Author Topic: west family london East End Whitechaple/Stepney  (Read 4094 times)

Offline bettalma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
west family london East End Whitechaple/Stepney
« on: Friday 21 May 10 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone.

Does anyone have any info on the West family before 1800.  John Edward West b1861 d1920 m Elizabeth M Welch 1886
William Francis West b1829 d1863 m Sarah J Stammers 1859
William Francis West b1807 d? married Elizabeth Ann Newman 1826

They were in business with a Brass Foundry in Whitechaple in the 1800s.
John and his father William are intered in Tower Hamlets (Bow) cemetery.

Bettalma

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: west family london East End Whitechaple/Stepney
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 May 10 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Holy Trinity Minories Stepney 10th January 1841
Elizabeth Ann West aged 40 Back Church Lane Whitechapel

12th September 1843 St George the Martyr Southwark
William Francis West 37 Widower Brass founder Church Street William West Brass founder
Eleanor Wise 38 Widow Church Street  John Coverdale Mariner
Both signed
Witnesses William Stead and Mary West

1851 census HO107 1546 folio 253
Back Church Lane Whitechapel
William West 45 Head Married Brass f? Whitechapel Middlesex
Elena West 46 Wife Married Shadwell Middlesex
William West 21 Son
Mary West 20 Daughter
Alfred West 15 Son
Elizabeth West 17 Daughter
plus 1 apprentice

all the children born Whitechapel Middlesex

Same address on 1841 census and 1861 census (widower)

There are two William Francis West deaths in 1863 since the father lived consistently in Whitechapel his is probably the one registered there.

Deaths Jun 1863  West  William Francis    Stepney  1c 345   
Deaths Dec 1863   West  William Francis     Whitechapel  1c 303

From the IGI

WILLIAM FRANCIS WEST
Christening:  16 MAR 1806   St Mary Whitechapel, Stepney, London
Father:  WILLIAM WEST 
Mother:  MARY WADHAM 

On 12th February 1826 William and Mary Wadham West baptised 4 children at Holy Trinity Monories
Mary, Jane, Frederic and Albert - no birthdates given in the register.
The family were of Haydon Street and William was a brass founder

2nd September 1827 Caroline was baptised at St Botolph Aldgate her birth given as 20th July. The family address was 30 Haydon Street and William was a brass founder

Holy Trinity Minories 8th December 1847
Mary Wadham West 64 Gloucester Street

same church

30th March 1845
William West 66 Back Church Lane Whitechapel

a Walter West of the same address was buried 17th November 1844 aged 13 months

24th February 1805 St Mary, Whitechapel
William West
Mary Wadham Bath
bachelor and spinster of the parish
Both signed
Witnesses Charles ? and Joanne Bath

There was a marriage between a Coats Bath and a Sarah Wadham at St Ann Limehouse 10th September 1772 by licence, bachelor and spinster. Both signed. Witnesses Jane Leigh and Thomas Und? Howard

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 May 10 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,
From the London Gazette, WFW in the debtors' prison in  1842: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/20143/pages/2592 (second column).

Regards
Rob

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 May 10 10:15 BST (UK) »
Another ref from 1842, calling him William West the Younger: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/20175/pages/3686 (halfway down first column).
Rob

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 May 10 10:23 BST (UK) »
Possible connection with this Leicester brass foundry business: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/21059/pages/133 (near top column 1)
Rob

Offline bettalma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 May 10 18:44 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for the info, most grateful.

Regards Bettalma

Offline LizH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 April 16 04:27 BST (UK) »
These are my ancestors.

My gg-grandmother was Jane West, dau of William and Mary (Bath) West who m. William Kelk at Burgh-le-Marsh, LIN, 1837. She emigrated to Australia as a widow as did all her four children in 1860s.

Jane's sister Caroline m. Richard Doughty and she (as a widow) and her family also came to Australia.

Another (older) sister, Mary, m. George Greenwell and that family all came to Australia.

I looked for decades for information about my West ancestors but like my cousins descended from the other West sisters in Australia oral history had it that they were daughters of the Earl de la Warr - with apparent evidence to support that fact.  Fortunately my g-grandfather left an autobiography in which he referred to his uncle West, a brassfounder of Whitechapel. That put me on the right track.

I found this interesting paraghaph at http://www.stgite.org.uk/media/backchurchlane.html#4
The West family had worked locally as brass (and copper) founders since the early 19th century; William West, who married Mary Bath in 1805, lived at 30 Haydon Square, Minories. Family baptisms (including four children together on one occasion), weddings and funerals were at St Mary Whitchael, Holy Trinity Minories or St Botolph Aldgate. His eldest son William Francis (1807-63) lived and worked at 58 Backchurch Lane. He married Elizabeth Newman, who bore two sons  and two daughters, and on her death he married Eleanor Newman, a widow from Southwark. In 1837 he subscribed £2,500 (out of a total estimated cost of £1.7m) towards a scheme for a London, Salisbury, Exeter, Plymouth and Falmouth Railway. Detailed plans for this line were drawn up by John Braithwaite in 1845, with various legal wrangles over the prospectus for the 'Direct London and Exeter Railway Company'. Whether or not as a consequence of this, in 1842 he found himself (sued and committed as 'William West the younger') in the Debtors' Prison.

This is an old thread but if Bettalma is still on line I would love to communicate by pm.

Liz
Brisbane, Australia

Offline bettalma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz.
Thanks for your message.

William Francis West was my G G G Grandfather b 1807 Whitechaple London d 1863. G G Grandfather also William F West b 1829 d 1863 who M Sarah Stammers  they had three son's William, Henry, John Sarah brought them up on her own.

My Grandfather John Edward West professional cricket player for Middlesex and England b 1861 d
1920 London ( Roman Road east End )

Married  Elizabeth Maria Welch Grandma. They had six children Lily, Reginald, Glady, Harry, Vera and Mum Alma. 

Mum was Alma Sarah West b 1909 Bow London d 1951 Haworth Yorkshire ( better known has the Bronte Country due to the Bronte Family Literary sisters )

I guess somewhere down the line we could be cousins removed as the say.

Good to hear from you and thank you for the snip about the Debtor's prison, interesting.  He must have picked himself up because when he passed away in 1863 he left over £3,000 pounds. In them days a lot of money, i think could be millions pounds today.

I'm a big cricket fan the season has just started, it must  be in the blood. Our Yorkshire coach is a Aussie, Jason Gillespie, he is good, won the championship past two years.

Please keep in touch, would love to know more about the other branches of the family.

betty.mitchell@hotmail.co.uk

Betty
Haworth England   

Offline LizH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty,
I have sent email to you today.  I hope we can both learn more about our common West ancestors through sharing what we know about our own families.

Liz