Author Topic: Looking for a Stroud workhouse inmate  (Read 18762 times)

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Stroud workhouse inmate
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 21:40 BST (UK) »
There's something fishy about that Strickland family in Cheltenham.  Firstly little George was born in Cheltenham according to the census, but if he was, his birth wasn't registered.  There is a blind stepdaughter, Ellen Cull - I can't find her for sure in 1851, but in 1841 she's with her mother Ann Cull and a  brother and sister (presumably), Henry and Jane.  I couldn't find a Cull/Strickland marriage either.

I wonder if George was actually Ellen's or Jane's son, and the family passed Ellen or Jane off as Ann Strickland at the workhouse  :-\  As Angela points out, Ann Strickland was far too old to be Georges mother, even allowing for the fact that she ages about 12 years/decade and if she was his mother, why would his father's name be left off the birth cert?.

There are no Ann Strickland marriages or deaths in Glos between 1855 and 1861, that I can see...
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Squirrel Nutkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hmm... lots of food for thought!

On the birth certificate, all it says about Ann is that she is resident at the workhouse.

With the Cheltenham family, is it unusual for births or marriages not to be registered?

All very mysterious!
Beauchamp, Nevill, Payne, Southgate Sands, Strickland, Perret, Davies, Loxham, Chapuis

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 10:49 BST (UK) »
marriage registered Cirencester which covered Colesborne
Ann Cull june qtr 1843 vol 11 pg 312a with Richard Stickland the only other on the page

George is registered
George Stickland sept qtr 1854 Cheltenham vol 6a pg 339
Still with parents in 1871 and can be found in later census records living in Charlton Kings as Strickland

Ellen is in a 'Blind School' in Southwark in 1851 HO107/1565 folio 300 pg 62

So  this looks to rule out the family.

::)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 11:00 BST (UK) »
That's pretty definite, Osprey - well done  ;D

So where are they......? Squirrel Nutkin - do you know why George was in India? Could they already be there by 1861?
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Squirrel Nutkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 11:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for finding all that, Osprey. At least I can leave that family in peace!

With regard to India, I had understood from a relative that George went there with the Dunlop Rubber Company as a pattern maker. However, that theory has had a hole blown in it by the fact that Dunlop did not establish themselves out there until the 1920s! The only possible link with them at that period is that they were experimenting with growing rubber in the Botanic Gardens in Calcutta, a link which I am about to pursue.

In terms of when he went, I don't know, although I have always assumed it was as an adult. He certainly had a son in India in 1880. He was married to a lady called Harriet, but I can't find out any more about her at the moment. I think he met her in India, but I don't know that.

There is an entry in the 1871 CR which looks like George. He is lodging with a couple in Minchinhampton, and I think if I have read it right he was an unemployed stair dresser (what was one of those?! Perhaps it says stone dresser?)

But where, oh where is Ann?!
Beauchamp, Nevill, Payne, Southgate Sands, Strickland, Perret, Davies, Loxham, Chapuis

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 12:51 BST (UK) »
I thought it said hair dresser? Compare the H in Head ?

Have you tried for records of the family in India?

http://www.fibis.org/

There are a couple of submitted births to George & Harriet on the IGI, but also an extracted marriage of a Harriet Strickland in 1890 in West Bengal to a John Thomas Perry.

:-\

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 13:32 BST (UK) »
I see from another post that you have do have some info from India.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=457914.msg3192023;topicseen

The Harriet Strickland who married in 1890 was a widow. Her father is given as Charles Eagles. There is a possible baptism 17/10/1852 for a Harriet dau of Charles & Christiana, born 28/8/1851, in Saugor, Bengal.

These are on
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/
as well as baptisms of Vincent Norman & Cassily Lionel Strickland, Vincent's marriage, and children baptised to Vincent & Cassily.

Other children to Charles & Christiana include George, Jane & Thomas Casaly. I can aslo see a Henry Cazaley Eagles.

Too much of a coincidence?

::)

Just noticed Harriet was first married 29/9/1871 in Madras to William Cox. But haven't found her marriage to George as yet. 

Offline Squirrel Nutkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 16:40 BST (UK) »
Osprey - you are a star!!  ;D ;D ;D Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I have found 2 dozen new rellies, the star find being Wm George Strickland marrying Harriet Cox in 1875!! How about this: he puts his father's name as William Strickland! Is it true or was he telling porky pies? England was a long way away if anyone wanted to check up, and it seems surprising Ann didn't mention it if she was married/widowed.

Back to the census records, but first I really ought to pay my living rellies some attention, having been glued to the computer since lunchtime! Addictive, isn't it?!

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 18:39 BST (UK) »
Excellent! So glad you've found the marriage. I've been having far too much fun playing with the Family Search Pilot and Fibis, but I hadn't noticed that marriage. It's really interesting that the Eagles seem to have been there for generations and possible the Elliotts (Christiana's family) too.

Probably better to give a name, any name, than leave a blank on the marriage. After all, who would know?

So George must die before 1890 when Harriet remarries., but can't see a record of his death as yet.

Charles Eagles was army, his death & burial in 1860 in Rangoon show him as staff sergeant. I wonder if George joined the army? Or did he go to India to join family? There are other Stricklands around......

:-\