Author Topic: 2 morrell street hull or sculcoates  (Read 17762 times)

Offline plum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 2 morrell street hull or sculcoates
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 June 10 19:18 BST (UK) »
hi there yorkslass thanks for this information, i tried to send a reply to the first mail but must have made a mess of it  as it came back you have sent a message, you must have double clicked, and then i couldnt find how to send a message but there where two messages and as luck would have it they are both from you.
they have finished the upgrade today so i said i would do the plastering where pipes are in the wall and do the boxing of those i didnt want to see, so i have been plastering this afternoon and got that done, next is the boxing then the decorating. when i am on top of it i will sort out what you have sent.  you mention a grant whats that or did you mean the will? plum aka keith marsden.

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 June 10 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

When talking about Wills, a "grant" is just the Courts o.k to go ahead with the Will and divvy up the money.

Like I said in the message, all you need to do is write to the address I gave you with the details I sent - the reference numbers etc. and they should be able to find it easily, and send you a copy.

Glad to hear your central heating upgrade is going okay!

Best wishes,
Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline janeyanne

• RootsChat Member
  • dont put off til tomorrow what you can do today
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 July 10 20:13 BST (UK) »
hello plum i think you should be looking for Morrill st  Holderness rd its mainly made up of about 2 dozen houses at the newbridge rd end a large part of it is the medical centre in the middle of the st . At the holderness rd end is a terrace then a few more houses . You can find it on google maps .if not get in touch with me i can go out with my camera .Maybe get you a photo of the house itself .
brigham mcclarren wilson turnbull holborn burns keenan sheridan                                                           areas  Hull , Sproatley ,Withernsea,Gateshead,Middlesex,Southcave

Offline janeyanne

• RootsChat Member
  • dont put off til tomorrow what you can do today
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 July 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
hi again Plum i just had a look in my cubby hole.  I have   a godfrey  map of Hull 1908 showing morrill st . When i can get my scanner going probly tomorow i will scan it for you .
brigham mcclarren wilson turnbull holborn burns keenan sheridan                                                           areas  Hull , Sproatley ,Withernsea,Gateshead,Middlesex,Southcave

Offline plum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 July 10 19:20 BST (UK) »
hi Janeyanne  yesterday i was looking at the marsden name site thats run by a chap called John Marsden from Sale nr Manchester and in the archive sectionthere are various things you can look at , and yet again i found the address as Morrell St and all the replies i have had say Morrill St, if you are local to Hull i tend to belive you that it shoulds be Morrill St.   i am not very good on this pc lark so the easier it is for me the better.  the main thing i wanted to know about the address where my ancestor lived is ,  was it a public house as he was a publican in Harrogate in the early 1880's. although he married a hull girl Harriet Beecher Holmes and she died before him i dont know why he ended up in Hull, his three girls were in Knaresbrough and he was born in Barkisland near Scammonden Dam M62.Keith and thankyou for your trouble.

Offline SteveJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 July 10 22:24 BST (UK) »
Try East Riding Archives at http://treasurehouse.eastriding.gov.uk/ArchiveMap.aspx?sheet=226

Down the left-hand side choose 226.15

1890 Map Morrill street does not exist
1910 There it is

Walford  Staffordshire,Yorkshire
Boyes     Beverley, Hull
Allison     Beverley, Hull
Bowser   East Yorkshire
Etherton Sussex

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 July 10 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Did you know GENUKI have a page devoted to Hull on their Yorkshire Section? 
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/ERY/Hull/index.html

I thought I'd heard the name Morrell Street but can't find it in the 1892 Bulmer directory - there was only this place:

Morrell's Buildings, Villa Place, off Hessle Road, Hull.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Transcriptions/ERY/Hull1892StreetsUV.html

==
and here's the webpage showing Hessle Road (which is a long main road) - Villa Place is shown but not the Morrell's Building.
==
and here's the Alphabet Surname List where you'll see "marsden" but not your fellow.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Transcriptions/ERY/Hull1892StreetsH.html
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline plum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 July 10 20:05 BST (UK) »
to stevejw thanks for your input have tried my best to get a better image of the area round Morrill Street but i am not good on the pc and usually make a bit of a mess of things, clicked onto the address you sent and got the 226.15 and clicked on that and it said no address found ( i did click 1910 ). i saw the top image you sent with nothing showing in the earlier map and the image of the 1910 map with morrill street showing, but as george marsden my grt grt uncle died in 1894 you would have thought that morrill street would have been on the earlier map as it would have taken quite a while to build  morrill street, what i was looking for was to see if there was a public house at the morrell/morrill street as george was a publican in harrogate in 1891 or was he on a visit to hull and taken poorly and died there(morrill/morrell street as this is what is stated the place he died?  plum  thanks hope you can see what i can't.

Offline SteveJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 July 10 20:32 BST (UK) »
Have looked at the last census available and no listing for a No 2 Merrill Street, the even numbers start at 14
Walford  Staffordshire,Yorkshire
Boyes     Beverley, Hull
Allison     Beverley, Hull
Bowser   East Yorkshire
Etherton Sussex