Author Topic: WWI Service no query  (Read 5554 times)

Offline Lindyboo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
WWI Service no query
« on: Sunday 27 March 05 00:17 GMT (UK) »
I found a record of a possible ancestor on the Commonwealth War Graves site.  It shows a J Dutton (who may be my ancestor James Dutton) with a service number of 13447.  The record shows that this individual served as a Private in the Duke of Wellington's Regiment, 9th Battalion, in the 52nd Brigate, 17th Div.  He died on 9/9/1918 and is buried at Gouzeaucourt New British Cemetery.

Does anyone know where I might find more details about this person using his either his service number or any of the other details?  I had a look on the web for the Wellington regiment, but their web site doesn't suggest any help available on this.

Also, I've assumed that those who died abroad during the war would not have been recorded on the English civil reg index - am I correct?

Thanks 
McDANIELSON - worldwide
MULDOON/BANKS Co Sligo
SCHOFIELD Yorkshire
PULLEN/PULLEYN + variants Yorkshire
DUTTON - Stockport, Glossop, Halifax
JACKSON - Stockport
WALKER - Ireland
McDONALD/McDONNELL - Ireland Co Mayo
STAKE - Brighouse
BRADLEY - Pontefract
ASPINALL/SYKES - Brighouse & Ripponden

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WWI Service no query
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 05 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindyboo

The GRO WW1 death registers do have overseas deaths - I am not sure that they have them all but I have entries from these registers.

WW1 service records are at the National Archives, Kew, London but not complete.  See:

http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=18

Whilst there, see also the medal rolls (complete) which are online - might not give much more info than you have already - medals awarded and perhaps date of enlistment/entry into WW1.

You could try a look up in the "Soldiers Died" CD - sometimes there is info there that the CWGC don't have.

Try the local library/archives for the area in which your man lived - they often have information on WW1 soldiers - sometimes collected for inclusion on local rolls of honour/war memorials.  Also the local newpapers often listed casualties etc..

Best wishes

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lindyboo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 05 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your very helpful reply.  I'll certainly check out the sources you've suggested.

Kind regards
Lindyboo
McDANIELSON - worldwide
MULDOON/BANKS Co Sligo
SCHOFIELD Yorkshire
JACKSON - Stockport
WALKER - Ireland
STAKE - Brighouse
BRADLEY - Pontefract

Offline genjunction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 March 05 23:22 BST (UK) »
You probably know that the D of W's were from around the Halifax area. 

I did a google and found the address of the Museum for you.  My G Uncle was in the D of W's in WW1, while his brother was in the KOYLI's.  Both were from Wakefield so no one can understand why the D of W's as all the cousins were KOYLI lads.

Hope this helps as I found the KOYLI museum very helpful and supplied me with a photocopy of the war diary for the week of one of my g. uncles death.  Very interesting but sad.

Duke of Wellington’s (West Riding Regt) Museum
Bankfield Museum
Akroyd Park
Halifax
West Yorkshire
HX3 6HG

carol
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk
Wakefield Family History Sharing :)
Siddle, Sklinar, Officer, Hebden, Riach, Younie, Mitchell aka McKandie, Algar, Wilkinson, Haverson, Mucklow,
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk

Offline Lindyboo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 April 05 02:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol

I'll contact the address you gave and see if they can help -  v kind of you to look this up for me.

Best wishes
Lindyboo
McDANIELSON - worldwide
MULDOON/BANKS Co Sligo
SCHOFIELD Yorkshire
JACKSON - Stockport
WALKER - Ireland
STAKE - Brighouse
BRADLEY - Pontefract

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 14:23 BST (UK) »
hiya lindyboo,i have only just joined the forum so sorry its a bit late with this info,not much sorry.
joseph dutton.
born,lived and enlisted in bradford
killed at cambrai
aged 34
before the war he worked as a dyer in the cotton/textile industry,served his apprenticeship
his regt was part of the 17th [northern ] division,52nd brigade
you already have his details from the cwgc so i didnt include them,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Lindyboo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hello manmack - many thanks for the information.  It doesn't look as though this is my ancestor, as he was born in Halifax.  I'd be interested to know how you found his details - I see that you're researching WW1 - do you have access to documents/registers etc?

Cheers
lindyboo
McDANIELSON - worldwide
MULDOON/BANKS Co Sligo
SCHOFIELD Yorkshire
JACKSON - Stockport
WALKER - Ireland
STAKE - Brighouse
BRADLEY - Pontefract

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 16:36 BST (UK) »
hiya lindy,i have large records of soldiers killed in ww1,the details i posted are those for the man you posted,place of birth should be taken with caution because ww1 records are rife with errors,he may have been born in bradford but lived in halifax,i have come across men being born in other places but there records show a different one,the most common reason being that the mother had the child at her mothers,sisters,aunts etc,many people didnt use the hospitals.mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Lindyboo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 16:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks again mack.  I didn't know about the war records being inaccurate as you've described, so that's interesting. 

I've assumed that the info on the CWG site is complete, but is that the case?  If there's a chance of finding my James Dutton I'd be keen to know where else I could look.  Given the research I've done so far to try and find him, it seems a fair possibility that he died in WW1.

Thanks
Lindy
McDANIELSON - worldwide
MULDOON/BANKS Co Sligo
SCHOFIELD Yorkshire
JACKSON - Stockport
WALKER - Ireland
STAKE - Brighouse
BRADLEY - Pontefract