Author Topic: Arabella (Cox) Le Bagge From Carrick-on-Shannon  (Read 18815 times)

Offline NToth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arabella (Cox) Le Bagge From Carrick-on-Shannon
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 March 11 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I heve tried to find the Bagge name in the church records with no luck, so appreciate the help.
There are some connects here but I can't figure them out.  Some of them may be in the generation after what I've been looking at. 
The surname Roderick (Cecilia) married James Bagge in 1824.  I have not found the name Roderick before - Perhaps Cecilia - seems to be older, could be an aunt? 
Susan Bagge may be the sister of Rosa Bagge my relative.  Have you ever come across the name Rosa Bagge, born about 1841?  I understood she was from Cork, not Dublin.
N

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 March 11 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Well I don't know, just trying to help!

No one has even given their religion so there's no point in me walking around the C of I graveyard  in Carrick if they were RC.. or the RC g/yard if they were C of I
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline NToth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 March 11 12:08 GMT (UK) »
You were a help, thank you.

I believe all these people - and the Bagges you sent before were Cof I,  Rev James  Bagge was at Templemichael, Waterford area.  Rosa won't be in a cemetery in Ireland, she emigrated to Canada.  Married Charles Sippe.

Carrick is probably the wrong area in Ireland, but thanks for the information.
N

Offline deanefreeman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 October 11 20:12 GMT (UK) »
I notice that in the marriage certificates of two of his daughters that Simon writes his name as Simon Bagge.  I presume that during his lifetime he opted to change simplify the surname from LeBagge or LeBagge-Bagge to Bagge.

My information on Simon Bagge is as follows:
Justice of the Peace, High Sheriff Co. Waterford

Simon Bagge, chairman of the Ardmore Famine Relief Committee, Ardmore House, enclosing a resolution adopted by the committee, appealing for the commencement of public works to relieve unemployment.  20/06/1846   http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search/index.php?browse=true&category=14&subcategory=82&offset=2910&browseresults=true

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=4up5gqpm1n40anr9mfbng53625&topic=458530.0

Historical sources suggest the Bagge family descended from John Bagge who settled in Waterford sometime in the early seventeenth century. In the 1870s J.H. Bagge of Ardmore House was the owner of over 3000 acres in county Waterford. Simon Bagge was among the principal lessors (landlords) in the parishes of Ardmore and Lisgenan or Grange, barony of Decies-within-Drum in 1851. The family sold the estate in the early 1920s.

[Ardmore House or Monea House].  Simon Bagge was leasing this property from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1851 when it was valued at £33. It is labelled as Ardmore House on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map and as Monea House on the later 25-inch edition. The ITA survey indicates that it was sold by John Leonard Bagge in 1921 and subsequently became an Irish college.

I do have his father as John Le Bagge and his mother as Elizabeth Rutledge.

Simon's daughter, Elizabeth Anna, is by her marriage to Joseph Deane-Freeman of Castlecor, County Cork, Ireland, my great-grandmother.  Elizabeth and Joseph emigrated to Alberta, Canada.  Joseph came in 1885 and homesteaded ranchland south of Calgary, near Millarville.  Elizabeth's sister, Alice Maud, and some of her children from an earlier marriage (Robert Foley) also came to Millarville.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 October 11 22:07 GMT (UK) »

Date:    6 June 1846
Newspaper Subject:    Bagge Arabella (Nee Cox)
Newspaper:    Roscommon Leitrim Gazette
Newspaper Content:    The above married Simon Bagge of Ardmore House, Waterford

In order to source this newspaper article, please supply all of the information below in an email to localstudies'at'leitrimcoco.ie
    Bib #: 26134
LDR:    00000nam 22000255 4500
1000:    $a newsNM
900:    $a Roscommon Leitrim Gazette
902:    $a 6 June 1846
903:    $a The above married Simon Bagge of Ardmore House, Waterford
904:    0 $a Bagge Arabella (Nee Cox)
907:    $a 3 c5

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 October 11 23:36 GMT (UK) »
duplication of some of the info in previous post but one, but gives some extra info in the footnotes:
http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=3449

A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of ... - Page 1661

books.google.ie Sir Bernard Burke - 1852 - Full view

PM

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 May 15 05:06 BST (UK) »
There's some information here about Villierstown in west Waterford where there was a Rev Bagge.

https://niallbrn.wordpress.com/2015/05/07/villierstown-chapel-and-chaplains/

What year was the marriage of the Walter Croker Poole?  I think he could be the grandson of Anne Fudge and Walter Croker Poole. 

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=FKU1AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA102&dq=oldfield+the+reliquary+greatrakes&hl=en&sa=X&ei=iSpQVbjLMoah8QW6iYCQDg&ved=0CBwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=oldfield%20the%20reliquary%20greatrakes&f=false

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 June 15 00:04 BST (UK) »
BAGGE, John Henry, Esq., of Ardmore, Co. Waterford.

Eldest son of the late Simon Bagge, Esq., of Ardmore, J.P., and in 1848 High Sheriff of Co. Waterford
(who d. 1872), by Arabella, dau. of the late Lieut.-Col. Charles Cox, of Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim; b.

Is a Magistrate for co. Waterford ; late Lieut. 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays). — Ardmore House,
near Youghal ; Naval and Military Club, w. Heir Pres., his brother Simon Alfred, b. 1856.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 May 16 01:54 BST (UK) »
This tree is rather confusing (you need to work to which page attaches to which) and there are some errors with surnames, but some Bagges tie in here.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~nickred/trees/greatrakes.PDF

Perhaps Walter Croker Poole and Arabella Bagge were distant cousins?

Also back a little further - could be the same Bagge family.

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=f8kWVOafFtQC&pg=PA87&lpg=PA87&dq=leonard+bagge+kilbree&source=bl&ots=LZ2EnmVytG&sig=xs6m3P8x8FzISy5voECfEHagaO0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwix-NyoqNjMAhULlJQKHUA2At0Q6AEIGzAA#v=onepage&q=leonard%20bagge%20kilbree&f=false