Author Topic: 58th Regiment of Foot  (Read 26499 times)

Offline cyntax

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 58th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #27 on: Monday 12 September 11 05:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that Bernice, but I have to apologise -as the Army # I sent you for Owen Commons was wrong.  You were right with # 1832.  I have just collected new reading glasses and can see properly once again.

Sorry!!
Bev

Offline cyntax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 September 11 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernice,
I'm adding this extra infor on Owen that is gleaned from "Discharged in New Zealand".
He left Britain from Debtford, on 'HMS Anson' (as a guard on that convict ship)
07 Sept. 1843.  Arrived Hobart Town 04 Feb. 1844.

20 Sept. 1845 left Sydney on the 'British Sovereign', and arrived at the Bay of Islands, NZ, 09 Oct. 1845 to participate in the War against northern Maori.

Many of the regiment left NZ for Syney Aus in December 1846.  Except for a detachment which stayed at Wellington.  They returned from Australia to Auckland nine months later, and remained at various 'militia districts' for the next 11 years, until the Regiment disbanded in November 1858, when most stayed in NZ and Australia.

Cheers,
Bev 

Offline bernice52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 12 September 11 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev
Your extra effort with more information far outweighs a slight error as I even get those # mixed up in the phone book (my glasses arent that good either)
again many thanx
Cheers Bernice

Offline mcilroynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm a Kiwi living in NZ.

I want to know more about my great great great grandfather Bartholomew McIlroy.

There is a reference to him here on this 58th Regiment webpage  http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~garter1/58thfoot.htm (on this page here http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~garter1/m58th.htm).

There is also a reference to him on this National Archives page here:- http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=7&CATID=-5900728&j=1

The National Archives record is a bit difficult to interpret.  If I am reading it correctly it would suggest that he was aged 27 in 1844 (making his DOB 1817 although I have other possible DOBs including 1823) and discharged in November 1844 due to some kind of ailment.  My knowledge of the 58th is limited but looking at the dates the ships arrived in NSW this could suggest that he was discharged not long after he arrived and possibly prior to the 58th heading to NZ (??).

Aside from this my information is limited.  He was possibly born in or near Markethill or Mullaghbrack, Armagh.  He died in 1869 possibly in Thames.  He married an Ellen Connor (died 1866 Otahuhu).  They had 10(!) children.

I'm a bit new to all this but will hopefully one day have worked out where/when he was born; where/when he enlisted; which ship he sailed on; where he departed from; how he made it to NZ (with the 58th on the North Star/Velocity or independently); where/when he met Ellen Connor; where they are buried etc etc

I will try to get my hands on a copy of Hugh & Lyn Hughes' book "Discharged in New Zealand". 

Until then, if anyone could give me any pointers or helpful hints it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rich

Offline cyntax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 01 December 11 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rich,
Your ancestor is listed in Discharged in NZ, by the Hughes.
It states he was a blacksmith, born at MULLABRACH, (I would think that to be
in Ireland).  He joined the 58th Reg. 26. o5. 1838.  He left London on the
'William Jardine', a convict ship, where he would have been a guard, 01.07.1844.  He was then on the 'HMS North Star Velocity' to Auckland, NZ. 1845.

The death of Bartholomew McIlroy is registered at BDM Internal Affairs NZ, as 1869.  I didn't find a marriage record.  There are 2 children born between 1845 and 1865 which may have been his, but parents not listed.  They are
Rose Ann, born at Auckland 1855:  and David Thomas Christie, born 1865.

Hoping this is some help in your search.  Every best wish, Bev

Offline mcilroynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 01 December 11 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

It is a lot more than just "some help".  You've answered a number of unresolved queries that I had and given me new leads/historical references to research/follow up.  For instance, the July 1844 journey of the William Jardine seems to have gone via Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania).

My inherited records show a daughter Roseanne McIlroy DOB 30.01.1855 - so quite possibly the Rose Ann you refer to - but there is no reference to a David Thomas Christie.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of the Hughes' book.

Thank you for helping me.
Rich

Offline cyntax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 01 December 11 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the 'William Jardine' went to Hobart before arrival at Sydney. 

Also - the death register for Ellen McIlroy is dated 1870, (no date or month)
in the NZ -BDM.

Offline mcilroynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 05 December 11 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

I came across the 1870 Ellen McIlroy BDM reference you refer to a few days ago.  In your experience is it best to get the death certificate or the death print out?

I now have a copy of the Hughes' book which is really quite impressive.  How good would it be to spend some time with the Hughes and "pick their brains." 

It's a pity there isn't more information online about the 58th. I'll definitely try and get a copy of Michael Barthorp's To Face The Daring Maori.

Thanks again.
Rich

Offline cyntax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 05 December 11 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rich,
Most definitely buy a death 'print out'. 
That way you a sure of receiving exactly what was written at the time.  As we all know, certificates often have many errors, due to human 'typo's' or wrong translations. 
Best wishes in your research,
Bev