Author Topic: Belfast Midnight Mission  (Read 6789 times)

Offline marjmay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast Midnight Mission
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 March 21 19:01 GMT (UK) »
The Belfast Midnight Mission address was 29 Malone Place , Belfast. My mother was born there .Proni have some admission records and I have a copy of my grandmothers admission in 1919. It gives the
name of mother , date of admission , religion, age , name of baby and birth date , name of alleged father ,what date mother and child were discharged , name and address of foster parent,who they may have been recommended by ( my record was blank ) and address . I'm not sure if the address  means where the mother was admitted from or perhaps where she was being discharged to. My grandmothers "Address" column had a Mrs Uprichard and her address in Newtownards .Would anyone know if this is the place the mother was being discharged to to work in service .

Offline Georgiegirl555

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 February 23 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My father was also born at the Belfast Midnight Mission in 1943. I went onto the PRONI website but it states that the admission details are closed. Can I ask how you went about obtaining the admission details for your mother?
Many thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 22:20 BST (UK) »
It looks like marjmay's mother was born in 1919 and thus her birth was more than 100 years ago so that might explain why PRONI released the admissions information. However, it would be worth contacting PRONI to ask if they would give you your father's details. You may be asked to provide a copy of his death certificate if they are willing to do so. If your father is still alive then he should be the one applying and may have to provide proof of identity.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline marjmay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 March 23 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi , The reply you got previously was correct , in N Ireland they don't make the information  public until 100 years but your father should be able to get the information . The Midnight Mission or Malone Place hospital as it changed into is included in the enquiry into child abuse in homes in N Ireland that there was a report on last year . When my mother was there it was run by church people but around 1923 they started to get funding from the state and so was run in a different way . A new hospital was built next to the old terrace , I read that the unmarried mothers had to work cleaning and washing etc for the paying patients .