Author Topic: Mayo & Chorlton-cum-Hardy connections  (Read 11042 times)

Offline atella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mayo & Chorlton-cum-Hardy connections
« on: Friday 14 May 10 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
does any one know about the English that went to Mayo from Chorlton-Cum-Hardy in Lancashire and the Irish that went from Mayo to Chorlton and why , was it work ? or other reasons. If they know names it may be useful of some of these people.

Many thanks for any information

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mayo & Chorlton-cum-Hardy connections
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 May 10 20:27 BST (UK) »
Not sure I understand this bit of your post-
If they know names it may be useful of some of these people.

If you are after general information on the people that lived in these two areas and their connections it would help to give us an idea of time period.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline atella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 May 10 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

apology dates are important we have very slim information.

Ancestors worked for the Knox Family of wealth who owned land in England we think in Chorlton-
cum-Hardy and Eire.(Definitely in Mayo)

Michael Rogers worked for them in Mayo(children where born in Mayo) he appears on the 1901 census in co Mayo.age 62 Herdsman.Rathbaun Templemurry Tirawley

We also found John Knox the same age 62yrs born the same time around 1839 in the same place Drumrevagh Ballynahaglish Tirawley Mayo

A later relative  Michael Rogers father Thomas Rogers we had been told worked for them in Chorlton-
cum-Hardy so time frame 1800-1901 other unknown relatives worked in England for the knox family.

I know that the name knox and Rogers appear in Chorlton but cannot tell if they are relatives of the people in Mayo.

I thank you for trying to help and if this information does not discover any more details I fully understand.

I was also interested in the general connection of the Mayo people going to this part of Lancashire for instance it may have been the 1840 famine that sent people to other areas of England or the world.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 May 10 12:03 BST (UK) »
you can search Griffith's valuation online which will show land owners & occupiers. The returns date are between the 1840s and early 1860s, and  show a number of Knox properties in county Mayo.

The valuation is available at : http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline atella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 May 10 14:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks,

Very interesting Thomas Rogers shown could well be the relative.

regards

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 May 10 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am still a bit confused here.

You seem to be saying that Michael Rogers in 1901 census is yours but then you say:
"A later relative  Michael Rogers father Thomas Rogers we had been told worked for them in Chorlton-cum-Hardy so time frame 1800-1901 other unknown relatives worked in England for the knox family."

Are you saying that your Rogers family are from Rathbaun and some worked in England in Manchester and you think this may be for the Knox family.

I found these by browsing:
http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/family-show.jsp?id=393

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=xPber6rxTiYC&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=ernest+knox+mayo&source=bl&ots=vls5s6aUsB&sig=YVa7VczcqBhGN_rr0mVlnUexU10&hl=en&ei=R-7uS-D6A5Hy0gSm6NjfBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=ernest%20knox%20mayo&f=false

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline atella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 May 10 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for sites find interesting.

Their are relatively few Rogers in Mayo and the English name suggests with the little knowledge about the family that they originated in Lancashire. (An old aunt told us, she has since passed)

The Rogers worked for the Knox family in England and Mayo.

Michael was born in Mayo his father we think was born in Mayo but worked for the Knox family in England and Mayo.

I have poor details and do not expect to find out much one can always hope and thanks for your input

All the best

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 May 10 13:32 BST (UK) »
If you have a look at www.landedestates.ie It will tell you about the Knox family.And the land they owned in Mayo.Good history reading.

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 May 10 13:36 BST (UK) »
As Leprechaun says, the Knoxes owned lots of land, including round Ballinrobe http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=293

My great grandmother's first husband was James Rogers and they lived in her family home in Cloongowla West, just outside Ballinrobe. His father was Thomas Rogers. I've been unable to find out where they were from but possibly round Liskillen. No idea if this is the same family.

Modified to add: James Rogers was born round 1840
MEEHAN, HENAGHAN Ballinrobe Co. Mayo; HENEHAN, Derby; GRIMES Coolisduff Co. Mayo; KEEFFE Clyard Co. Mayo; WARD, DESMOND Claudy Co. Derry; FEDIGAN Ardgillan Co. Dublin