Author Topic: Gunn Family From Laide,Gairloch  (Read 10392 times)

Offline rhona2144

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gunn Family From Laide,Gairloch
« on: Thursday 20 May 10 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi , can anyone please help me find information on some people from my family tree .

1/    Johan Gunn born Laid,Gairloch 1876 I know she died 1963 . I would like to try and find out about Johan being at Oban please and the family she stayed and / or worked for . 1901/1902 I think she stayed at Argyle Square Oban with the Robertson family . I would also like to try and find out about Johan at Dornoch 1908 . I have no information atal about Johan being at Dornoch .
2/    Rodina Gunn born laid,Gairloch 1874 I think she died 1932 . I would like to try and find out about Rodina being a visitor at Clecthorpes Farm , Ploughmans House Fodderty . I also would like any information on Clecthorpes Farm please .
3/    Murdo Gunn born Laid ,Gairloch 1885 . The information I have on Murdo is that he died in Africa . I dont know how or why he went to Africa . I had tried the Commonwealth War Graves Commision where there is a Murdo Gunn but everything about him is unknown .
4/    Donald Gunn born Laid,Gairloch 1880 he died 1962 .  I think he Queensland Australia .
Any information or ideas where I could look for info would be very much appreciated . I hope this all make sense as this is my first time on Rootchat . Many thanks Rhona

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gunn Family From Laide,Gairloch
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 May 10 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Rhona  :)

Welcome to Rootschat.

Your Johan Gunn was a cook in an hotel in Argyll Street, Oban in 1901
District 523, ED 4 Page 8

John Robertson, 43. pier master , b. Callander
Mary Robertson, 44, hotel keeper, b. Inverness 
Mary E Robertson, 19, b. Oban
Margaret Robertson, 12, b. -do-
Christina Robertson, 10, b. -do-
Ewen Robertson, 10, b. -do-
John Robertson, 8, b. -do-
Robert A Robertson, 5,b. -do-
Charles Hermann, 29, hotel waiter, b. Germany
Jessie Grant, 25, barmaid, b. Invergarry
Mary Fraser, 26, housemaid, b. Edinburgh
Margaret A Fraser, 20, nurse (domestic) b. ? Invernessshire
Johann Gunn, 21, cook, b. Aultbea, Rossshire (very close to Laide  :) )
Catherine Cameron, 25, laundreymaid, b. Ardnamurchan
Margaret Stoddart, visitor, 42, living on own means, b. North Uist

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 May 10 13:22 BST (UK) »
You're probably aware that she married Murdo Urquhart, an hotel keeper, in Poolewe in 1912 but it's difficult to find out anything between the 1901 census and her marriage.

Where did you find that she was in Dornoch in 1908?  There are some rather grand hotels there. Maybe she had a spell as a cook in one of them.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 May 10 13:27 BST (UK) »
Have you tried inquiring at the Gairloch Heritage Museum:

http://www.gairlochheritagemuseum.org/resources.html

(telephone and e-mail are on the above link)

They seem to have a lot of local information and someone there may know of the family in detail.

Gadget

Offline red zell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 May 10 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Rhona,

Re Rodina & Donald being visitors at "Clecthorpes Farm Ploughmens House" in Fodderty (per 1901 census) -

I have no information for you (at this time), but wanted to let you know that we have this interest in common; I have recently concluded that I am a descendant of the Mackenzie/Mckenzie family (four members listed) that made up the balance of the household in which Donald and Rodina Gunn were listed (yet to be determined is whether your visiting Gunns were friends or relatives of my Mackenzies or just fellow lodgers at the farm - maybe visiting one of the 10 other people listed by the census as occupants of the farm?)

1901 census
Name:   Murdo Mckenzie
Estimated birth year:   abt 1817
Relationship:   Head
Spouse's name :   Margaret
Where born:   Gairloch, Rossshire
Registration Number:   65
Registration district:   Fodderty
Civil parish:   Fodderty
County:   Ross and Cromarty
Address:   Clecthorpes Farm Ploughmens House
ED:   7
Household schedule number:   29
Line:   1
Roll:   CSSCT1901_17

Household Members:   
Name   Age
Murdo Mckenzie 84
Margaret Mckenzie 60
John Mckenzie 34
Catherine Mckenzie 24
Donald Gunn 19
Rodina Gunn 25

Are you aware of any Gunn-Mackenzie connection?

If I make any headway in my quest, I'll let you know.

Red Zell

Offline rhona2144

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 May 10 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi , and thank you very much for the info . I did know Johan married Murdo Urquhart and they had a son Murdo 1913 and sadly Johann`s husband Murdo died 1914 . I have been in contact with Murdo (the son) daughter . But she could not give me the info I'm looking for . Can I ask how you know Argyll Street was a hotel as I have tried to find this out to no avail . I have been to Gairloch heritage museum and got a few books that mention the Gunn family but again not the info I'm looking for . While at Gairloch I met with William MacRobbie who also knew of the Gunn family but not the info I was looking for . I really want to try and find out about Johan Gunn , she had a child Isabella MacDonald Gunn out of wedloch at Dornoch 1908 that she did not bring up Isabella and her family knew nothing about Isabella . My dad was born out of wedloch in Dundee 1934 and hid mum Isabella MacDonald Gunn (from Dornoch) did not bring my dad up . Isabella had I think 3 children to 3 different fathers.   Isabella brought up XXXX until he was around 5 then he was put in a home she did not bring up my dad or XXXX. My dad met his brother for the first time last year both in their 70`s and they had no knowledge of each other . XXX can not believe his mother told his nothing of my dad as XXXX kept in contact with his mum Isabella stayed with XXXX until she died 1994 . XXXX had a house fire and lost everything so he has nothing to show of his mum . I hope I haven't went on too much . Once again thanks for the info . Rhona

Moderator's Note: Edited to remove details of possible living person in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging recent data.

Offline rhona2144

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 May 10 15:26 BST (UK) »
The last post I made I would like to thank Gadget for the info . I didnt realise I had to put to who I was talking to . ( Im still learning ) . Thanks Rhona

Offline rhona2144

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 May 10 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Red Zell , and thanks for the info . Rodina + Donald Gunn are Johan Gunn`s brother + sister . I am looking for info of them to put together my family tree . Johan is my great grandmother . I would like to know why Rodina was a visitor to Clecthorpes Farm and why did Donald go to Australia did he have family there . I am on the Gunn side . Johan`s daughter Isabella had my dad . Any info would be appreciated . Johan,Rodina and Donald`s mum and dad were Murdoch Gunn + Isabella Mackenzie who had 9 children that I know of . Isabella Mackenzie`s mum + dad was Roderick + Catherine Mackenzie (same maiden name)  Many thanks Rhona

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 May 10 16:25 BST (UK) »
I dont know if you have this

Laide Cemetery

In loving memory of Isabella MacKenzie beloved wife of Murdo Gunn, Cattle Dealer, Laide who died 17th Feb 1905 aged 58 years. The said Murdo Gunn died 7th Oct 1914 aged 79 years. Their daughters Katie died 20th May 1940, Christina died 16th Aug 1943. Their son William died 11th Sep 1950. Erected by her husband and family.