Author Topic: Alexander McAuley Murphy (1791-1876), Carrickfergus  (Read 19881 times)

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McAuley Murphy (1791-1876), Carrickfergus
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 01:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you Paul - error corrected.  Getting older is the pits! I'm having trouble navigating this website. Is it truly me, or is it just not intuitive?

Cheers, my friend.  Stay well.
Carole Ann

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 02:36 BST (UK) »
Carole Ann, it is not just you as I have the same problems.  I agree that getting older is definitely the pits.  We need to recruit some of the younger folk to do some of the hard work for us.  With very best wishes from Osaka, Japan, presently the land of the typhoons....Paul

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 13 October 18 16:03 BST (UK) »
The below extract relates to the Murphy family of Ballytober which adjoins Killyglen, so they're probably related somewhere along the way...

PRONI D1824/B/1/2/1/17
1837 - James Owens to John Murphy, John Callwell etc - Ballytober

Indenture dated 25th Sep 1837 between James Owens of Holestone on the one part; and John Murphy of Ballytober, farmer John Callwell [Caldwell] of Tobergill, farmer, James Gardner of Belfast, merchant clerk.  Said John Callwell and James Gardner are executors of Thomas Murphy late of Larne, gentleman.  John McNinch the elder of Kilwaughter and Samuel Richards of Drumain, farmer, executors of James Murphy late of Ballytober.  [All of the other part?]

Whereas by release dated 1st Nov 1750 between Nicholas Stewart of Glenarm, gent, since deceased, of the one part, and John Murphy of Ballytober aforesaid since deceased of the other part.  Stewart let to Murphy land etc in Ballytober, to hold during the lives of the lessee, and John Murphy second son to said lessee aged about 14, and for and during the life of Thomas Murphy, fifth son of lessee aged about 7.

And whereas by an instrument in writing dated 9th Sep 1758, Stewart for the considerations therein mentioned, inserted the life of Alexander Murphy, third son of said John Murphy, in the place and stead of said John Murphy the lessee who had then lately died.

And whereas by indenture dated 12th Apr 1797 made between William Owens of Tildarg, Esq., and Alexander Holmes and Alexander Carley both of Larne, merchants, as trustees for John Murphy, James Murphy, Robert Murphy and Thomas Murphy, minors, sons of Thomas Murphy then late of Ballytober.  Reciting that said William Owens had become possessed of the estate of said Nicholas Stewart; and that the interest of the said John Murphy the lessee in said original indenture had become vested in the said John Murphy, James Murphy, Robert Murphy and Thomas Murphy; and that John Murphy and Thomas Murphy, two of the cestue que vies in the said original indenture were dead; and the said Alexander Holmes and Alexander Carley had nominated the said John Murphy and James Murphy to be added and inserted in the place and stead of the said John Murphy and Thomas Murphy, which William Owens did.

And whereas the rent and reversion became vested in said James Owens party hereto, and whereas said John Murphy party hereto and John Callwell and James Gardner (executors of Thomas Murphy), and said John McNinch and Samuel Richards (executors of James Murphy), respectfully claim to be entitled to the estate and interest of the said John Murphy the original lessee in 1750.

And whereas [in 1837] the said Alexander Murphy the life added in 1758 and James Murphy one of the lives added in 1797 are dead, and the said John Murphy party hereto, one of the lives inserted in 1797 is the only life on which the original indenture depends.  And whereas the parties have nominated for James Owens to insert two royal lives, which James Owens agreed to do.

[The rest confirms the lease from James Owens unto the other parties.]

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 15 October 18 08:24 BST (UK) »
Gilby, many thanks for the additional information.

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 17 November 18 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Gilby,
Thank you for posting this information. Yes, I agree that it must relate to the Murphy family of Carrickfergus, although it is difficult to attribute directly to the clan that immigrated to Canada.

CAM

Offline francois_murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 03 March 19 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cam48,

I'm a direct descendant of John and Christian  Murphy.  Any new details on where and who were they parents?.

Thanks .

Frank

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 03 March 19 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the parents are John Murphy (1760-1837) and Christian McAuley (1762-1834).  Nine children were born to them, and five came to Canada in the 1800s.There is a picture of their headstone in a book by George Rutherford, entitled "the Old Families of Carrickfergus & Ballynure".

Of which child of John Murphy and Christian McKenzie are you. My research is quite extensive. You may view my tree at ancestry.ca under caroleannmurphy. I have found the families of the descendants of Davis Murphy (1848-1918) who emigrated to the US in his early 20s and have managed to reconstruct that part of the family.

Offline francois_murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 03 March 19 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole Ann,

I'm a descent of Samuel Alexander (1842-1884), John's son.

I'm not on ancestry.ca, is there a way that I can see your findings?

Thanks
Frank

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 03 March 19 17:21 GMT (UK) »
I’m a descendant of John(1804-1869), brother of Samuel, Davis, and Susan Christina. I can send info on your branch of the tree if I have an email address.