Author Topic: 2 morrell street hull or sculcoates  (Read 17754 times)

Offline plum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
2 morrell street hull or sculcoates
« on: Sunday 30 May 10 18:59 BST (UK) »
hello there i am looking for there possibly of no 2 morrell street, hull, being a pub,  in 1894 if it was a pub what was it called and was  George Marsden the landlord as he died there and he was a licenced vitcualer, he would be about 51yrs old. can you help thanks plum.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2 morrell street hull or sculcoates
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 May 10 20:31 BST (UK) »
Theres no Morrell Street showing in either Hull or Sculcoates street index for 1891 census.I am looking at the discs not a web site.Could it be Marvel Street Sculcoates as thats the nearest I can see
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 May 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
There's a Morrill Street off Holderness Road, it probably comes under Southcoates.

Bee
 :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline plum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 19:29 BST (UK) »
hello there  Bee my anscester george marsden was born 1842 in barkisland nr halifax  near to the M62 motorway scammonden dam just before the cutting to lancashire, when he left school he moved about a bit in 1861 he had left the farm to be a drapers apprentice in manchester,  1871 now in bradford yorkshire as a drapers assistant, 1878 he marries harriet beecher holmes from hull.1881 he is now a licensed vit in harrogate at the ship inn, 25 chapel street, school court. 1892 harriet his wife dies knasbourgh next to harrogate. 1894 george is shown as died at  2 morrell st hull and still a licensed vit. the last part was found on either freebmd,anscestry.co.uk or  lds family.  he is running me ragged. the address was on one of these sites and definatley it was morrell st. thanks for what you have sent i will have another look but it wont be until next wednesday. plum

Offline Ibbo2000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 01:22 BST (UK) »
Are you local to Hull, if so the Hull History centre have a good collection of trade directories that would cover that period, maybe worth a look to see if a Morrell St is listed in them?

I live in Hull and can't recall a Morrell St (I read it as Morrill St first time I looked at this thread - doh!) though my knowledge of Old Hull is somewhat lacking. If your still stuck in a week or two's time I could have a look on my next visit to the history centre (sorry I can't get there before then, other forum members maybe visiting & able to take a look?).

Not sure if it's of any use but there are some maps of old Hull viewable online on the East Riding councils website. IIRC one is dated from 1910, you may get lucky & find Morrell St with a public house indicated on it.

Kev.
Ibbertson
Knight
Burton Turner
Greensides
Ketley

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Plum,

I've had a look at a few historical Directories for the 1890's, but there doesn't appear to be a Morrell Street...

Do you have George's Will?  There was one proved in London for a George Marsden of Hull, in 1894.

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline plum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 19:19 BST (UK) »
hello yorklass  i havnt got his will but i did know that it was proved in london  and that he left £1,713/ 12/1.  that is as much as i know , i  don't know if its possible to get a full copy.   i am not near to hull as i am near to his birth place barkisland, halifax.   i dont do a lot of motorway driving know as with the amount of large lorries about and idiotic drivers i don't feel safe.thanks for your input, i might try to find a fhs for hull. but will have to wait a day or two as i am having my heating updated, its a bit of a beggar that i am having to pay as i worked all my working life as a plumber /heating engineer but the bones say dont do it.   cheers.

Offline plum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 19:35 BST (UK) »
hello ibbo2000   i dont live near hull and dont do a lot of motorway driving due to the large lorries and others who are idiotic the way they drive with scant regard to others so long as they get to where they are going.
 i lve near to georges birth place of barkisland, halifax. i had thought of looking for a fhs in hull for help but it will have to wait as i am having the heating upgraded, so then there will be decorating,  as i am now not quite up to the task i am having to pay, served my time and was a plumber/heating engineer up to retirement. thanks for your time and imput may see you laterwhen i can get back to the family history, yours plum.

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hello again Plum,

It shouldn't be too difficult to get a copy of George's Will.  As far as I understand, it should only cost you £5 - and who knows, it may unlock some of the answers to your questions!

This link is about how to obtain copies of Wills - http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

If you know the details of the grant, you can write to the Principal Registry of the Family Division in London.

I'll send you a personal message with a few more details.

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire