Author Topic: Trying to find info on any Feenan relatives in Antrim  (Read 9217 times)

Offline maycockfeenan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find info on any Feenan relatives in Antrim
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have found 2 possibles for Ann Costello born in Glasgow - 1 in 1868 & 1 in 1869 tho neither parents sound spanish so maybe that part was further down the line than thought.

Will have to dig deeper with a bigger shovel :)

Offline maycockfeenan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 09:15 BST (UK) »
Have also found a couple of births for Ireland with Ann spelt with an e - would this have been missed out?  In 1911 census she is 44 but in 1901 census she is 32, how do you gain 12 years in 10???

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 09:25 BST (UK) »
Have also found a couple of births for Ireland with Ann spelt with an e - would this have been missed out?  In 1911 census she is 44 but in 1901 census she is 32, how do you gain 12 years in 10???

I wouldn't worry about a small discrepancy in age on the census returns, as these are often proved inaccurate for adults... sometimes by much more than 2 years. It looks like Joseph filled out the census form and has the same difference in their ages (3yrs) as the 1901 - but has added 2 years to both ages.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline maycockfeenan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 09:38 BST (UK) »
So the birth of Joseph you found in Scotland may not be right one  - unless he took 2 years off in 1901.  If there were service records for coastguards would it have his d.o.b on those or age, will ask uncle as he has newspaper articles of when Joseph rescued someone (not sure on details or when but it may help).

Thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 09:46 BST (UK) »
In my experience people usually give more accurate ages on census returns for children and when they themselves are younger.. so I'd probably lean towards the ages they gave on the 1901 census. (The ages of the two children are consistent on the two returns)

If the births in England fit then you might have to allow a bit more leeway date-wise in the search for the marriage -  they may have that slight incorrect also, since the possible birth for the Mary Ann is 17 years before the 1911 census - the same number  of years they state they were married.

There are records for Coast guards in the National Archives (Kew)  in ADM175 series of volumes. But these only cover Irish postings up to the mid to late 1860s.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline maycockfeenan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 10:29 BST (UK) »
I am downloading the coastguard archives as it may list Josephs father, if they moved around & he was born in Scotland his father may also have been coastguard.

I have searched for a marriage in England, Scotland & Ireland from 1880 - 1890 and nothing shows up - may be one of those records not online yet  ???

As for the Costello side - blank!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 10:36 BST (UK) »
If you find any clues as to location or dates to earlier coastguard service in Ireland let me know... and I can have a look if you wish.  I have already downloaded all the Irish volumes..

The ADM records include two basic type of records. One is an semi-alphabetical list of nominations - ie. all the F surnames together, but not in strict order. These show the names and locations of coastguards.

The second set are books with postings - usually a couple of pages for each coastguard station, with the dates the coast guards were transferred into the location and when they were transferred out. Sometimes details of the reason for transfer is given. For both the English and Ireland records the stations are listed in clockwise order around the coast - starting with with London or Dublin (i.e. initially working south).

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline maycockfeenan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 June 10 08:37 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for that link, I have just downloaded it & will now go through it.  I never thought to connect coastguard to Navy - durr!! you're more on the ball than me.

I am still waiting for uncle to get back to me with his info - but once I've found something else I will get on to him.

Thanks again for the help