Author Topic: Canal Boat Families  (Read 26854 times)

Offline cabell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canal Boat Families
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 02 August 15 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Jane
I have just come across this site. Isabella Cresswell was my grandma and she was the sister of Jane
Cresswell who married Benjamin Slater Nixon. Isabella Cresswell married John Palin. John Palins brother Thomas Palin married Eliza Slater Nixon May 30th1898 at Alrewas Staffordshire. Elizabeth
Palin married Edward Slater Nixon on the same date. Do you have any information about the Palins?
Chris

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 17 August 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Jane
I have just come across this site. Isabella Cresswell was my grandma and she was the sister of Jane
Cresswell who married Benjamin Slater Nixon. Isabella Cresswell married John Palin. John Palins brother Thomas Palin married Eliza Slater Nixon May 30th1898 at Alrewas Staffordshire. Elizabeth
Palin married Edward Slater Nixon on the same date. Do you have any information about the Palins?
Chris
  sorry cant remember who sent me this photo so can not attatch credits to it

Offline cabell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 August 15 16:27 BST (UK) »
My father is Bill on this photo. I think I have found Thomas Palin b.1851 on a Palins family tree posted on Rootschat. He is at Canal Cottage, Leton Bridge, Little Leigh, Northwich, Cheshire, a parish of Great Budworth. He is on the 1861 census with parents Thomas and Margrat Palin. On the family tree she is Margaret Wood. They have ten children Joseph, James, Thomas, William, Mary, John, Elizabeth, Samuel, Henry and Margaret.
Isabella Cresswells parents were James Cresswell b.17th Jan 1854 Littles Lane, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire and Ann Matilda Guest. They were married 21st May 1877 at St. Paul's, Tipton, Staffordshire. James Cresswells parents were John Cresswell and Jane Horton married 3rd Oct 1847 at Saint Matthews, Walsall, Staffordshire.
Thanks for sending the photo.
chris

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 13 September 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
I have a boat inspection record for a  William Palin = 17th Sept 1896 on board a boat named Pirate reg @Birmingham no 900 owners listed as Fellows Morton & Clayton reg for 4 adults & occupied by 4 men
wm Palin is reg as the master .

also have some for Paling wonder if they could be your folks

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 13 September 15 22:20 BST (UK) »
PIRATE was one of the Morton & Clayton Steamers. Millners records  have it recorded as several of my Manders boatmen being steerers at one time paired with butty china from 20.5.1890 till 14.3.1896 it was used as a fly boat then William Palin had her around 17.9.1896 til l9.1900
she then went into dock for a new boiler to be fitted documents on file say 5.4.1891 census on grand junction canal  14.9. 1894 she was gauged @ the port of London. She was broken up prior to 18.12.1931

Offline cabell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 17:06 BST (UK) »
My Granddad John Palin  worked for Fellows and Morton. My Dad was born on a boat called 'The Maple'. It is quite likely that Paling or Pailing are my folks. Gran & Granddad could not read or write and ages and names would alter. What are Milners records?
 I have found a census for 1881 at Canal Sutton, Macclesfield, Cheshire. It has William Pailing b.1853 Little Leigh, Cheshire. His wife Mary has the wrong age b.1843 instead of b.1850 at Tunstall, Staffordshire. His children are Mary W b.1872 Birmingham, Margaret b.1877 Derby, Elizabeth b.1880 Derby and Stephen b.1881 Runcorn, Cheshire. I also found a marriage 31st Mar 1873 at Acton Trussell, Stafford for William Palin father Thomas Palin Labourer and Mary Willcocks a widow father James Turner Boatman. On the 1911 census they have a niece Mary Turner b.1887 Walsall, Stafford so this links up.
My Grandparents John & Isabella Palin had a cottage by the canal at Weston, Stafford. It used to be called Weston-on-Trent. Nearby there was a family of Hollinsheads and I think they were cousins to my Dad. Are these your folks?
Jane Nixon's sister Harriet Cresswell m. John Green father Henry Green 9th Mar 1901 St Michaels, Brierley Hill, Dudley. I noticed there was Green in your family line.
The other Cresswells are Phoebe Cresswell m. Edwin Beckett, Selina Oram Cresswell m. John Hodson White, second husband Selina Oram White m. Harry Redwood, Florence Cresswell m. Benjamin Goode, Elizabeth Cresswell m. Thomas Jones known as Tom Coffee, James Cresswell m. Charlotte Evans.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Cabell
  I need to make time & study all this as we seem to have connections in many boating names but then that is not uncommon as the boatmen where a community unto themselves  prio to the 11 WW hardly ever mixing with bank people unless it was needed to even when they retired they settled in groups.
   Greens are also connected. Many of the Green boatmen are buried in the Boatmans cemetery @ Braunston  I was raised with a lot of the old boatmans ways & traditions
 My parents & grandparent
's not being able to read or write my Grandad would collect newspapers ect & sit me down to read them to him( I can still see the pride in his eyes some 50 odd years later) he would tell folks our girl is learned she knows her letters .
  The one that I remember best is I crumpled 2 pages of newspaper that I read to him after I said Grandad that smells of Viniger his reply was it will do girl it had me supper in it last night.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 21:53 BST (UK) »
Google     Thomas W Millner Canal Manager 1895-1930  & then G oogle Buckby  steamers
  this should help explain Cabell.
  have just dug out of a box of paperwork still waiting to be filed  some baptism records for John also called Joshua  & Minnie's  children surname Palin,palin & Paling given but I am sure they are the same siblings as they all give the same address a James Mander he married my GG Grandads sister Judith Harrison & her address is on the records as they often needed to give a land address & they lived in the joining road to the church.

Offline cabell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 18 September 15 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
Jane Nixon/Creswell seems to be on a different part of the canals as she lived at Long Buckby, Northampton. Most of the family seem to be in the Cheshire, Staffordshire areas. I have not come across Braunston but would still be interested in the Palin & Paling information. My Auntie Elsie said
that we had relatives up and down the canals and it seems to be true.
Cabell