Author Topic: getting info from barnardo's  (Read 8249 times)

Offline ricoba

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
getting info from barnardo's
« on: Tuesday 18 May 10 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,not sure if this is the right place .I had a great Aunt that was in a Barardo's hospital in 1901.That is the last anyone knows of her.
I have paid 15 uk pounds for an  initial search and from that info they have found her on their records,that could take 3 to 6 months to be allocated to one of their team.
Has anyone paid the next 85 pounds to be sent the info and sometimes photos etc?
I just don't want to be ripped off and only get 2 or3 pages . I think I found her on the 1911 at other place so don't want to pay again for that info.
I know everyone has to be paid,just wondered if everyone else is happy with what they got. Thanks

Reading this through I sound mean :-[
Sims KENT
Hawkins GLOUS
Clarke STAFFORD
Danks WARW
Parker WARW
Godfrey M/SEX
RossWARW

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: getting info from barnardo's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 13:41 BST (UK) »
You talk about being "ripped off" are you dealing directly with Barnados or an outside researcher?

I am sure that Barnados would not rip off anyone, would not do their image any good.

But even if thay have found your relative, there is no guarantee that the amount of data that they have on that person is really what you want.

They will probably have d.o.b. - parents (if known) - next of kin (again only if known) and if you are lucky a photograph.  Some reports on that childs progress through the childrens home system.

I think it is a relative on what you are expecting to receive for your money.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline ricoba

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,Thanks for your reply,yes I am going through Barnardo's .I gave them her dob and place of birth, parents name  for 15 pounds.They say they have a record of her.
If I am only getting a few pages I dont think that is worth 85 pounds.I have to pay the money before they will look further.
I know I have to pay for their time but I thought it was a lot.
I wanted to get other peoples views and if they were happy with what they got.
 Cheers
Sims KENT
Hawkins GLOUS
Clarke STAFFORD
Danks WARW
Parker WARW
Godfrey M/SEX
RossWARW

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 21:45 BST (UK) »
Have you asked them what you are likely to receive?

They should be able to give you a list of what you will get and what you may get and possibly what they have but you won't get.

Yours won't have been the first application received.

Once you have the info from them you can make more of a considered choice as to whether to pay the £85 or not.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 23:21 BST (UK) »
To put another twist on it, i have in the past paid barnardo's, some was found and some not,
i looked at it that they are still in the business if caring for kids so the ££'s were at least being well spent,
i just thought of it that way to justify the cost, although i am pretty sure i paid £15 initial search and then ABOUT £45.

You also have to remember that they have to go through these files ie not just copy them,
as they have to protect any other kids/people that maybe mentioned so other names have to be censored,
so the papers have to be carefully scrutinised, I suppose if it was one of your grandparents it maybe easier to make the call, i assume it was one of your grandparents siblings?
MAYBE it could hold a snippet of info' that relates to them, and again only my own view i was just glad the info' was there.

one of my uncles was in the norwood home and we recently got his file well a few sheets of papers lol,
but it was so interesting, ie when he entered and left, trouble he got into :o
also it gave info about his fathers income and why he was placed in there, as i say i can't tell you how important the info is to you or the family, but in my case i sent the ££s and forgot about it and didn't think would it be worth it, otherwise you maybe disappointed with what you receive ;)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 23:44 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 May 10 21:27 BST (UK) »
Another thing I do know is that most/all of their records are not computerised and have to be physically searched.  Very time consuming.  I would assume that they do not have a specific department to deal with all the Family History queries that must come in.

We often forget in this ease of access to most records, that many charities do not have the resources to trawl through their records, which will probably not be very easily accessed.

And as said before this money will be well spent on their work they continue to do.

As Les said, you might find the money very well spent if the info contained is of interest to you, but if you do not think that information was any use then you will think the money was wasted.  Its a relative.

Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline ricoba

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 May 10 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi ,Thanks for all the replies.If I sounded mean to some of you I am sorry,I did not mean to be.I just thought 100 pounds all up,I have paid 15 so far ,was a bit much if I didn't get much info.I suppose you win some you loose some.I will be paying when in c6 months my name comes to the top of the list.Cheers
Sims KENT
Hawkins GLOUS
Clarke STAFFORD
Danks WARW
Parker WARW
Godfrey M/SEX
RossWARW

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 May 10 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

The links already given supply information on the specific Barnardoes department that deal with enquiries. Barnardoes are very clear about their services.

'Making Connections
Making Connections is a national and international service for adults, providing access to Barnardo's personal adoption and care records.
Making Connections also provides support, advice and intermediary services to adopted adults and former care adults. In addition, we offer independent counselling and support to birth parents and relatives on behalf of several local authorities.
Making Connections holds and manages the extensive archives for all adoption and care files relating to children formerly in Barnardo's care.
So if you are researching your family tree, Barnardo’s Family History Service can help you.'

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/fosteringandadoption/fosteringandadoption_resources/fosteringandadoption_making_connections.htm

They are positively encouraging family history enquiries.

'Barnardo’s Family History Service'

'If your deceased relative was a Barnardo’s boy or girl, whether in the UK or as part of migrations to Australia or Canada, we could help you trace information about them and their life in Barnardo’s....... '

The packages detailed in the (pdf) inform you what records will be searched by 'Making Connections'.

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/who_we_are/history/family_history_service.htm

Worth reading the pdf to know what sort of records were actually kept by Barnardoes

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/products-2.pdf

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk