Author Topic: smith  (Read 10605 times)

Offline Sandstones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Forfarian/ guthrie / Allardice
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 March 18 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian
I am a descendant of the Allardice of India and have a tree on Geni, 5 of the 13 Allardice children have
grandchilren alive. 4 in UK and 1 in  South Africa
Neville

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: smith
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 March 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Neville, we have corresponded before about Allardices. I have a little more information from South Africa, but it's not that easy to research there, especially from afar!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sandstones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Allardice
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 March 18 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian
I am from Durban, South Africa and have found most of the Allardice offspring alive today.
I am really interested in Captain William Allardice of Murlingden(just north of Brechin) who was in HEICS and where he went with the British East India Company. He married Catherine Low after a House of Lords judgement(1792 to 1802)which is an interesting court case on Courting.
His Grandson Alexander goes coffee farming most likely due to the inheritance issue in court case of Allardice vs Onslow about the coffee farm owned by the Cannon family who were the first coffee farmers in India.
David Onslow Allardice (my maternal grandfather) was educated at Royal High School Edinburgh where he was sent from India.

I was recently in Brechin looking to find more information.
I am now linked to Barnaby Guthrie after my DNA test and also MacMillans of Renfrewshire.
My sisters second name is Guthrie, after David Guthrie and Helen Guthrie

Please share your Guthrie tree.

regards
Neville Kirkwood
kirkwood@sandstones.co.za

Offline Bootsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: smith
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Bell, I am related to you as your grandfather Arthur Curzon Smith was the brother of my great grandfather John Lindsay Smith who was also born at Kelly Castle. I have a lot of family information and a wonderful family tree that goes all the way back to Laurence Smith of Brechin (1450). Get in touch and I'd be happy to share it with you.