Author Topic: Albert STOKES - Sutton Coldfield  (Read 8750 times)

Offline sphilip

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Albert STOKES - Sutton Coldfield
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 May 10 03:56 BST (UK) »
More great work Suz.

My own amateur searches suggest Albert E's father was Thomas Edward Stokes (b.1831)  and mother Selina Guest (b.1870) , and that Albert E was born sometime 1894/5, but I don't know the place.

There doesn't seem to be anyone on the 1911 census for the Aston area that would fit his age. Of course, it is possible that he was born in London or somewhere else if, as I understand, the family were moneyed and had more than one residence.

If these 'facts' are correct they make interesting reading: Thomas was already an elderly man by the time he married young Selina...if the family were well to-do, I wonder how Albert E's marriage to a Maltster's daughter went down?! Of course, I could be barking up the wrong tree, and am getting slightly off my original purpose, but fascinating stuff!

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 May 10 09:46 BST (UK) »
Albert E Stokes is living in Aston in 1901, father Thomas is an insurance agent aged 30 (b. 1871) and the whole family is shown as born in Birmingham.

The family is still in Aston by 1911 at 17 Charles Street Aston Manor.  Thomas is now a tram conductor.  Albert is shown as born Ladywood Birmingham and is a warehouseman.  Father-in-law Mr Guest is also living with the family.

Someone has this Albert in their tree as marrying Mabel Stuffins.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sphilip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 May 10 10:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pinetree.

Albert E should have been around 15/16yrs old in 1911; does the 1911 census record you have give the age of the 'warehouseman'?

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 31 May 10 09:13 BST (UK) »
Albert E Stokes is 14 on 1911 census.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrs miggins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 12 November 11 21:31 GMT (UK) »
sphilip

I don't know if this thread is still being watched, but I have some further info on the Stokes family that may be of interest, including the siblings of ATA Stokes that havent been metioned.  :D

Offline sphilip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 November 11 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I'm still following this thread and would be interested in any details you may have.

Thanks!

Offline sawfordr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 March 16 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I have just come across this message. I am the daughter of Duncan John  Stokes,known as Jack, . My dad's mum was Madeley Stuffing.  Marbella was separated from her husband Albert . My dad had four brothers. Bert George Ronnie and Ken and a sister Betty. I never met Bert or George as they were the eldest boys who left home and didn't keep in touch with the other siblings. Well that is how my dad told me. I do know that Bert who married Millie had three daughters. Sadly I have never met my cousins even though millie sent clothes for me when I was very young. Do you think this is the same family you are seeking. What other clues do you have.