following address replaces it: https://yorkshireburials.uk/
 Brian

Offline erin petrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Calverley Lad. Yes, that it the information for my Thomas Ellis.  Again, I'm sure it's Woods Lane side, closest to edge of cemetery.  I'm hoping I've correctly attached the image of the headstone here... Best, Erin

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes the photo does clearly confirm the information posted earlier.
Looking at an image of Holy Trinity church viewed September 2020 there doesn't appeaar to be a grave shown visible on Woods Lane.
 Brian

Offline Wave Watcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 10 November 22 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom Piper
My 2x Great-Grandfather Joseph Arundale 1824-1890 and 7 members of his family where buried in the graveyard of Holy Trinity Church Rothwell. Joseph own property, so I assume there was a headstone on the grave. From reading these postings, I now realise if the grave was originally in the grassed landscaped south section of the church, the headstone & grave no longer exists.
I have also checked the 3 North & North West sections which have been recorded (by you) and maintained online by John Redman, and found there was no Arundale grave in these lists.
Therefore has the mapping and recording in the overgrown North & North West section now finished or are there still headstones to be recorded? Best Regards Wave Watcher

Family History, Photography, Walking and Gardening

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 10 November 22 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Viewing this again after 18month gap just to say that some of the grave incumbents have been transcribed by the members of yorkshireburials.
https://search.yorkshireburials.uk
 Brian