Author Topic: Rothwell Holy Trinity  (Read 10857 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Rothwell Holy Trinity
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 June 10 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
 You are talking about 3 different issues here!

1) The original church grave location map and records

2) Later 19/ 20/21 century Maps by Groups who make a map for Graves head and flatstone & Tombs of  Memorial Inscriptions(MI's)etc and map locations of these epitaphs Stones located either to the the original markers or some new map reference point.

3) Cemetery Records that give a lot more information of who are buried in the graves with or without a marker or headstones and even recorded who was in pauper graves.

Very few original older ( 1550ish onwards as start of most PR's but the Church's go back futher) church records of Graves and maps survived but there are one or two but were mostly later built Church's in the 19th century onwards
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline superbr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
DOBFARM - Your response is the practical route - I`ve tried them and zilch. Have you any more useful advice to move me forward bar digging em all up and asking each yorik.  ::)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 July 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
Superbr

It will be a job for the winter months, because that is when the vegetation is at its lowest, just right now in June/July it is at its highest, just look at your own gardens. This is a church graveyard that was closed for burials in 1920; it is not a municipal cemetery, where records of whom was buried in a grave was kept meticulously in a large book. I understand there are some grave digger records, but they only start around 1898, and they are by no means complete or very detailed-it may say "child aged 6, and cost of burial", which is hardly much use for family history purposes. You are right, those records at the Archives or in Leeds Central Library, local studies section, on fiche, will  tell you that your relative was buried in Rothwell church yard and when, and by whom the service was taken. That may be another clue, the vicar, because  depending on whom the vicar was will determine where the burial is in the churchyard. The other thing to bear in mind is which of your relatives buried in the grave was buried first. If your, John Spink was buried in September qtr of 1870, was he the first of the family to be buried there. If the first one in the grave, bearing in mind that most of the graves are 8 feet deep, was say in 1850, then that also determine where the grave is-it wont be with the ones buried in 1870. There also various sections in the graveyard given over to people from the areas round about-just because the church is Holy Trinity Rothwell, the persons buried there came from Hunslet, Middleton, Woodlesford, Rothwell Haigh, not just from Rothwell. It would depend when a church was built in the area with a graveyard.

I enclose a photo of the graveyard to show you height of the vegetation and the problem facing anyone looking for a grave without a map or plan. You can see that some of the graves have sunk as the ground has shifted underneath. I understand that Leeds Council now are responsible for the graveyard, but would think that it would come at the end of a long list. They have just sprayed it with weed killer-lets hope that in 14 days the undergrowth will be thinner.

I will continue to look for John Spink, but a few more clues would be helpful. Many of the graves are unmarked, or the stone hidden under the ground etc.

Tom

Offline superbr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 July 10 06:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply Tom. Most of my Spink family were from Middleton/Hunslet area OF Leeds. We have a few family graves in the Woodhouse Hill cemetery of which I have found them all. In Holy Trinity lie the earlier Spink members of which is John Spink b 1796 d 1870 - his first wife Hannah Spink (nee Holmes) and his second wife Elizabeth Spink d 1870. Woodhouse Hill cemetery was opened in the 1840s and thats where I hoped they would be dying in 1870 which told me there was probably a family grave in Holy Trinity. The first place I started to look at Holy Trinity was by the vault of John Blenkinsop near to the church entrance and I stood on a piece of broken gravestone for George and Elizabeth Spink but I couldnt find the rest of the gravestone - it was probably dragged there from another part of the graveyard. Thats the nearest I have come to finding any Spink names in there and by the microfiche records there is quite a lot. I`ve been told quite a few people had started doing recordings of graves here in the past and hoped that just one might appear on a site like this. Fingers are always crossed. Brian.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 July 10 12:30 BST (UK) »
I think people have been put off by the enormity of the task. It takes a lot of committment. Having seen what they have done to the front of the church, they be tempted to do it at the back as well, but if they do I hope someone thinks of recording the MI's first.

Tom

Offline Dave45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 22:21 BST (UK) »
There are no records for Rothwell church graveyard which is very annoying. A lot of the stones have been removed as the ground caused them to fall over. I have a few generations buried there. I know roughly where they are but there is no markings.

A lot of the early graves were removed to build a church hall. From what I'm told, an advert was placed in the local newspaper to find living reletives. No-one came forward and so the residents were removed. Sad story really. On a sadder note, My dad recalls human skulls and other bones left on the road side during the church hall building work.

About 7-8 years ago the graveyard was badly overgrown. It was slowly cleared due to wildlife and is now clear. I do hope a graveyard plan is being made up. I would be willing to help out if anyone knows anything.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 July 10 07:49 BST (UK) »
Regarding the Rothwell Registers?
Found online Baptisms and Burials 1690 - 1763, and Marriages 1690 - 1812.
(Spink family name found).
http://www.archive.org/details/publications01yorkuoft
Enter 'Rothwell' into search box.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 July 10 12:59 BST (UK) »
Actually for an old burial ground Rothwell compared to the very old church yards Birstall and Hearthead  and many more old church's! as most of the early/mid and later stones removed or grassed over.
Very few old churchs have grave plans and those that do are most likely that they were built in the mid 19century.

Dave
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Dave45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 July 10 20:20 BST (UK) »
FAO Calverley Lad.

This online book is fantastic!! Nice work!  :D