Author Topic: Banffshire families  (Read 38549 times)

Offline scotsfolk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Banffshire families
« Reply #27 on: Friday 05 November 10 17:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm a volunteer with Tayvalley Family History Society and we have been asked to try to trace descendants of William Pirie and Jane Tulloch. Their son, William  b 1897, Forres, was killed in action on 6/6/1918 in France, serving with the Seaforth Highlanders.  He had a brother, George who was in RAMC as a dispenser (of medicines) and a sister, Jessie Morrison Pirie.
In 1920 George's address was 29 North Road, Forres.  Try as I might I can't find the death of William Pirie sen or Jane Tulloch!!!
Any help will be most appreciated.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 November 10 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Jane Tulloch, wife of William Pirie and formerly of 29 North Road, Forres, died at 523 East 156th Street, New York, USA on 31 March 1929. This is from LIBINDX at http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp and refers to a death notice in the Elgin Courant and Courier of 3 May 1929. There doesn't seem to be a matching notice for William Pirie.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline scotsfolk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 05 November 10 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for such a swift response!  This gives me something to work on this WET evening. :)

Offline agjan02

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 12 November 11 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Euphemia was the older sister  (by 3 years ) of my father (Thomas)
Other brothers and sisters were Mary  George  John Jemima Alexander Findley Francis

Offline Conith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 04 December 11 11:25 GMT (UK) »
My WOOD connections  are with the surnames CARNEGIE, INGRAM,INGRIM,MILNE,LAW.
They hailed from around Fordyce, Boyndie, Peterhead, Boharm, Alva.
 They married into The MILNE, GOODBRAND,COCK, STEINSON/ STEVENSON, ROBERTSON,LORIMER,STRACHAN,LILLIE,BIRNIE,WEBSTER,BARCLAY,ELDER
and a few others.
Would love to make contact with anyone else with same roots  ty.

Hi Kiwiceltic,
I was just browsing and came across your post with the Steinson/Stevenson connection. I also have the same names in my line. Margaret Steinson/Stevenson is my 4 x g grandmother, it is her line that married into my  Wood line.

Offline Blue_Ian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 23 December 11 12:26 GMT (UK) »
I have an Albert Allan Pirie in my family tree.  Born 1911, Alvah, Banff.

Kind regards

Ian
McIntosh - Alvie, Inverness
McIntosh - Grange, Banff
Dyker - Aberdeen
Reidford - Marnoch, Banff
Gammie - Banff/Moray
Adam - Marnoch, Banff
Black - Inveravon, Banff

Offline meatmancgy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 15 July 12 00:00 BST (UK) »
I have history on Kittie Toper's ancestry, if you're interested :) Nellie, her sister, is one of my line of Findlays :)

Hello,

My family is listed below, please have a look :)

Marriage Notes for JAMES MAIR and CATHERINE FINDLAY:
At St nicholas Church, 19 Union Street, Aberdeen, Scotland, James Mair married, after banns, Catherine Mowat
Findlay, AKA Kittie Toper.Witnesses to the event were
Helen `Nellie` Findlay , sister of the bride, of 165 Seatown , Cullen , Banffshire, and Annie Mary Mair, brother of
the groom of 1 Campbell Street, Cullen.
Children of JAMES MAIR and CATHERINE FINDLAY are:
5. i. MARGARET FINDLAY4 MAIR, b. 22 Oct 1914, 165 Seatown Cullen Banffshire Scotland; d. 10 Jul 1998,
Aberdeen Infirmary.
6. ii. JAMES MAIR, b. 14 Jul 1921, Aberdeen , Scotland; d. 29 Dec 1982, Aberdeen Scotland.
iii. JOHN "IAN" MAIR, b. 22 Aug 1926, Aberdeen, Scotland; d. 14 Jul 1991, Aberdeen, Scotland.
iv. GEORGE 'DO DO" MAIR, b. 16 Sep 1928, Aberdeen, Scotland; d. Feb 2000, Aberdeen, Scotland.
4. ALEXANDER GARDINER3 MAIR (JOHN2, JAMES1) was born 02 Jan 1894 in Cullen, Scotland, and died 02 Sep
1964 in Aberdeen, Scotland. He married CATHERINE WOOD 06 Nov 1918 in Cullen, Scotland, daughter of
WILLIAM WOOD and MARGARET MAIR. She was born 01 Jun 1894 in Portsoy, Scotland, and died 21 Nov 1970
in Aberdeen, Scotland.
Children of ALEXANDER MAIR and CATHERINE WOOD are:
i. ALEXANDER GARDINER4 MAIR, b. 08 Jun 1920, 91 Seatown, Cullen, Banffshire, Scotland; d. 11 Sep 1940,
Lost at sea.
ii. *
iii. *
iv. *
v. *
vi. *
vii. *
7. viii. *
*details of people who may still be living removed