Author Topic: Boer War death  (Read 1352 times)

Offline jennynz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boer War death
« on: Tuesday 01 June 10 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for information on Thomas Samuel WILSON who died in the Boer War around 1900.  He was from London and married to Eleanor Barnes.  Are there any records of deaths in the Boer war?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Jenny
Fear, Macpherson, Wilson, Potts, Rolls, Rix, Chapman, Parsons, Cooper.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boer War death
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 June 10 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny:  I'm sure there are somewhere but I'm not exactly sure where, other than the National Archives.  However, there is a website www.britishmedals.us/kevin/wo127.html which you might find helpful.  If you don't know which regiment he served in you might have to run his name through each of the individual lists.  Hope this helps in some way.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 June 10 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

The only online site - http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Databases/BoerDetailed/index.html - is not compete. It lists a few Thomas and Ts. If you have a regiment there are books that can be checked.

Ken

Offline jennynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 June 10 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replys, those sites are really useful. 

My problem is there are quite a few T or Thomas Wilson's, and I dont know his rank or regiment and am not very familar with army terms so is all a bit foreign to me. 

I can see from the 1881 and 1891 censuses that he lived in London and was a painter.  In the 1901 census his wife is listed as a widow.  Family records I have say he died in the Boer War, but I don't know any more than that.

I see there are 2 T Wilson's listed on the Royal Artillery Memorial, London http://www.roll-of-honour.com/cgi-bin/boerwarartillery.cgi, could he be one of these?  I really have no idea about the ranks but presumably not the Sargent Major if he was a painter before the war???  Could he be the gunner, is there anyway to find out more about these people?  I am guessing here really so any more suggestions would be great!

Thanks
Jenny

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 June 10 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

I think the RA memorial covers men from all over the UK. Both men are possibilities as only the initial is given, but there could be more as the link is not complete.

They have destroyed the records of soldiers who died in service in the pre-WW1 period. Do you have any information that he even served in the army? And have you looked at local sources, such as newspapers, or at least found his name on a local Boer War memorial.

Ken

Offline jennynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 June 10 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken, thanks for your reply. 

No unfortunately I don't have any other information or evidence that he actually served in the army, just the family notes (handwritten faimly tree from about 20 years ago).
As Thomas Wilson is a relatively common name, I was hoping there might be records somewhere with next of kin, date of birth or something like that to match, but guess not.

Thanks anyway, appreciate the help.

Jenny