Author Topic: BURTCHAELL family of Brandondale, Co. Kilkenny  (Read 32728 times)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BURTCHAELL family of Brandondale, Co. Kilkenny
« on: Thursday 20 May 10 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi. Is anybody researching the Burtchaell family of Brandondale? I am looking for a bit of information on an Archdall Burtchaell who seems to have married a Hannah Gore in Co. Wexford in 1849. I am assuming he has a connection to the family who were at Brandondale (not confirmed though!).

When I did a websearch, I found a Rev. Archdall Burtchaell, who seems to have been working as a missionary in Africa.
I haven't found a death for Archdall (doesn't seem to be one on civil registration - might have died overseas), but his wife is buried in Co. Wexford. It doesn't appear that they would have had children, as Hannah was quite a bit older than him.

I am researching the possible connection to my Gore line, so am only after information relating to Archdall himself, rather than the whole Burtchaell family.

Can anyone help?

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: BURTCHAELL family of Brandondale, Co. Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 August 10 23:02 BST (UK) »
Try graignamanagh Library.  They have an excellent local history section and information on the Burtchaells of Brandondale.  also they will give you the name of the local historical society as I think one of their members wrote a book on the Burtchaells.

Hope this helps.

Summerhill

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 August 10 05:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the tip Summerhill. Will check it out. Katharine.

Offline Burtch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 January 11 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Katharine, I am Robert Kinney Burtchaell. My brother, James Tunstead Burtchaell has done extensive research on our family. From his findings, I am able to provide you with these pieces, the last perhaps of most interest to you:

Not all emigration has brought Burtchaells to the United States.  Three brothers, Archdall (b. 1824), Francis Hamilton Loftus (b. 1827) and Benjamin Burton (b. 1830), all emigrated to Canada early enough for the youngest to marry there in 1847.  Archdall begot daughters, and settled in Fenelon Falls, while Benjamin Burton went to Coboconk: both in Ontario, about 60 miles northeast of Toronto. Their issue has not been numerous. 

This is matched by a more spicy rumor downstream on the Catholic side.  According to this memory one of the male Burtchaell gentry got one of the female Burtchaell yeomanry with child, and surprised everyone by “doing the honest thing” and taking her to wife.  The couple then left the child with her kin, crossed the Atlantic to create a new home, but perished before they could send for their child.  That child, raised as a Catholic, then went on to be a major forbear of the Catholic Burtchaells.  This rumor seems at first hearing to be improbable, but there turns out to be one child who might explain such a memory.  The Graigue Catholic parish register reports the baptism of a Margaret B. Burtchaell (full spelling), born 28/3/1852 to “Archbold” Burtchaell and Mary Howitt.  The father’s given name is quite unusual, and fits ill with all those Murphys and Corcorans.  It may well be a confusion for Archdall Burtchaell, son of Augusta Byrn and Patrick Burtchaell.  Archdall was born in November 1824 and would have been 27 at the time of this Margaret’s birth.  Also, he was one of those who emigrated to Canada and did not return.  Was this the spark that leapt the gap between the two distant houses?

The most obvious characteristic of the Canadian Burtchaells is how few reproductive males they included.  Thus, while Nicholas, who ran off to New Orleans and was known to George Dames B. as simply “d. unm.”, has produced (through a single one of his children) a massively expanding family to the seventh generation (it must be the Catholic Thing), Francis begets no one, Archdall’s daughters carry the name only one generation, and Benjamin’s two great-grandsons Ian and Christopher seem to leave no trace.  I say this, of course, quite conscious that the Canadians were set adrift orthographically and have spelt the surname variously.

My speculation on this—  There is one child who might correspond to this memory.  The Graig parish register reports the baptism of Margaret B. Burtchaell (full spelling), born 28/3/1852 to “Archbold” Burtchaell and Mary Howitt.  The father’s name is quite unusual, and may be a confusion for Archdall, son of Augusta Byrn and Patrick Burtchaell.  Archdall was born in November 1824: he would have been 27 at the time of Margaret’s birth.  He emigrated to Canada and apparently did not return.  Thus far the correspondences.
However, there are many unlikelihoods in this possibility.  First, we have a tentative identification of a woman named Gore, possibly  from Co. Wexford, as Archdall’s wife, and two daughters, the first named Sara, and the second married to a man called Smith. 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++ KATHARINE, more to come

Offline Burtch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 January 11 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Part Two, due to size from Bob Burtchaell:

ARCHDALL BURTCHAELL (PATRICK, PETER, THOMAS, MICHAEL BURTCHAELL OF  BURGAGEMORE) was born November 1824. He met (1) MARY HOWITT 1851. He married (2)’? GORE abt. 1853.                                                 

Notes for ARCHDALL BURTCHAELL:
         Archdall, Benjamin, and perhaps Francis all emigrated to Canada.

Correspondence from I. E. Peters, of Peterborough, Ontario, reveals that his wife Eda Belle was a granddaughter of Archdall (the brother of Benjamin). He was never forthcoming with promised information, but he was a member of the Ontario Genealogical Society.

More About ARCHDALL BURTCHAELL:
         Baptism:  24 November 1824. Thus G.D.B. 19O3~ G.D.B. elsewhere gives it as the birth date
         Emigration:    To Toronto, Ontario, Canada
         Property: Bet. 1848- 1851, Griffith’s Valuation of Ireland reports Archdall. Esq. owns property at Stripes in The Rower Parish, Co. Kilkenny

More About MARY HOWITT:
         Religion: Catholic

Marriage Notes for ARCHDALL BURTCHAELL and MARY HOWITT:
         The paternity of Margaret B. Burtchaell as recorded here is conjectural. The baptismal register of the Duiske Abbey Church (Catholic) in Graiguenamanah records the baptism of a Margaret B. Burtchaell). born 28/3/1852 to “Archbold” Burtchaell and Mary Howitt. The father’s given name is quite unusual, and fits ill with all the Murphys and Corcorans and other conventionally Catholic names with which the clan of Catholic Burtchaells in Graig intermarried. It may well be a confusion for Archdall Burtchaell, son of Augusta Bym and Patrick Burtchaell. Archdall was born in November 1824 and would have been 27 at the time  of Margaret’s birth. He was one of those who later emigrated to Canada and did not return.
         He is reported as having married a woman named Gore. This is mentioned because of a longstanding recollection among the Catholic Burtchaells from Graig that one of the Protestant Burtchaells had gotten a local Catholic girl pregnant.

More About ARCHDALL BURTCHAELL and ? GORE:
                   Marriage: abt. 1853

Child of ARCHDALL BURTCHAELL and MARY HOWITT is:
                          MARGARET B BURTCHAELL, b. 28 March 1852, Graiguenarnanagh.

Notes for MARGARET B. BURTCHAELL:
See Archdall Burtchaell, Marriage/More, conjectured to be Margaret’s possibly illegitimate father. The Abbey Church (Caholic parish) in Graiguenamanagh preserves registers that go back only to the early nineteenth century. A Margaret B. appears in those Catholic registers as the daughter born to “Archbold” Burtchaell and Mary Howitt in 1852 and presented for baptism. A subsequent marriage at the  age of 29 and the birthing of 6 children by the age of 38 suggests that this      young woman fit very naturally into the Catholics of Graiguenamanagh.

Children of ARCHDALL BURTCHALLL and ? GORE are:
                          SARA  BURTCHAELL, d. unm..

Notes for SARA BURTCHAELL:
                              Was Sara, of Toronto and Fenelon Falls, Ontario, the aunt of Eda lsabelle
                              Smith, wife of J. E. Peters?

? BURTCHAELL, m. ‘? SMITH.

Notes for ? BURTCHAELL:
                              J.G. Peters, her son-in-law, reports her and her sister. She had at least one daughter, his wife.

ANNA ELIZA BURTCHAELL. b. 20 September 1857; m. RICHARD                       TRUAX, 13 October 1886, Church of the Ascension, Toronto, Ontario; b. 19 August 1848;  d. 17 March 1899.

Notes for ANNA ELIZA BURTCHAELL:
                              Anna Eliza Burtchaell appears frequently in genealogical reports because of the Truax family. As a Burtchaell in Ontario, at this age, she must be one of the daughters of Archdall, especially since her first son, b. 2 December 1888, was Harold Archdall Truax.

More About RICHARD TRUAX and ANNA BURTCHAELL:
                             Marriage: 13 October 1 886, Church of the Ascension, Toronto, Ontario
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Katharine I can be reached at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 January 11 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the marriage of Archdall Burtchaell to Ms Gore in 1853

The lady may have been  from Duncormick Co, Wexford.  And also married there. There are a few Gores relative to that area only and also there was a small shurch of Ireland church in Duncormick .  Due to a dwindling congretation it was closed in the 1960's for a period, it is now used as the local catholic church.  There are some Gores buried there down through the centuries  and if you contact the local parish priest he will be able to give you further information.  You will find him on www.ferns.ie this is the website for the ferns diocesan catholic parish. There you will find information on all the churches in the  diocese of ferns & contact numbers for the clergy.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Summerhill.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 22:20 BST (UK) »
Brian J Cantwell memorials of the Dead;

Duncormick; COI

Gore;
Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth Hanna, wife of Frederick Gore, Esq, A.M. of Dungormuck, who departed this life October 15th 1873, aged 66 years, also the above Frederick Gore Esq A.M. who departed this life January 28th 1874, aged 66 years.

Jack

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 22:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jack. I already have that reference though, and both death certificates. That is the reason why I am interested in the link with Burtchaell, as those two Gore's would appear to be part of my family.
Thanks, Katharine.

Offline carolanne10

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 11:28 BST (UK) »
Wow... I have tears in my eyes as I read this.  I am Carolanne Burtchell (they dropped the "a" at some point),  Peter Burtchaell was my great great grandfather.  I understand he was the adventurous one... while his brothers went to Canada or New York, he went solo to New Orleans and married a creole woman (Half Irish/ half black or Native American) named Maria(h) Gerard.  They then moved up-river to New York.  I have lots more info but it's late and I only randomly stumbled upon this site while drinking and listening to Dropkick Murphys (the Irish runs deep in this one). 

Please e-mail *

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php