Author Topic: ** Completed** Gamlingay records look-up please  (Read 3836 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gamlingay records look-up please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 May 10 08:58 BST (UK) »
What I thought you meant by your suggestion  'It might be worth trying Ampthill banns to see if there's a William Page who married elsewhere' was that it might be possible to find banns in Ampthill, for a William Page who lived in Ampthill who was marrying a girl from another parish, in her parish.

That is exactly what I meant! Sorry if my last message muddied the waters

If the marriage had taken place in Ampthill then the banns published in Ampthill wouldn't have been transcribed. However if the marriage had taken place in another parish then the banns, if called in Ampthill, would show up in the transcript.

The transcript of Ampthill parish register would include such a banns entry. It wouldn't be necessary to go to BLARS; just to find someone who either has the transcript, or who has access to a copy eg at Bedford library. I would put a request on the Beds Look up board. It's the work of seconds to run down a 20 year period in the transcript looking for a William Page. The time element is getting to Bedford library!

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 May 10 09:38 BST (UK) »
There are Banns for Gamlingay for that period but it appears to be as David says, they are only transcribed if they contain extra information to the marriage entry or if there was no following marriage in that parish.

Selina

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 May 10 08:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks David & Selina, you have both been most helpful, much appreciated.

Will post on Beds board for Ampthill banns.  Wish me luck!  Regards, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.