Author Topic: Knilands  (Read 3956 times)

Offline speedwobble

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Knilands
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 May 10 12:40 BST (UK) »
I found Knilands in Co Tyrone using the IGI search but as of yet I can't link them to my family. 

Best of luck with your search.

Offline jaykay62

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 May 12 01:54 BST (UK) »
As far as I have been able to trace, the Knilands family name came from an area near the small village of Killeter, Parish of Termonomongan, County Tyrone. They were there until the late 1800's when they emigrated throughout the world (due to the potato famine I expect.) Some went to America (there is still some descendants with this name in Illinois), some to England ( The Knilands name has only got one lady remaining), Some to New Zealand (No Knilands Family name remains) and some to Australia (Only one Knilands family remains here).
I have not had the time to trace the name pre 1870's but have a good idea of the Australian side. There is a lady in NZ who has extensively researched the Knilands family name there. I have also spoken to both the lady in England and the family in the USA but they don't know much and have not done an extensive research of the name. Maybe when I get more time and money I will be able to expand my research.

I will be happy to post specific information if required.
Regards,
W. John Knilands

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 May 12 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Don't know if this helps but a Bridget Knilands was born to William Knilands and Bridget McGoldrick in Castlederg Co. Tyrone on 13 Jan 1874. I can also find two families with a slightly different spelling, KNIELANDS, in the parish of Termonomongan. Their details were taken from the 1841 and 1851 census.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Jayne Bond

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 December 18 21:32 GMT (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of the Knilands you are referencing.  Yes, they were in the military in Barnard Castle. 

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 December 18 11:49 GMT (UK) »