Author Topic: Wilson fish shop Belfast  (Read 16500 times)

Offline Lillymayglo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson fish shop Belfast
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 April 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi – You may be right about Scotland.  Therre is a ten year gap between James and the rest of the children though on the 1911 Census Mary Jane had 11 children, 4 died it is possible some of these may be between James and John.  I have seen that certificate  you mention last year on the Ulster Family Historical Site but don’t think that is Jane as we are almost sure Mary Jane's maiden name was McLeod.  Just found Jane's death certification on Belfast Cemetaries and she is called Mary Jane Wilson died 12 December 1965 aged 80.  I know her birthday was in October and I seem to think 17th but not absolutely sure of the date.   I know the death certification is correct because my Grandmothers address is listed and Jane lived with her  during the last couple of years of her life.  Seems odd that she is Mary Jane and one the twins was Mary (although called May).  Cannot find any of the children’s birth certificates.  I do know the twins marriage dates and will put together better information in another post.  Did get scans of the photos but these were too large to post and were rejected.  Am currently the size of the photos reduced.  By the way the twin Mary( May) married a Samuel Dunseith but more of that later.

Offline Lillymayglo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 April 11 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi - Two photos to start - the problem is by making the resolution small the quality of the photos are getting poor (they are very old and not very good anyway).  The first photograph is James Wilson your James' father.  The second photograph is The Wilson children with their Mother Mary Jane.  The children are John, Annie, Jane, twins Elizabeth and Mary and baby Robert.

Let me know if you can access these as I have about six others to post.

regards

Offline bloodties

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 April 11 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you ever so much the photos are great, lovely to put faces to the names look forward to seeing the rest.
Have you found the family on 1901 census are were they living somewhere else in  as they seemed to have moved about.

regards
Crouch  Craig Hawthorn(e) Atkinson Mulholland Wilson Loughlin

Offline Lillymayglo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 April 11 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi - two more photographs the first is the shop at 74 to 76 Albertbridge Road and the second photograph has the name as James Wilson is this your relative?  My brother said Jimmy Dunseith (son of Mary and Samuel gave him this photo).   

Unfortunately I have searched the 1901 Census and cannot find the Wilsons.  This Census is incomplete and a large part of Lisburn Road is missing but I dont think they were there at that time as the Belfast Street directory listed.  I seem to recall Auntie Jean (Jane) saying that they lived around the Mount Street area which is near to Albertbridge Road and went to school in Templemore Avenue.  On the Lennon Wylie street directories for Belfast 1907 there is a M J Wilson Fishmonger living at the address below also No.72 Albertbridge Road M J Wilson and also the 1901 directory has similar information:

Cut and paste from website removed- please see this page of the website for details-
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/mcomplete1907_2.htm

Wilson, Jas., fish monger, 23 Mount Street No. 2 - This is from the 1901 Belfast Street directory, but I cannot find this on the Census.
~~~~~~~~-----------------------
I will try to gather some more information for you as this is getting message is rambling a bit.  regards and will post a few more photos

Offline bloodties

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 April 11 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks once again for photos,not sure if the gentleman is James Wilson.
I shall ask family members to see if they know. I really appreciate all your help it means alot to have photos of family and shop.

regards   

Offline Lillymayglo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Couple of photos of the twins (Photo 1).  First photo Elizabeth (Lilly) and Mary (May) with their mother Mary Jane.

Elizabeth married James Hill on 20 September 1911 and was aged 23 at St Annes Belfast.  She had three sons James born 9th April 1912 at 97 Donneybrook St, Belfast.  He died 17 Nov 1955 aged 43 (Bachelor) of TB final address 54 Windsor Road.  John was born 6th July 1915 and died 5th Jan 1918 (Broncho Pneumonia) he was born 83 Donneybrook St.  Gordon was born 23 June 1923 and died 1991 aged 67.  Elizabeth died aged 4th Feb 1968 aged 79 if heart disease.

Mary married Samuel Wilson Neil Dunseith on 26 March 1910 at St Annes.  They had about 12 children, only names I know are James (Jimmy - died 15 June 1997), John and Sammy.  Mary died on 20th June 1937 aged 49 and on her certification the cause of death says unclear.  My grandmother say there was a coverup and her husband was very unkind to her.  I think he will be the one you referred to earlier.  I knew their son Jimmy and he was a lovely man in fact my brother has a tape somewhere of Jimmy talking about family history so we will try to find it.  You can find the Dunseith's on the 1911 census at 5 Rainey Street, Windsor Ward.

Mary Jane the mother died on 22 September 1935 of intestinal statis Grave P752 City Cemetery.
James the Father died 16th December 1923 aged 74 City Cemetery - on both these records is says grave owner Thomas Kyle.
Mary Jane Wilson the other sister died 12 December 1965 aged 80 buried in City Cemetery -W1 196-Glenalina Extension
After this I have very little information other than some more photos to say John (photo2 attached) obviously must has squandered the money from the shops.  He was a member of the Ulster Sports Club often went to functions at the City Hall, taking my grandmother and was obviously a man about town, although died penniless we think in a lodging house in Bethnal Green late 50s or early 60s.

Offline bloodties

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you very much for all this info(photos dont seemed to have attached).
hubby has seen photo of soldier James Wilson somewhere before he thinks it may have been when he was a boy he also says the he was either a seargent/seargent major or of a higher rank as in photo he is holding a stick and in dress uniform privates did not  carry
 sticks only rifles,anyways his uncle Tommy will be visiting from London in June shall ask him if this is his father or grandfather if on your photo you can make out army number might be able to trace him.

regards

Offline Lillymayglo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 09:25 BST (UK) »
A keep getting a message that the photos have the same name, I keep changing them and nothing happens, this is my third time - hopefully lucky regards

Hasnt worked - am trying two different photos - No.1 Mary Dunseith and sons
Second my Grandmother her sister Elizabeth

Offline bloodties

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 June 11 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Lllymayglo
Thomas(tommy)Wilson is over for a family wedding who is now in his 86th year and as bright as a button he has a great sense of humour and as the saying goes he would keep a nation going first of all he would like to thank you ever so much for photos.The story as he remembers it the Albertbridge road shop closed in the 1940s during the war as fish became very expensive and people were not buying it  the income from it was not enough to keep trawlers and the overheads of the shop however the Lisburn Road shop remained open Jane who he knew as aunt Ginny was in charge of Lisburn road shop while the men were at Albertbridge road.He remembers his aunt Ginny very well and says she often came to visit them at the Glougher in Lisburn bringing the Dunseith boys with her he says she had a great love of children and always had neices and nephews with her and often taken them on holidays as you said to Scotland. There is a connection with Mary Jane and Scotland but he is not sure if she was born there and brought up here are vice versa or if her parents were Scottish.He knew Jimmy Dunseith and Gordon Hill very well and speaks of them with great fondness.James and his family moved to London during second world war as houses/flats were a plenty because many people had moved away from London in fear of being bombed.He says the phto of the man in uniform is James Wilson senior (his grandfather) and that he was a staff sgt altough he died before he was born I suspect this photo is of a earlier war than ww1 incidently Tommy favours his grandfather alot.

regards