Author Topic: Can anyone tell me where to find the parish records for Hawkchurch, Please?  (Read 8836 times)

Offline Janmay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone tell me where to find the parish records for Hawkchurch, Please?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 July 10 20:20 BST (UK) »
Not mine but my son's by my 1st marriage.
A half sister of Tryphinia, Mary Case b 1806 Hawkchurch daughter of  Thomas Case and his 1st wife Susannah Syms married  Jacob Jeffery.  Their daughter Honor, b 1850 Hawkchurch, married Amos Bowditch--they had 8 children who never strayed far from Hawkchurch.

Tryphinia's brother Robert b 1821 went to the Channel Islands where he married on Herm before moving to Guernsey. His children traveled to the US --I am in contact with some of their descendants.

William's parents were Henry Fowler 1775 and Maria Powell 1793.

Jan

Sweetland, Turl, Stamp, Fowler, Solway, --Devon
Bowditch, Spiller, Marsh, Trask--Dorset
Chapman, Dickins, Mathews, Wood, --Northants
Hawkins, Thorpe, Barber, Cummins,---Hampshire

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 July 10 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan:  Thanks for your message and the interesting information.  I can't quite follow the line but I haven't had time to think about it enough yet.  I really appreciated the names of the parents of William as I didn't have the name Maria as the wife of Henry, so thanks very much for that.   My grandmother, Annie Ellen Fowler b. 1878 or 1879, Axminster was the daughter of Walter Fowler b. 1854 Hawkchurch and Harriott Brown b. 1855 Bridport.  She left Axminster and emigrated to Canada when she was in her 30's.  I hope we can exchange further information, perhaps using the personal message option.   Regards, Susan

Offline Janmay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 July 10 15:15 BST (UK) »
The answer to your question is --
 the Hawkchurch Records are held by the Devon Record Office in Exeter while the records for the adjoining parishes of Wootton Fitzpaine, Whitchurch Canonicorum and Thorncombe are held by the Dorset Record Office in Dorchester.
It can take several trips on the A30/35 to find and verify you have the right family. 

Sweetland, Turl, Stamp, Fowler, Solway, --Devon
Bowditch, Spiller, Marsh, Trask--Dorset
Chapman, Dickins, Mathews, Wood, --Northants
Hawkins, Thorpe, Barber, Cummins,---Hampshire

Offline hannah9000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 31 July 10 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan and Jan,

William Fowler is a direct descendant of mine, his son Walter was my grandad's grandad...! I'm slowly progressing towards an extensive tree, and would like to share information with you both. Please feel free to message me (Jan I think you may have already made contact through another site!)

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 31 July 10 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Hannah:  I would be very glad to exchange information that I have regarding the Fowler family with you.  If you could provide me with your email address, we could correspond through a private message rather than this site.  Regards, Susan

Offline EmFowler

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 March 11 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Susan, Jan and Hannah,

I too am connected to this family tree! My father in-law's grandfather is Edwin Fowler, son of Walter Fowler and Harriet Brown, and brother to Annie (your grandmother Susan!) and I presume your great grandfather or grandmother Hannah? I came across the forum when doing a random search for the name Tryphena Case (was really just looking for the origin of the name as it is so unusual!). I am very interested in family history but this is the first time I have ever really got involved in looking back, have just come to the end of a free 14day trial with findmypast.com. Hopefully you will still all receive this message - I would love to get in contact with you all to see what else you know about the family?! It's amazing that we are all part of the same family tree!! Hope to hear from you,

Emma

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 March 11 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello EmFowler:  So good to find your message.  It showed up in my "Junk Mail" folder and it was lucky it caught my eye and I didn't delete it as I normally do.   Annie Ellen Fowler was my grandmother and she did have a brother named Edwin.  I have her birthdate as 26 July 1879 and Edwin's baptism 4 Oct 1885.  My grandmother immigrated to Canada in 1913 (she was 34 years old) and she met and married my Grandfather, Herbert Dixon Robinson.  They had two children, my Uncle Alfred and my mother, Ivy Mary.  One of the interesting facts I found when I was searching was that Annie had worked for a wealthy family in Hawkchurch named "Patterson".  Apparently he was a cattle dealer and Annie and her sister, Elizabeth (Bessie) were employed with the family.  Apparently he took my Grandmother on a trip to South America as an "au pair".  I think that trip must have made her realize there was an exciting world beyond Hawkchurch, Axminster.  She was also found on an 1911 Census as a Hotel Manageress in Bloomsbury, Coram Street.  She then headed to Canada on her own.  I would be interested to learn what you have discovered about Edwin.  No room left on this message box.  Susan