Author Topic: Canal Boat Families  (Read 26763 times)

Offline AliIsoMar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canal Boat Families
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 15:12 BST (UK) »
Cabell,

Harriett Cresswell's Husband John Green was the brother of my 2x Great grandmother Maria Green who married  Henry James.

Ali
Canal Families: James, Green, Wenlock. Fradley, Wood, Higgins, Eaden, Harrison, Jenkinson Hollinshead, Coulton, Caswell, Boswell and Bird.

Offline CROXSTER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 08 June 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit late in the conversation but my mum was a Nixon now a croxford her mum was a Nixon(Gladys Irene Nixon)her dad was sam franks as her mum remarried from the Nixon family and  my granddad was a Beresford  (George beresford) I am trying to make a family tree can any body help

Offline cabell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 08 June 18 21:46 BST (UK) »
It is a long while since I was on this site so I do not know what you are answering but I can give you the Nixon connections in my family.
My Grandparents were John Palin b.1879 Tunstall, Staffordhire & Isabella Cresswell. My Gran's sister was Jane Cresswell and she married Benjamin Slater Nixon on 7th Jun 1897, Parish Church, Alrewas, Staffordshire. They had 11 sons and 1 daughter Ann Matilda Jane. Sons names Eli, Jim, Bill, Frank, Elijah, Charles, Edwin & Edmund. 3 sons died. They lived in the Northampton area but I did not track them any further.
Elizabeth Palin married Edward Slater Nixon b. 18 Aug 1878 & Thomas Palin married Eliza Slater Nixon on 30th May 1898, Parish Church, Alrewas, Staffordshire. It was a double marriage. Thomas & Elizabeth Palin were my Grandad's  brother & sister. Edward Slater Nixon & Elizabeth Palin's children were Emily Slater Nixon, Ethel Slater Nixon & Cyril Nixon. There may be more children.
Ellen Slater Nixon married David Wood 19th Oct 1891 St Mary's, Tunstall, Staffordhire. David Wood related to my Gt. Grandma Hannah Wood b. abt. 1851 West Bromwich, Staffs.
The Nixon tree is William Nixon & Sophia Slater married 16th Mar 1852 , Parish Church, Tettenhall, Staffordshire.
Edwin Nixon Slater & Emma Wilkes married 17th May 1873, St. Mary's, Stafford. Their children became Slater Nixon's.
Ellen Slater Nixon b. abt. 1874 Penkridge, Staffordshire, Benjamin Slater Nixon b. abt. 1876 Manchester, Edward Slater Nixon b. 18th Aug 1878, Preston Brook Cheshire, Eliza Slater Nixon b. abt. 1880 Preston Brook, Cheshire, Emily Slater Nixon b. abt. 1885 Wolverhampton and Mary Jane Slater Nixon b. abt. 1888 Shardlow, Derbyshire.
The canal route went from Ellesmere Port, threw Cheshire & Staffordshire and on to Derby & Nottingham.
It may not link up with your tree but they were a closed community marrying other canal boat families.
Good Luck finding your Nixon family tree.

Offline Dunc Ruthwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 19 November 18 19:11 GMT (UK) »
It is a long while since I was on this site so I do not know what you are answering but I can give you the Nixon connections in my family.
My Grandparents were John Palin b.1879 Tunstall, Staffordhire & Isabella Cresswell. My Gran's sister was Jane Cresswell and she married Benjamin Slater Nixon on 7th Jun 1897, Parish Church, Alrewas, Staffordshire. They had 11 sons and 1 daughter Ann Matilda Jane. Sons names Eli, Jim, Bill, Frank, Elijah, Charles, Edwin & Edmund. 3 sons died. They lived in the Northampton area but I did not track them any further.
Elizabeth Palin married Edward Slater Nixon b. 18 Aug 1878 & Thomas Palin married Eliza Slater Nixon on 30th May 1898, Parish Church, Alrewas, Staffordshire. It was a double marriage. Thomas & Elizabeth Palin were my Grandad's  brother & sister. Edward Slater Nixon & Elizabeth Palin's children were Emily Slater Nixon, Ethel Slater Nixon & Cyril Nixon. There may be more children.
Ellen Slater Nixon married David Wood 19th Oct 1891 St Mary's, Tunstall, Staffordhire. David Wood related to my Gt. Grandma Hannah Wood b. abt. 1851 West Bromwich, Staffs.
The Nixon tree is William Nixon & Sophia Slater married 16th Mar 1852 , Parish Church, Tettenhall, Staffordshire.
Edwin Nixon Slater & Emma Wilkes married 17th May 1873, St. Mary's, Stafford. Their children became Slater Nixon's.
Ellen Slater Nixon b. abt. 1874 Penkridge, Staffordshire, Benjamin Slater Nixon b. abt. 1876 Manchester, Edward Slater Nixon b. 18th Aug 1878, Preston Brook Cheshire, Eliza Slater Nixon b. abt. 1880 Preston Brook, Cheshire, Emily Slater Nixon b. abt. 1885 Wolverhampton and Mary Jane Slater Nixon b. abt. 1888 Shardlow, Derbyshire.
The canal route went from Ellesmere Port, threw Cheshire & Staffordshire and on to Derby & Nottingham.
It may not link up with your tree but they were a closed community marrying other canal boat families.
Good Luck finding your Nixon family tree.
Charlie Slater-Nixon was my grandad.

Offline Wilkinson Senior

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 28 December 18 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I started to research my family some years ago... but had a hiatus that stopped everything, I'm now looking to start again, my Grandfather was a Diggory  :)

Offline gazdjsos

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 20 January 19 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,

I am new to this site and firstly would like to thank cabell for the information. It was a very interesting read. I am a Great-Grandson of Ethel Slater-Nixon and the information there has helped a lot with my family tree. I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of Ethel Slater-Nixon or her parents Edward Slater Nixon and Elizabeth Palin at all.

Regards

Gaz

Offline BentonBoatmen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I am hoping somebody on here may be able to help me. I am trying to trace my boating/bargee family who were the Benton's. I am only able to go back as far as Samuel Benton (b 1786) - his son Frederick (b. 1815) was also boatman and "boatowner" and in the 1871 census is moored in the parish of Stockton on the Warwick and Napton Canal in a boat that appears to read as Emscote (difficult to read!). Samuel was baptised at All Saints in Leamington Priors, not far from the Saltisford Arm of the Grand Union canal where they appear to be based. I have also found the family at Frazeley Street on the Grand Union in Birmingham. Any help would be really appreciated, thank you.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hello
  iI have a little info on the 2 x Benton boating people but you would need to figure out if they are your people of the other Benton's
first of all was your Samuel married to Emma ? & did one of your Benton women drown in Griffin's pound ? are you connected to te Cotton & Holdback boating people ?

Offline BentonBoatmen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 09:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your speedy reply! My Samuel was married to Rebecca (nee Philips). He had lots of children but only 3 survived to adulthood. They were Samuel b 1811 (who married Mary Ann) , George b 1827 and Frederick (my direct ancestor) b 1815.  Frederick who was on board the Emscote? Stockton in 1871. At this point in time, I have not discovered any information of any drownings, as I have only recently found out about my ancestry we had no idea they were boating people! I am desperately trying to put meat on the bones and have found no connections yet to the other families you mentioned.
Frederick did have lots of children, they are George, Thomas, Frederick, Sarah, Edwin, James, Charles, Alfred, Noah, Reuben, Albert, Alice and my direct ancestor, Eli.  Through Eli there is a direct  connection to a William Savage, who's daughter Mary Ann married Eli, daughter. He was also at Saltisford in the 1861 census as a collar maker.   They appear to be very much based around Saltisford Canal and Birmingham.
I hope you can make a connection for me! Thank you!