Author Topic: John DENNIS, who are you?  (Read 5055 times)

Offline bluegenes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John DENNIS, who are you?
« on: Wednesday 12 May 10 14:23 BST (UK) »
I am trying to get some kind of lead on my 3 x gt grandfather, John Dennis

In the '61 & '71 censuses he gives his birthplace simply as St Columb, Cornwall but with different ages. I now have his marriage certificate from which I would resolve his date of birth to be abt.1827. However, since the marriage took place in Pembroke Dock, Wales and his address at the time given as Pembroke Dock, I have no further clues as to his pedigree other than his father was also John whose proffession is given as tailor. John stayed in Wales.

Cornwall OPC can only identify one candidate, but baptised 1831 in St John. I found this family in the '51 census, and Johns place of birth is given as St John, which is miles out! This also probably rules out the family moving and a late baptism.

Has anyone come across any Dennis families in St Columb (don't know which), and if so are there any clues that might be worth persuing?

Any suggestions gratefully received

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: John DENNIS, who are you?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 16:28 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1861 if I have it correctly he is married to Mary, he gives his occupation as Rigger, which suggests a mariner or maritime connections, as he was married in Pembroke Dock that would be consistant with that occupation.

If he was a mariner that would account for him not appearing on earlier census's.

If his birth cannot be found have you considered the possibility that he may have been illegitimate and falsified his father name and occupation on his marriage as this was a common occurance, or he may not have been born with that surname, his mother may have been widowed and remarried whilst he was very young and his  step fathers name was taken.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 17:16 BST (UK) »
What he gives as his birthplace may not necessarily be where he was baptised as far as looking for a record goes.

I was born in Devon but baptised in Cornwall at the chapel where my parents wed.

As Menheniot OPC I have several people bap there who were born in London and brought back to mothers place of birth to be baptised.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 17:30 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 census of St Columb there is a Jane Dennis aged 60 and Elizabeth Dennis aged 15

Going backwards John and Jane Dennis had three children baptised in Kenwyn (Truro)
1825 John and William
1828 Elizabeth

Could this be your family ? If they moved to St Columb when the children were young they may well have thought that was where they were born.

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline bluegenes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 May 10 07:12 BST (UK) »
Thankyou to Patrish and Fizzybubble for your speedy responses.

The couple in Pembroke Dock in '61 are indeed my ancestors and the thought had crossed my mind that John Dennis may have "mixed up the truth a bit".

The family in Kenwyn look very compelling and I will now pursue that lead, thank you. I'll let you know how I get on

Regards

bluegenes

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 May 10 08:40 BST (UK) »
You are welcome

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline stessy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 December 18 17:56 GMT (UK) »
HI

I have found a document on Findmypast which is declaration from the said John Dennis, along the lines.....

" I John Dennis of Queen Street, Devonport, .....Rigger in her Majesty's Dock Yard here do solemnly and sincerely declare that I cannnot procure a certificate of my baptism or Register of my birth and that I have neither father or mother living, but that from what I have always heard, understood and believed I was born at St Columb in the County of Cornwall on or about the fifteenth day of October one thousand eight hundred and twenty six and that I shall not attain my age....."

This was signed 1/5/1860 - which i would guess would be the prerequisite to him marrying Mary Elliott.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 December 18 18:23 GMT (UK) »
That's a great find, stessy; bluegenes hasn't been on rootschat since 15 March 12 , but if their email address is still the same, should get a notification of a reply to this thread.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 04:10 GMT (UK) »
In case bluegenes does see stessy's post think I can identify his parents (even though can't find his baptism).

A John Dennis married a Drusilla Kent 15/11/1824 St. Columb, Major (both of that parish).

Elizabeth Mary Dennis bp.25/1/1825 St. Columb, dau. of John Dennis (tailor) and Drusilla.

They next appear in London:

Drusilla Thomson Dennis b.7/1/1830, bp.28/2/1830 St. James, Westminster, dau. of John Dennis (tailor) and Drusilla.

9 months later Drusilla Dennis, 26, of St. James, buried 14/11/1830 St. George Hanover Square.

So John juniors birth would have between those of his 2 sisters,  When his wife died John senior was left with a 5 year old, a 4 year old (John) and a 10 month old baby.   By 1841 eldest daughter Elizabeth is back in St. Columb living with her maternal grandparents, Robert and Mary Kent but don't know what became of John Dennis senior, or where John junior, and dau. Drusilla were.

Drusilla Kent bp.18/11/1804 St. Columb, dau. of Robert and Mary

John Dennis bp.6/1/1805 St. Columb, son of James and Elizabeth.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk