Author Topic: Grace Bouch - birth lookup please  (Read 7237 times)

Offline kptz

• RootsChat Member
  • Searching
    • View Profile
Grace Bouch - birth lookup please
« on: Wednesday 19 May 10 04:55 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am tracing Grace Bouch, born Holyhead circa 1811.  She married a James Moore in 1847 in Liverpool.  On the marriage cert her father, John Bouch, is listed as mariner.

Any help with discovering her birth info is greatly appreciated.

kptz
Carroll / Tighe / Walsh / Larner (Lardner)/ Moore / Bailey / Patterson / Miller

Offline gwynd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grace Bouch - birth lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 May 10 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,   In the 1841 Welsh census at North West Street, Holyhead, there is a John BOUCH, age 40, a Mariner, born in county.
       Wife Margaret,35, b in county.  Children, Richard 14,    Eleanor 12,    John 10,  William 7
Elizabeth 7,            Mary 4,        Margaret 18 months.       Grace Bouch and John are about the same age so  could be  brother & sister.         I cant find Grace Bouch in any census.         
       In 1841 census there is a lady who could be the mother living alone at Church Lane, Holyhead....
Elizabeth Bouch, age 65 born in county. (she is the oldest Bouch I can find in Holyhead)                                                                                                                                                                         There is also another John Bouch in the 1841 census in Plumbe St, Liverpool. age 48 a dock gate man b. Holyhead.     Wife, Ann,   35 b Holyhead.   Ellen, 9, daughter b Liverpool.  They are also there in the 1851 census.           I need to go to the archives on Anglesey in the next few months so if nobody else can help, I will look for you in the parish records.  Best wishes,  Gwyn

Offline kptz

• RootsChat Member
  • Searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 May 10 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwyn,

Thank you ever so much  for taking the time to look up the information.  I really don't know much about Grace except for the marriage cert and UK England 1851 Census.

On the UK England 1851 census [HO107/2179], Grace is with her husband James and two children.  Her age is given as 42.  She gives her place of birth as North Wales, Holyhead.

Kind regards,
kptz

Offline cae howell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 May 10 08:53 BST (UK) »
If you look at the 1851 census Holyhead the part of the family are still living in holyhead in and around where the mariners use to live in those days North west street is part of this area[Lands End]very old part of Holyhead people living there where international the harbour would of been full of ships going all over the world.
griffiths Anglesey,, thomas Holyhead,,Liverpool

Offline gwynd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 May 10 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi kptz,   What census details have you got for Grace  as I have found her on the 1851 to 1881 census returns.    Gwyn 

Offline kptz

• RootsChat Member
  • Searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 May 10 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwyn,

1851 England Census HO107/2179
      Grace is living with her husband, James.  His place of birth is given as Jersey and hers is Holyhead.  They are shown with two children.  The oldest, James, is 14.  On the marr cert of 1847 James,  +/- 1805, is listed as a widower  so the 14 year old must be from an earlier marriage.  The youngest is 12 months and doesn’t appear on later census records.

1861 England Census  RG 9/2669
      Grace Moore / Head / Wid / 48 / Charwoman / Holyhead Wales

1871 England Census RG10/3772
     Grace Moore / Head / 60/ Charwoman / Liverpool

1881 England Census  RG11/ 3611
     Grace Moore / Head / 66 / living with her grandchildren

There is a John Grierson living at the same premises on the 1861-1881 census records.  Perhaps she did not know or, the enumerator did not record it accurately, her age.  In 1861, she is 48, in 1871 she is 60 however in 1881 she is 66, not exactly ten years between the ages.

I re-read your first response re the 1841 England Census.  I did not have the one on Plumbe Street but did find this one RG number: HO107 /  Piece: 555 / Book/Folio: 8/12  /Page: 16.  Would you mind providing the information to locate the record you found?

Thanks for your time.    kptz

Offline gwynd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 May 10 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi kptz,   The 1841 census you refer to looks like Cashen Court, next to  Plumb St, Liverpool.  It shows             John BOUCH, 35, married & a Dockgate man. Not born in county
                        Ann BOUCH,35, wife, not born in county.
                        Ellen Bouch, 9 daugh, born in county..
                               HO 107/555/8     Page 8 of 25.
               They are at the same address 6 Court, Plumb St. until 1871 when Ann is a widow.  Hope this helps.   Gwyn

Offline kptz

• RootsChat Member
  • Searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 May 10 01:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Gwyn.

I appreciate your efforts.  According to the 1851 census, Grace was 48 -if that is the correct age.  Accordingly, she would have been born around 1811.  She married in 1847 and was living on Westmoreland Street at the time.  I am not sure what to think!

Kind regards,
kptz

Offline ronpsmith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Grace Bouch - & Howard Family
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
I got this thread on a search on "Cashen Court" and was very interested by the content.  I was trying to find where Cashen Court was in 1841 as my own ancester George Howard (b.1835 Holyhead) was there with his mother Ann (also born Holyhead ~1806-7).

Does anyone know if this was a Welsh community in Liverpool,  is it just a coincidence that there are two families close-by with a Holyhead connection, or could they even have been related or aquainted?

I presume Cashen Court was a small court with several homes (off Plumbe St.)?

I have been unable to find more about George's parents John Howard (shipwright) and Ann as George does not appear in the census. I wonder if his family originated in Ireland before Holyhead?