Author Topic: Looking for a Stroud workhouse inmate  (Read 18766 times)

Offline Squirrel Nutkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Stroud workhouse inmate
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 May 10 18:23 BST (UK) »
Not a sausage! I feel completely stumped! I can find no trace of either of them in 1861 CR, though I think the 1871 one you found is probably George. The birth certificate says nothing except that Ann lives at the workhouse, the father is not named.

By 1880 George was married in India - that's when his first (I think) son was born.

There are so many Ann Stricklands on the CRs and none of them that I can see obviously fit in with Stroud. I have emailed Glos archives to see if they have any helpful workhouse records - I think they have some minutes of Board of Guardian meetings or something - but am not hopeful.

Any ideas? Would an illegitimate workhouse inmate have been baptised do you think? He certainly had his kids baptised in India.
Beauchamp, Nevill, Payne, Southgate Sands, Strickland, Perret, Davies, Loxham, Chapuis

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 May 10 18:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, very likely that he was baptised, if the mother was in the workhouse rather than just using the hospital there to give birth. The Creed registers record the denomination of the person being admitted. Guardians kept records of birth & baptisms as well.

I've had a look through the census of Stroud workhouse in 1861, neither of them there.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 May 10 08:10 BST (UK) »
He was baptised in Stroud as William George Strickland son of Ann Strickland on 14 Jun 1855. The record is on FamilySearch RecordSearch.

There may be more information in the original image but it doesn't look as if the father was named.....
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Squirrel Nutkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 18:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Osprey and AngelaR. I am thinking that if neither of them were in the workhouse in 1861 Ann is likely to still have been alive, my thinking being that otherwise George would still be there. I suppose a relative might have taken pity on him - what do you think?

Do you know where George would have been baptised? Was there a chapel attached to the workhouse, or would it have been the local parish church?
Beauchamp, Nevill, Payne, Southgate Sands, Strickland, Perret, Davies, Loxham, Chapuis

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 20:00 BST (UK) »
As far as I'm aware, baptisms at that period would have taken place in the Parish Church - St Laurence. Unhelpfully, the familysearch entry just says Stroud  ::)

You may be aware that the workhouse is now converted into private flats and calls itself 'Stone Manor'. I don't live very far away from it and certainly wouldn't want to live there. It's only in very favourable conditions that it doesn't look grim!
I'm not doing well finding George in the 1861 census, I have to say!
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 20:34 BST (UK) »
I don't think he's in the Stroud workhouse anyway. I went through all the pages and no-one who seemed to match.

:-\ 
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 20:38 BST (UK) »
The only Strickland I could find of the right sort of age was a George in Cheltenham, son of Richard. I would have suspected that he was actually the grandson and his mother had been the eldest daughter, except for the fact that the daughter Ann was aged 10  ::)

The only other solution I can come up with is that Ann married and that he's with her and his step father under the new name......

Offline Squirrel Nutkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 20:46 BST (UK) »
Frustrating, isn't it?! In later life George certainly used the name Strickland. I scoured the workhouse in 1861 CR too, but no matter how hard I try, none of the names will fit! I wonder whether the bit of census they were on got damaged? Or I suppose people must have slipped throught the net sometimes?

Do you think it is worth trying St Laurence to see if their records provide anything useful?

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 21:10 BST (UK) »
St Laurence will have the baptism, but I doubt if there will be any extra information beyond what family search has - 14 Jun 1855. In that set of records, there's only the one Strickland baptism.

I'm just about to go away on holiday, otherwise I'd check the St Laurence entry for you in my local library to see if there were any extra notes, but I shan't be able to for some weeks.

I would be surprised if Ann and George's stay in the workhouse was a very long one - I should imagine that Ann went in there to have the baby, as workhouses operated as general medical and support services for the poor. I think they just had to be somewhere else in 1861 but where is anyone's guess  ::)

Did George's birth certificate give any more details about Ann, such as occupation?