Author Topic: Alexander SCOTT  (Read 12211 times)

Offline Bermudagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Wimbledon 2007
    • View Profile
Alexander SCOTT
« on: Friday 28 May 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hello! I am trying to track down my great great grandfather Alexander Scott, but with no success.
 I have him on the 1851 census as a groom at Brechin Castle. His soon to be wife is also there as a kitchen maid (Elizabeth Duke born 1/4/1825 Edzell). Well actually they had to marry... but that's another story. According to the census Alexander was born in Linton, Roxburgh about 1825. However on the 1861 census (by which time his wife had died) he is living in Edinburgh with the 4 children and a servant. He is described as a coachman domestic servant(?) and born in Kelso, Roxburghshire.
I do have an Alexander Scott born in Linton on the 1841 census, but he is a joiners apprentice, and it looks like he is no longer living at home, which means I don't have his parents. I have him in the 1871 census with a new wife Helen Aitken and his place of birth is again given as Linton, but I can't find him after that. But more importantly, I am trying to trace his parents, and find a birth record for him. Can anyone help?
it would be much appreciated!
Atkin (Cambridgeshire) Duke (Angus) Gray (Sprouston) Sturrock (Fife) Starforth (Co. Durham) Bewell (Canada)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Gray
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 May 10 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, have you been on scotlandspeople? If you find a marriage certificate for Alexander & Helen, details of their parents will be on it.
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Bermudagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Wimbledon 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 May 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reminding me! As the previous marriage was before 1855, there wasn't much detail, but of course there should be more this time! I'll go and have a look!

Well, I've hunted on ScotlandsPeople. I've found his parents and 4 children, but not Alexander. They were all born in Stichill & Hume. I did a search for any Scott with James Scott and Mary Fleming as parents from 1795 to 1835 and got nothing apart from the 4 other children. I did the same for Linton and got nothing...I then did it for all records and still only got the 4 children
Now I'm really stuck...

Pat
Atkin (Cambridgeshire) Duke (Angus) Gray (Sprouston) Sturrock (Fife) Starforth (Co. Durham) Bewell (Canada)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 May 10 08:37 BST (UK) »
Can you tell me why your subject title is Alexander Gray & not Scott?  If Alexander was born before his mother married James Scott he could have been baptised under her surname, or another man's, & been brought up by James Scott as his son. Remember that these parish registers are incomplete. Were his parents still alive  when he married Helen? If so, you'd find them in the censuses.There may be other siblings you haven't come across yet so it's always best to follow the family through the censuses.The informant on the death certificates could give you a lead to other family members.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Bermudagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Wimbledon 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 May 10 13:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry! Got myself totally confused. It is Alexander Scott and his first wife was Elizabeth Duke. I was getting confused with Gray because one of his daughters married my great great grandfather. Sorry about that. It's just that I have "Gray" in my head and made a mistake with Alexander's last name. It is definitely Scott! 
What is confusing is that the date for the 2nd marriage is given as 26/2/1864 in Perth according to Scotlandspeople. But when their daughter Margaret Hay Scott was born, the date is given as 7/11/186 (something - can't make out the last number). Now you might say that its a different Alexander Scott, but according to the 1871 census, it has Alexander Scott, his 2nd wife Mary, Mary Helen Scott (my great great grandmother, and daughter from his 1st marriage), Agnes, also a daughter from his 1st marriage (infact his first wife died while having Agnes) and Margaret H, the daughter from his 2nd marriage. All the ages seem to be about right, so it does seem to be the same Alexander.
But I'm still stuck, trying to find a record of his birth...
I've just bought myself a map of Kelso and the surrounding area. Most of my "Grays" come from Sprouston, there are others in the family from Eckford and Linton isn't that far away. I still have a feeling he came from Linton, but still not having any success finding him, especially if the other children I found were indeed his brothers and sister, they are all born in Stichill & Hume, which again is in the same area as all the other places mentioned! It can get quite frustrating not being able to find that "link"!

Pat

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander SCOTT
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 May 10 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat

Have you looked at the 1864 marriage that you have found on SP to see what it says about Alexander and Helen's parents to let you confirm the details?

Could this be young Agnes, following the death of her mother Elizabeth in the 1861 census:

John Scott 36 , ploughman, b. Stelihell On House, Berwickshire
Elisabeth Scott 29 b. Sprouston, Roxburghshire
Elisabeth S Scott 5 b. Eckford, Roxburghshire
James Scott 2 b. Ednam, Roxburghshire
Agnes Scott 3 Months, niece b. Edinburgh

Address: Cherrytrees Cottages, Yetholm, Roxb.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 May 10 15:13 BST (UK) »
Two potential more children showing for Alexander Scott and Helen Aitken on IGI:

1. CHRISTINA FLEMING SCOTT Birth: 22 MAR 1869 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh
2. DAVID FLEMING SCOTT Birth: 10 MAY 1873 Kelso, Roxburgh

The additional births can also let you reconfirm parents' marriage details.

Not sure if Christina may have died young as yet doesn't show in the 1871 census entry you have for Alexander and Helen and children.

I think this might be young David staying with half sister Elizabeth (daughter of Elizabeth Duke) in the 1881 census:

Elizabeth Scott 26, Shopkeeper Temperance Repentment Rooms (sound like fun!) b. Musselburgh, Edinburghshire
David F Scott 9, brother b. Kelso

Address: 28 Valleyfield St, Edinburgh

Monica

Offline Bermudagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Wimbledon 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 May 10 15:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica! I had come across David Fleming Scott, but didn't have Christina. Now it's getting complicated!. According to Davids birth record his parents were married in Perth and it looks like 25/2/1862. Margaret 's birth record has the marriage date as 7/11/186 something. The actual marriage record says 26/2/1864.I've just got Christina's and it says 25/2/1865 in Perth! The parents are correct. I think I'm going to scream! All I can say is someone didn't have a very good memory!
That's curious. Will check the 1881 census, but I have Elizabeth Scott married to Thomas Davidson on the 1901 census, and my grandfather was staying with them in Edinburgh as both his parents had died  and he was about 9. Doesn't look like Thomas and Elizabeth had any children.
Tee hee, as you say "Temperance Repentment Rooms" sound  like such a bundle of laughs!!!

Pat

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 May 10 18:13 BST (UK) »
I think you are likely to have the right parents for Alexander Scott in James Scott and Mary Fleming, as you have been able to verify through his 1864 marriage to Helen.

Also, likely the John Scott, uncle who young Agnes was living with in 1861, is probably the one from this entry to the parents as you have:

JOHN SCOTT Birth: 12 NOV 1822 Stitchel, Roxburgh

I would guess the birth place trancription on John Scott's, of Stelihell On House, is likely to be closer to Stichill & Hume on the original image  ::)

Monica