Author Topic: Gunn Family From Laide,Gairloch  (Read 10378 times)

Offline rhona2144

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gunn Family From Laide,Gairloch
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 May 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Ghostwhisperer and thanks for the info . I do have the info from Laide Cemetery . That is the correct Gunn`s im looking for . Many thanks Rhona

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 May 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Rhona

Not sure if you have this info already, but Johan Gunn is buried in Gairloch Old Cemetery. The MI reads:

"Erected by Johan Gunn in loving memory of her husband Murdoch Urquhart died at Hotel, Strachur 18 November 1914 aged 38 years. Said Johan died 19 March 1963 aged 87 years."

I think I've got a photo somewhere of the stone - from memory it's a black stone column - just let me know if you'd like me to look it out for you.

I'm related to Gunns from the Aultbea/Laide/Udrigle area and have a distant connection to Johan Gunn as her great grandfather (Alexander Gunn who died in 1855) is my ggg grandfather.

Best wishes
Lynn
Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline rhona2144

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 May 10 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Chortlegirl and thanks for the info .
I have the info already but thanks for the info anyway . I have a book that has a CD with it with all the pic`s from the cemetry by Anne Roots I think her name is . Johan is my great grandmother and im looking for info on her being at Dornock 1908 and maybe 1 or 2  years before and after 1908 . Once again thanks for the info it`s very much appeciated . Thanks Rhona .

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 May 10 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hello again Rhona

I've been trying to get something about Johan's stay in Dornoch for you. At the moment, there is just the birth certificate to go on and background information from the 1901 census.

Johan was living at Torboll when she had Isabella. I'm assuming that this was Little Torboll as Torroble/Torboll is at the other end of Strath Fleet in the parish of Lairg.   Little Torrboll is half way between Dornoch and Golspie on the River Fleet. I don't see many large houses there at that time - a farm (uninhabited), a gamekeeper's house, a ploughman's house, a shooting lodge,  9 croft houses and  2 gardeners's houses.  Johan was a cook, so she may have been working in one of the houses there. The most likely one would be the shooting lodge. Alternatively, she knew someone who lived there and stayed with them while she gave birth to Isabella.

Have you investigated the Mcdonald as Isabella's middle name? It doesn't seem to come from Johan's immediate family (her mother was a MacKenzie) so maybe it came from Isabella's father.

I've checked out the Mcdonalds in Torboll on the 1901. There appears to be only one household with that surname - a Janet Mckay, aged 66, and her nephew John Mcdonald, aged 44, born Dornoch, both living in one of the  crofters' houses. John was a labourer. It's difficult to tell who was living in that area in 1907/8. There is nothing in the National Archives of Scotland which covers that period for Torboll. It might be that the 1911 census will reveal something else.

A location map of Torboll can be seen here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08qn/   

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline rhona2144

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 May 10 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget and thank you very much for the info . You really know your stuff . I haven't been able to fine anything out about the MacDonald name but you are correct about it not being on the Gunn side . I also think MacDonald is taken from who got Johan pregnant , Isabella`s dad . I`d love to be able to find the info I need as easy as you make it look . Once again thanks for the info and ideas . Many thanks Rhona

Offline gunna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 April 12 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Rhona,

I have just started looking into my family history and i noticed a Johann Gunn is listed as being a visitor at my great grandfathers house on the 1911 census in Ullapool, Parish of Lochbroom. She was aged 26 and her occupation was listed as being a cook. My great grandfather is called William Gunn and i believe Johann was a neice or cousin. William's father was also William Gunn as was his father before him.

Sorry to post on a thread that has gone on so long but i thought this information may be of interest to you.

Regards

Alisdair Gunn
Gunn's of Achgarve, Laide, Gairloch, Little Gruinard, Ullapool, Lochbrrom, Badentarbet.
Cameron's of Kinloch Rannoch

Offline rhona2144

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 April 12 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for the info . I appreciate any info and you have given me some info that I didnt know . Do you stay at Gairloch ? I went to visit Gairloch 2 years ago and loved it . I wish it wasnt so far away as I stay in edinburgh and only went for 2 nights . I keep wanting to look at my family tree again incase ive missed something and you have made that happen . I didnt know there was a conection in ullapool . Many thanks Rhona

Offline CatElean

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 05:50 GMT (UK) »
I am new to Roots Chat but can assist with members of the Gunn family from Laide who emigrated to Queensland, Australia. These are Johan's uncles William and John Gunn and Johan's brother Donald Gunn. Donald passed in Rockhampton, Queensland on 16 May 1962 and was buried in the Laidley Cemetery Queensland by John Gunn's descendants. I have read your messages with great interest. William emigrated in 1855 and John circa 1860-1864 but we do not have details of John's voyage. It appears from his death certificate that Donald emigrated circa 1932.