Author Topic: Kemp of Newark  (Read 7233 times)

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kemp of Newark
« on: Sunday 16 May 10 19:11 BST (UK) »
I am making an enquiry into the Kemp family of Newark.

My mothers maiden name was Maunders and she came from Grantham.

I remember her speaking of an "Uncle Harry" and a "Cousin Roger" Kemp from Newark but I know nothing of this line of my family.

I would be most grateful if someone could help fill in some gaps.

With thanks, David Layne.

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
Re: Kemp of Newark
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 August 10 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
Can you give any rough dates as to when they were living in the Newark area, please?
I did a quick search on the historical directories site but nothing came up unfortunately.
BT Phone books might be a possible way of tracking them down; depending on the dates.
Kind regards,
Paulene :)

Offline Mark Kemp

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 November 11 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I may be able to help. Harry kemp was my grandfather's brother who was a sergant in the Newark Police around 1930's  Roger Kemp was his son  who passed on in the 90's

My grandfather was Arthur Robert Kemp

Regards,

Mark

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 November 11 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mark, many thanks for your reply.

My great grandfather was Thomas Kemp.  Below is a painting of Thomas that I understand was copied from a photograph.  The frame has a label on it that is partially destroyed stating that it was framed in Newark at either 48 Castlegate or 48 Watergate Newark.

Thomas is pictured below with his daughters Emily, my Grandmother (on the right) and Maggie on the left.  The picture was taken in Grantham and judging from the girls birth year I imagine their bikes were decorated for the Coronation of Edward VII in 1901.

I am unsure how Thomas is related to Harry, perhaps he is your Grandfathers brother.  Do you know if Harry seved in the Army during the First World War?

Regards, David.

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 November 11 16:54 GMT (UK) »

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Mark I am presuming this photograph is of Harry and his wife who's name I do not know and Roger.

Offline oneeightfour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 20:49 BST (UK) »
I am in awe of David Layne's postings about the Kemp family of Newark and Grantham and the replies they have elicited because they have stimulated my interest in family history which has lain dormant for many years, and to which I shall devote some time and effort now that I have retired. To see an actual painting of Tom Kemp (1844-1925) who is OUR great grandfather is something I never conceived might happen. I am John Kemp, descended from Tom's second marriage via my grandfather, his son John Gibson Kemp (1885-1965), the brother of Emily.

The bugbear of my life at the present is: what happened to his father, Richard Kemp (b. 1814)? He's on the 1841 census in Newark, but ten years later his wife Mary appears as a widow taking in washing, and in 1853 she married a younger man, Thomas Noble. Try as I might I cannot find the record of Richard's death, at least not in Newark. There are plenty of Richard Kemps who died around the country from the mid-1840s to 1851, so perhaps he is one of them? Would a sawyer by trade move around the country in those days and die far from home in his thirties? Oh well, it sets me a goal!

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 September 13 18:04 BST (UK) »
Firstly welcome Oneeightfour.
I am sure you probably already have these but here goes anyway just in case you don't.
Baptism's Newark, St Mary Magdalene
22-9-1844 Thomas son of Richard and Mary Kemp abode Newark father a Sawyer.
Sibling's
6-9-1835 John
11-12-1837 George
20-3-1840 Frederick
28-7-1842 Elizabeth Ann
8-11-1846 Eliza Lees

I can find no burial for Richard Kemp on NFHS cd, that fits the time and age frame. The nearest one to Newark is:-April 1841 Bingham 15/315

The only baptism for children in Newark with father Thomas Kemp are at Christ Church
3-2-1867 Richard son of Thomas and Mary Ann Kemp abode Chatham St father an engine driver.
10-8-1884 Tom Falkner son of Thomas and Adelaide Kemp abode Alexander Sq father a brewer's labourer.
Marriage Newark St Mary Magdalene
18-3-1866 Thomas Kemp and Mary Ann Gibson
Marriage Nottingham St Ann
25-6-1883 Thomas Kemp and Adelaide Faulkner
Finally marriage Newark St Mary Magdalene
5-6-1853 Thomas Noble and Mary Kemp
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline oneeightfour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 March 18 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Only a mere four and a half years after posting on this thread about my frustration of being unable to find the death details of my great great grandfather Richard Kemp (b. 1814) I am happy to announce that I have found what I have been seeking. In the Stamford Mercury there is a death notice which advises me that he died on 15 May 1848 in Sunderland. It confirms that he was a sawyer, was from Newark, and was 30 (it got that wrong, but not too wrong). It the Newcastle Guardian they don't go into this detail, but do specify that his decease took place at Bishopwearmouth.

Why Sunderland? I have ordered his death certificate from the GRO and eagerly anticipate learning both his cause of death and who the informant was. It would take three hours to drive from Newark to Sunderland today and Richard did not have that facility. It was a prodigious distance from home.

Still, I have identified the specific Richard Kemp from the list of about thirty of them ranging from Sunderland to London to Cornwall who died in the time period I was investigating.