Author Topic: Ayresome Cemetery, Middlesbrough - newspaper article  (Read 5979 times)

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ayresome Cemetery, Middlesbrough - newspaper article
« on: Tuesday 18 May 10 19:35 BST (UK) »
Yesterday's Northern Echo contained an interesting article about Ayresome Cemetery, now buried under an urban park in Middlesbrough.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/middlesbrough/8168837.Unearthing_secrets/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/tees/hi/people_and_places/religion_and_ethics/newsid_8689000/8689283.stm

It was a great shame that someone took the decision to destroy the headstones which were removed when the cemetery was decommissioned in 1962.  If it was Middlesbrough Council, then they should hang their heads in shame.  Just hope none of their descendants are researching their family tree and discover which one gave the orders.

Offline diggerman2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ayresome Cemetery, Middlesbrough - newspaper article
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 May 10 10:50 BST (UK) »
Very interesting.
Dunno why the authorities want to obliterate the past - instead of using our history to their advantage . ie: turning things like that into a point of interest

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 02:05 BST (UK) »
Very interesting.
Dunno why the authorities want to obliterate the past - instead of using our history to their advantage . ie: turning things like that into a point of interest

It sounds as though it would fit in with the Mayor's obsession to create a new image of Midddlesbrough at all costs. I went past the newest 'Art Feature' just the other day and saw it by accident. To say I was underwhelmed would be a gross exaggeration, it is a monstrosity of expensive overindulgence.

I must confess that my pet hate is to have these modern art sculptures situated at the side of major roads, which will inevitably distract drivers (much more than mobile phones) and they seem to be acceptable. Could we please have a bit of sanity brought into such decisions, or is that asking too much?

Colin

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 08:36 BST (UK) »
Tilly,
This subject appeared in the Evening Gazette June 24th 2009, However you are correct in that everything that is of interest or of some age  then the council and it's elected officers seem to think they have to destroy it, there were numerous buildings of architectural interest that were destroyed more or less "overnight" before any one had the chance to object, there are still others maybe not listed that are of architectural interest that are at risk either from lack of maintenance or from the beady eyes of developers.
I think it is excellent that there will be a cataloguing of the names of people interred in Ayresome Cemetery as has happened in the Cemeteries and lairs of Glasgow recently and the MI work done by Friends of Burlam Rd Cemetery Middlesbrough.
I was under the impression(wrongly) that when the cemetery was "decommisioned" that all the remains were disinterred and placed in an ossiary.
Colin, just watch the newest art structure change it's profile when there is a big wind and it is covered in plastic bags

James

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 May 10 00:15 BST (UK) »
Colin, just watch the newest art structure change it's profile when there is a big wind and it is covered in plastic bags

James

James,

Do you mean when it becomes covered in rubbish because of high winds, or is there a plan to make it 'living art' depending on the weather ???

I was wondering how to describe it, and a giant rubbish bin with no bottom seems to fit, but that can be shortened to giant rubbish. I think I've taken a leaf out of the book of a certain Boro man and have gained zero-tolerence  ;)

Colin

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 May 10 09:53 BST (UK) »
When it's covered in rubbish because of high winds.

Regards
James

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 November 10 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Just came across this thread and read with interest.  Several of my ancestors are buried in this cemetery - so far the ones I've found have been children or babies - and I found the articles in the links fascinating. 

I was born in 1965 and remember the headstones being propped up against the wall on the left of the garden, so they must have been there for quite some time before being removed and destroyed, otherwise I don't think I'd have remembered them.

It's upsetting to think they were destroyed, although I doubt whether any of my ancestors' graves were marked with a stone so I don't think there would have been anything of relevance to me, but to just destroy them I think is wrong.  They could have been laid as a path somewhere in the gardens, that would have preserved them for at least some time to come, wouldn't it?
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline mikeguess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 20:02 GMT (UK) »
I remember the headstones all stacked up still being there in the 80s, there is an MI of the cemetery still.
Spenceley , anywhere

Offline BSIGGYME

• RootsChat Extra
  • lollipop-people ar not just for christmas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 February 21 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi all thay were stud up along the wall but later on some were layed down so people could walk and see or read the stones I no my mam and dad were upset at wat the council did now there's excise gear in different places on the land and people just stand there talking crazy but the council like wasting money in boro