Author Topic: Joseph Stuart BLACK of Kingarth, Bute  (Read 9746 times)

Offline marianjackson1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Stuart BLACK of Kingarth, Bute
« on: Wednesday 26 May 10 13:22 BST (UK) »
I'm researching my other half's family and his great grandmother's name was Catherine Bannatyne BLACK born in 1864 in Kilchattan Butts. Her father was Joseph Stuart BLACK (born 1825 in Quochag Butt), keeper of the beavers on the Mount Stuart estate. I've found his article on the beavers published in the "Journal of Forestry" in Feb 1880, a very exciting find!

Joseph married Jane WYLIE in 1852 in Paisley, and they had 10 children. These children married into POLLOCK, MARR, MILLAR and STENHOUSE families and others I have yet to find. At least 6 of the children left Bute for the mainland, Glasgow in particular. Catherine ended up in England. I'm not sure how.

Joseph's parents were John BLACK and Mary McLEAN. John was born in Auchagoile in Kilfinan in 1791, and Mary came from Taunich in North Bute.  She was born in 1783. Her brother Daniel McLEAN was a gardener on the Mount Stuart estate.

Is there anyone else out there researching Joseph Stuart Black and his large family? If so, I'd love to share the information I have found, and hopefully find out some new information.

Offline Butearchives

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Stuart BLACK of Kingarth, Bute
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 May 10 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there - I'm the archivist at Mount Stuart and would love to hear more about Joseph Stuart Black. There is also some information relating to his work with the beavers in the archives here.

Offline marianjackson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hello - I'm delighted to get your reply.
I have found a couple of publications that mention the 3rd Marquis of Bute and his reintroduction of beavers to the Isle of Bute. They also mention Joseph Stuart Black and one of them reprints his article on the beavers, which was  first published in the Journal of Forestry and Estate Management in 1880.
I have all the usual birth, marriage and death certificates for Joseph and his family, as well as the census returns from 1841 to 1881. Joseph died in 1887 from cirrhosis of the liver. He must have enjoyed his whisky! The 1991 census lists his widow Jane as keeper of the beaver grounds but I think they had died out by then.
Phil's Mum Iris knew that her great grandfather worked on the Mount Stuart estate. I'll ask her if she knows more about the man himself.
What is the best means of sending you the information I have? I could email it, or alternatively post a CD or paper copy.
I would be fascinated to know more about the information you hold in the archives about Joseph and the beavers. Kind Regards, Marian.

Offline marianjackson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 June 10 17:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry, that was the 1891 census for Jane Black, not 1991!!!

Offline ab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a Mary Black  [Mc Pherson]   born approx. 1777 somewhere in Kilfinan.  Her  father James married Kathrin Mc Nocoll. Their children were all born Kilfinnan @Kilmodan area.  Mary married John mcPherson in Rothesay, Bute 1812.    ab.

Offline marianjackson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Ab,

I've got a Mary Black born 1795 in Auchaghoile, Kilfinan to Hugh Black and Isabel Smith. I cannot find a Hugh Black born in Kilfinan, but your Mary may be a sister of Hugh?

Marian.