Author Topic: Peter Scott, R.I.P.  (Read 2920 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Scott, R.I.P.
« on: Saturday 29 May 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
There have been a lot of SCOTT queries on this thread. It's sad to relate that a well-known Hawick textile firm, PETER SCOTT (PESCO), has just gone to the wall -

http://www.scotsman.com/scotland/Slump-claims-firm-that-was.6328469.jp

The founder of the firm, the eponymous Peter Scott, was born in Hawick in 1852 to George Scott, grocer, and his wife Marion Adamson. Peter married Mary Brydon in 1876 at Wilton Dean, which is where my own Irish immigrant Pettigrew ancestors lived. They were humble woollen stocking-makers, but a descendant, John Pettigrew (b.1882) - who would have been a 2nd cousin of my maternal grandmother - became managing director of Peter Scott.

Harry

Offline walterc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Scott, R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 May 10 09:58 BST (UK) »
Adding a little bit more to HDW's post:
Mary Brydon was daughter of James Brydon, b 1815 in Castleton, and Esther Laidlaw b ca 1819 in Hawick. 

Mary's sister, Betsy Scott (b 1843, Hawick, ms Brydon) had four children, one of whom, Esther Scott b 1874, Hawick, married John Pettigrew mentioned in Harry's post in 1907.

Esther Scott's uncle, Walter Scott, b May 1836, was co-founder, along with William Lyle, of the Hawick hosiery firm Lyle and Scott.

Attached is a photograph of a Peter Scott "Mill Picnic" from happier times in the early 1950s - perhaps someone can identify the location.
Hounam ~ Dumfriesshire; Pettigrew, Scott ~ Hawick; Tweedie ~ Hawick and Moffat;

Offline ritchiewilk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-Grandfather WBW
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Scott, R.I.P.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 21:20 BST (UK) »
Harry,
I was researching my ancestors, from Hawick, who fought in WW1 & 2 when I came across the Scottish War Memorials Project web site.  This site has photographs of War Memorials and Rolls of Honour throughout Scotland.

On it I found photographs of the Roll of Honour for both wars located in Peter Scotts.

I hope someone from Hawick will purchase them for the town, or Peter Scotts donates them to the town.  I would hate to think that they will be lost.

Ritchie
Wilkinson, Roxburghshire/Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Cairncross, Roxburghshire/Peeblesshire
Edmondson, Roxburghshire/Cumberland
Bowie, Roxburghshire
Young, Berwickshire/Roxburghshire/Selkirkshire
Hogg, Roxburghshire
Briggs, Nottinghamshire
Caldwell, Stirlingshie