Author Topic: smith  (Read 10604 times)

Offline Bootsa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: smith
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hiya Bell , Maj Gen John Smith of the Bengal Staff Corps was my gt. gt. Grandfather. I have an amazing family tree. I think I have located you on it.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
I have a note that John Mol(l)ison, husband of Fergusia Todd, was the son of Francis Mollison and Katherine Spence. But if this is so, why did he not name any of his sons Francis?

Is there any evidence of a connection between the Mol(l)ison family in Brechin and the family of the same name who farmed at Craigendowie in Lethnot for at least 150 years?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Bootsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 09:23 BST (UK) »
The family tree I have says that John Molison was the grandson of Francis Molison and the only child of John Molison and Catherine Spence.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
The family tree I have says that John Molison was the grandson of Francis Molison and the only child of John Molison and Catherine Spence.
That's possible too. I wasn't sure that I trusted that note!

Out of curiosity, I took a look at the baptism of the child born to John M and Fergusia Todd in 1770. The name is quite clearly Francis or Frances, not Fergusia, but there is no indication whether it was a son or a daughter. See attached.

Their fiirst son was John, baptised 15 September 1758 in Brechin. So they must have been married about 1757. So John, husband of Fergusia Todd, must have been born around 1730/1740.

Francis Mollison and Janet Skinner had 5 recorded children between 1695 and 1707:
Francis, baptised 28 March 1695
John, baptised11 August 1698
Janet, 4 August 1700
Margaret, baptised 16 October 1702
James, baptised 8 May 1707

So it is perfectly possible that John b 1698 was the father of John b about 1730/1740. In that case, however, it must be Francis b 1695, or even a younger Francis Mollison, who was Commissary Court Clerk in 1758, as their father (husband of Janet Skinner), would, if still living, have been too old to be doing such a job in 1758.

If John b 1730/1740 was an only child, who were the parents of Bailie David Mollison, who was John's contemporary and witness to the baptism of John's child Franc*s in 1770?

However, there is a gravestone in the Cathedral Kirkyard which (according to the MI booklet) reads
1777. Francis Molison mert 28.7.1769, w Kath Spence 9.9.1764, David who survived his wife a few years only, by s John mert 19.5.1789 (w Fergusia Todd, survived by one s and one da); John Molison late provost Brechin 21.6.1791.

So barring transcription errors, the stone seems to say that Katherine Spence was the wife of Francis, not John, Molison. All very confusing. (Also, shockingly sad, in that only two of Fergusia's 15 children survived her. Thomas was one; the other was Mary, who married George Whitson and died in 1856.)

Has anyone got a copy of the testament of Francis Molison, late Bailie of Brechin, who died 9 February 1722? It's a Testament Dative, so probably won't be very informative, but it might name his wife.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
BTW Maj Gen John Smith's aunt, Ann Mollison, daughter of Thomas Mollison and Ann Burslem, was the second wife of William Allardice of Murlingden. Her stepson William Patrick Allardice, son of William Allardice by his first wife Catherine Lowe, is referred to in this thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=773109.0

Offline Bootsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 23:58 BST (UK) »
I have a family tree showing Lindsay Smiths, Smiths, Campbell's and Molisons.

At the top of the tree is an inscription claiming the Lyndsay Smiths were smythes for the Lindsay clan... is there any truth in this?

One branch of my ancestors lived at Kelly castle in Arbirlot in the 1870s. - my gt gt grandfather was maj Gen Smith of the Bengal Staff corps. Is there any link with the Ramsay clan.

What tangible link do these Smiths have with the Lindsays ?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 October 17 01:50 BST (UK) »
Out of curiosity, I took a look at the baptism of the child born to John M and Fergusia Todd in 1770. The name is quite clearly Francis or Frances, not Fergusia, but there is no indication whether it was a son or a daughter

If it's of any help, it looks to be FrancEs as the 'Is' to me look quite obvious (not looped) & are noticeably dotted?

There does look to be an errant dot above the 'E' but it's very faint as if from the next page but the letter is looped like an 'E'  :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 October 17 09:29 BST (UK) »
Out of curiosity, I took a look at the baptism of the child born to John M and Fergusia Todd in 1770. The name is quite clearly Francis or Frances, not Fergusia, but there is no indication whether it was a son or a daughter

If it's of any help, it looks to be FrancEs as the 'Is' to me look quite obvious (not looped) & are noticeably dotted?

There does look to be an errant dot above the 'E' but it's very faint as if from the next page but the letter is looped like an 'E'  :-\

Annie
That is exactly why I can't make up my mind whether it's Francis or Frances. I suppose, since Fergusia's gravestone apparently says that only one son and one daughter survived her, and we know that Thomas and Mary both outlived her, we know that Francis/Frances must have died before 1785, so wouldn't have married and had a family, so his/her gender isn't all that important.

The point is that, despite what various online trees seem to say, the child was not baptised by the name Fergusia. That in itself is a bit odd because none of Fergusia's recorded daughters were named after their mother

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 05:41 BST (UK) »
I hadn't noticed the last post from Forfarian until now but...

I have just had another look at the name Frances/Francis...

I now notice the 'I' in all the other text is more upright than the (what I think) 'E' as it seems to have a forward slant but as you say Forfarian, it won't really matter but it's an observation which may help others when trying to figure what letter they actually see or think they see & how much we have to put into comparing letter formation  ???  ;D....

And still end up unsure  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"