Author Topic: BURTCHAELL family of Brandondale, Co. Kilkenny  (Read 32743 times)

Offline mystrall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BURTCHAELL family of Brandondale, Co. Kilkenny
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi All

it looks like this thread it from last year or even 2012 but I guess came across it during a web search for info on my Burtchell ancestors.

I am Benjamin B Burtchells 2 times great granddaughter.  I am descended from his son Christopher. From what I have found out..there are two brothers who left Ireland to come here to Ontario and Ben was one of them. I know where he was born in Ireland.  I have yet to find the manifest of the ship he was on to get here.

I do have a bit of info on that side as I am researching the tree on another site.

Any help or information would be very much appreciated! Ty!

Offline geishatattoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Mystrall,

I am descended from Benjamin Burton Burtchaell through his daughter Catherine (Kate), who was Christopher's sister.  I have a lot of history about them, but also do not have the ship's manifest.  I don't think we will ever find it.  It appears, from all I've read, that they came over before ships' captains were legally required to keep passenger manifests.  When I can figure out how this works (RootsChat's format appears to have changed a lot since I was last on this site), I will send you a personal message and we can exchange info.  That will have to be much later today or tomorrow, though.  Right now it is 12:34 in British Columbia (where I am) and I have a full afternoon ahead of me.

Linda (geishatattoo)

Offline mystrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda

I would love to exchange info. It is nice to come in contact with a relative. I am in Ontario. I live about 3 hours from were the Burtcheals had their property. My dad is descended through them and he told me things but he never knew tons of info. We use to vacation in that area when I was young and David who was one of Chris's sons inherited the Burtcheal property.  Not sure if the descendants are still there or not. I remember the area fondly and being on the farm. ( I was afraid of the bull that use to stand in the field and stare)  lol

Hope to hear from you again soon!

Danaé

Offline AliasJason Everett

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Greetings,

One of the very few advantages of being unemployed is all the spare time. I had a pile of information on my family (families) so decided to organize it on a computerized family tree. Then began expanding on it.

My name is R. Jason Everett, father was Robert E. Everett, grandfather Harry Graham Everett. His mother was Hazel Augusta Heard, daughter of Joseph Heard and Catherine Butchaell (daughter of Benjamin Burton Burtchaell). I have information back to Michaell Burtchaell (1648-1732), mostly secondary sources.

I looked through the posts, some interesting details there (esp. Margaret B.B.). I also see some relatives, and a lot of posts from descendants I haven't tracked (yet).

Thanks & Regards,
R. Jason Everett

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Their whole Pedigree has been done and at National Archives of Ireland, 100's and 100's of people on it incl Tottenhams, Loftus in Wexford, Bryn's in Wicklow and them in Kilkenny....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline geishatattoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Jason:  I am your cousin Linda, your aunt Virginia's daughter.  I tried to send you a personal message on RootsChat, but couldn't.  I haven't been on this site in a long time, but it used to be that you had to post a few times before you could receive personal messages, and this may still be the case.  I don't want to put my email address on an open forum, so I will try to get your address from Heather.  It is true the MOST of the Burtchaell pedigree is available at the National Archives in Ireland.  Father Jim Burtchaell, our distant cousin, published the history of the Burtchaell family about 10 years or so ago.  I have the whole thing and have been working to fill the holes ever since.  I've found a other distant cousins, most in Ontario, so if you are interested in genealogy, I can tell you a lot.  BTW, your aunt Virginia is still going strong at 93.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 04 November 18 18:44 GMT (UK) »
http://digital-archive.kilkenny.ie/items/browse?page=9

Link to a sketchbook by Mary Burtchaell.  Pencil sketches from 1850s  and 1860s.   Includes some of Brandonvale  House.  Click on "page" icon for pdf download.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 31 October 19 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Some Burtchaell references included in this link,  scroll down to Brandondale

http://homepage.eircom.net/~lawekk/HSESB.HTM

Offline sburtchaell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 17 January 22 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Todays date is Jan 17, 2022   Hello,  My name is Steven Burtchaell (age 66) from New Orleans. Lousiana.   Nicholas Burtchaell, my great, great grandfather was born in Ireland ,  lived his life, in New Orleans. Louisiana.  He was a River boat pilot in New Orleans.  He owned property in New Orleans that lasted many decades till around 1998 in the family.  Nicholas Burtchaell father was Patrick Burtchaell and mother was Agusta Byrn in Ireland.  According to my father he was estranged from the family for an accident in Ireland. They lost track him on the record.
His history was lost till Fr Jim Burtchaell discovered us in the 1968.  I have all his letters and inquiries that my Aunt Wyona and family made to Ireland Historical Society and Fr. James Burtchaell in the 1960-1988.
Ken Ryall visited us in New Orleans around 2012 to gather details.  I'm interested to get a copy of the Family Tree Father Burtchaell created and Coat of Arms that i knew he had hanging in his room at Notre Dame in the 1970's.  i visited there with him in 1975 and exchanged letters with him till 1988. 

For many years I've tried to connect the dots of our family history. Most of our family records and pictures were destroyed in 2005 when Hurricane Katrina decimated our home with 12' of water. 

It would be great to continue to share details of our shared background.  Thanks. Steve Burtchaell