Author Topic: Looking for an illegitimate child in 1891  (Read 8213 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an illegitimate child in 1891
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 May 10 06:49 BST (UK) »
You are definitely on the right track, Allan  I AM ANSWERING WITHIN YOUR MESSAGE AS I THINK THAT IS EASIEST.   I AM NOT SHOUTING!
  Insert Quote 
www.cheshirebmd.org.uk
    1890    John Wittingham to Louisa Cooke.... Nantwich . Civil Marriage   Cheshire Central  N24/8 CORRECT

1891 Florence E Whittingham  Crewe  Cheshire Central    CR/94/049 CORRECT

1886  Ethel Cooke    Crewe   Cheshire Central  CR/81/053  CORRECT

you say you have the birth cert ....were Ethel and Florence born in Crewe and registered in Nantwich - or vice versa ....does it give any info on the cert ??   I HAVE ETHEL'S BIRTH CERT. SHE WAS BORN AT KENT LANE, CHURCH COPPENHALL.

do you have Louisa Cooke birth ...if so , what year was she born ??  there`s one born 1850 in Sandbach  that would make her 36 at Ethels birth and 41 at Florences ?  can`t see another in that area......allan  NO I DON'T HAVE LOUISA'S BIRTH BUT I HAVE FOUND HER IN THE GRO REGIMENTAL INDICES AND SHE WAS BORN IN  MONTREAL CANADA IN 1867 TO CHARLES AND ELIZABETH COOK.  CHARLES WAS IN THE ARMY.

ADDED...I KNOW IT`S A LONGSHOT BUT found this marriage
1908 Ethel Cooke to Herbert Price  Crewe St Paul  Cheshire Central  701/4/241
on freebmd it states dec qtr so she would have been 22 at her marriage ..... I HAVE THE MARRIAGE CERT AND THE WITNESSES ARE HIS SIBLINGS.

AND YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT HERBERT!  SO YOU ARE AS FAR AS I AM WITH ETHEL!

Back to normal text.  I think Ethel may have been given up for adoption, or maybe brought up by a family member or could even have been in the workhouse.  She cannot be found in the 1891 census when she would have been 4 years old.  The next sighting is the 1901 when she was visiting the Cross family aged 14. 
RG13  3358  98  1

And I can get no farther.  I do appreciate your interest and help, Allan.

Abiam2

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 May 10 07:21 BST (UK) »
What`s to say Ethel wasn`t with Charles and Elizabeth (her grandparents ) until she became of school leaving age ??  if it was my child I would know she was well fed / educated in Army Quarters....have you thought of this as an option ?....she may not have been adopted / in workhouse..was Charles / Elizabeth still alive and in the army in 1891 census ?...do you know whether the CROSS family are related ??.and are they in Church Coppenhall ?.
population 595 in 1851 so only a small village.....allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 May 10 07:32 BST (UK) »
This is what I have on Ethel's mother Louisa Jane Cook and her Grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Cook and brother Charles R Cook.  Ethel's Grandmother, Elizabeth, came from Truro, Cornwall.  I cannot find either Charles Snr and Elizabeth in the 1881 census in the Uk and I don't have access to the Canadian census.  I believe the regiment returned to the UK in 1877. (The KRRC)

About COOK, LOUISA JANE
Birth Record from GRO Regimental Indices 1761-1924.............. 1871 Census Canadian census St Louis Division aged 2 years Q Anglian Anglais .................... 1881 Census Louisa is 13 and working as a domestic servant in Macclesfield, Cheshire..... 1886 Louisa is 19 - Ethel is born illegitimately............. 1891 Census Louisa is married with one child Florence. They appear to be living with her husband`s mother and family............... 1901 Census Louisa is living at Shavington Cum Gresty with three more children.............. 1911 Census The family are living at 33 Maxwell Street with three of their children. John is employed as a joiner.

So Louisa is back in England by 1881 and also her brother Charles R Cook

About COOK, CHARLES
1851 Census HO107 29 19 1 Living at home with his parents and three brothers. Hall of Shaw, Church Coppenhall, Cheshire................. 1861 Census RG9 691 157 6 Charles is a Private in the army and stationed at St Thomas, Winchester. He is 19 and single....... 1871 Census Canadian Census Quebec Centre Division No.3 Charles Cook age 29, Anglesterre Anglican Anglaise, Married. Have been unable to find Charles in the English 1881 Census.

And Charles junior
About Cook, Charles R
Charles birth is from the GRO Regimental Indices 1761-1924 Vol 151 Page 155....................1881 Census RG11 3539 81 44 Charles is living with his aunt, Jane Garner (transcribed as Farmer on the census) and her husband at Red Lane, Coppenhall, Cheshire............... 1891 Census RG2851 44 30 Charles is lodging wirh a family at 25 Forge Street, Nantwich and working as an apprentice engine fitter.  ..................Possible marriage later that year Marriage to Ada Louisa Collyer Dec 1891 (8a 686)

The Regiment moved from Quebec to Halifax in 1871, and from Halifax to the UK in 1877 and then in 1880 from Aldershot to Ireland.  If Charles had stayed in the army this would explain why he cannot be found in 1881.

And that's it!

"Whatever happened to baby Ethel?"

Cheers,
Abiam2

Sorry for the delay had to modify and add more.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 May 10 07:38 BST (UK) »
do you know John Whittinghams parents names ?   allan  oh and good morning....lol :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 May 10 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Allan,
Good to know someone else is up early on a Sunday morning! :)
I didn't follow John's history as he was not part of the line.  Just looked at a tree on Anc and his parents were Charles and Emma Whittingham and John was born in Crewe.
Abiam2

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 May 10 08:55 BST (UK) »
Charles Whittingham married Emma Nowlan at St Michaels Church Coppenhall 1863  Chesh Central 1034/2/214

so everybody seems to revolve around Coppenhall....I would think that Ethel would be in Coppenhall somewhere in 1891......
this is very frustrating for you isn`t it....we`ll find her , allan ;)