Author Topic: Marriage in Ireland?  (Read 10612 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Ireland?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 May 10 23:10 BST (UK) »
The groom's occupation on the certificate might explain what he was doing in Ireland- perhaps in army? landsteward?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline balmae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 May 10 23:26 BST (UK) »
The occupation is the key so will organise the certificate.
Cheers!

Offline balmae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 June 10 19:40 BST (UK) »
The marriage certificate gave place as Mobarnane, Fethard. Found it by Google to be a country house hotel now. Sent email query and had a detailed response explaining that David Tennant from Howwell, Kirkcudbright has bought the property and land in 1853 using his inheritance from his father so it would seem he brought his workers with him when he took up residence. Thomas and Elizabeth returned to Scotland after their marriage in 1855 while the Tennants established themselves at Mobarnane and were buried there. Thanks for your help with this.

Offline Banjeauxman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 16:04 BST (UK) »
I also have the same problem, my gt grandparents George Wilson and Mary Ann Purdham went from Kirkcudbrightshire to Cork to marry, the father's of both of them went as well, this was in 1968, on the 1871 census they are now living in Cheshire, also one child Isabella born 1868 in Westward, Cumberland, and Julia Annie born 1871.
My parents did talk about a monthly payment being made from the Haig family ( whisky distillery) until the day that she died, but I don't know which child they refer to.
But why did they need to travel to Ireland to wed?
I suspect that the fact they ended up working in a manor house a long way from home was arranged, why?

Offline balmae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 16:47 BST (UK) »
The key to the answer of my problem was the marriage certificate. If you could obtain yours it may pinpoint the place in Cork and you may then be able to make a connection with Kirkcudbright.
English and Scottish farmers were encouraged to buy up debt ridden estates in Ireland owned by absentee landlords in 1850's.

Offline Banjeauxman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information, as you say I think the key is going to be the marriage certificate, I need to find a contact for the registry office there now!

Offline balmae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 19:24 BST (UK) »
If you look back on this thread to 31 May 10 there are a couple of links which may help you. You can then apply on line to certificates.ie to buy.

Offline Banjeauxman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 June 16 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinnan, her surname has been spelt differently several times during my research, it has been, Purdham, Purdam and also Purdom.
I have downloaded the form now that I need to apply for the certificate, I will send that off today and then wait!