Author Topic: What is Minnie short for??  (Read 48929 times)

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What is Minnie short for??
« Reply #54 on: Monday 01 October 18 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi All
There are 32 female Taylor births in Dundee between 1865 and 1867 quite a few have middle names which could be a clue or help to eliminate
Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 14 October 18 09:54 BST (UK) »
My ancestor was called Ada. This was short for Minnieada. Could also be Minnie for short.

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 14 October 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
My ancestor was called Ada. This was short for Minnieada. Could also be Minnie for short.
Indeed. But the 'Minnie' part of the name is still a diminutive of something else, most likely Mary.

There is no record of a Minnieada in any of the records on Scotland's People. There is one Minniada in the 1891 census, whose bith was registered as Minnie Ada (two separate names).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 14 October 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
My ancestor was born( Christian name) Minnieada 1903 and died Minnieada 1929 both records on Scotland's people. The name can be either shortened to Minnie or Ada.

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 14 October 18 13:41 BST (UK) »
I am afraid that I have found it impossible to replicate your search.

There are four Minnie Adas in the statutory birth records, five in the marriages index and seven in the deaths index.

Searches for Minniada and Minnieada produce no results in the statutory birth, marriage or death indexes.

The birth index lists Minnie Ada S N Cowan, born 1903 in Glasgow Anderston. Minnie Ada Shepherd Cowan, other surname Marshall, mother's surname Angus, died in Glasgow in 1978 aged 74.

A search for Minnie Ada in 1929 in the deaths index produces no results. A search for Minn* in the deaths index in 1929, born 1903 plus or minus three years, produces two results, a Minnie Robertson Munro or Murphy and a Minnie Hamilton Wilson or Muir.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 14 October 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
That's because one of my dates was for a marriage not death as I had stated previously.

I don't remember asking anyone to replicate my research. I was simply answering a post asking .. What is Minnie short for?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 14 October 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
That's because one of my dates was for a marriage not death as I had stated previously.

I don't remember asking anyone to replicate my research.
Possibly not. But facts are chiels that winna ding. The the birth, marriage and death references on Scotland's People all list her as Minnie Ada (two separate names) not as one single name.

Offline SarahU

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 02 June 19 12:02 BST (UK) »
Spotted this older posting and wanted to add my family experience to it.  My aunt (born 1924) was named Mina and it wasn’t short for Mary as that was my mother’s name. With a grandfather called William, it was assumed to be short for Williamina. NOT SO!  She was called after his sister great-aunt Minnie, great-grandmother was named Minna, the generations before it was recorded as Mannie, Menie and Marie - adhering to the Scottish naming pattern,  it was easy to trace back. In the late 1700’s and early 1800’s, they were of German extraction, likely had an accent and perhaps illiterate - officials would have recorded the name as it sounded. My aunt Mina’s name has now been handed down as a middle name, no more Minnie’s etc.
Ayrshire - Aird, Kennedy, Stevenson
Bellshill - Allan, Haney
Clydebank - Henderson, Leckie, White
Croydon Surrey - Ridley, Baxter, Giles, Histed, Spencer
Edinburgh - Allan, Mathew, Swanson, Rough/Ruff
Glasgow - Leckie, McLaughlin, Wilson
Motherwell - Underwood
Paisley - Docherty, Haney/Heaney
Prestonpans/Tranent - Donaldson
Rutland - Eglesfield, Swann
Shropshire - Shepherd, Tonks, Underwood
Ireland - Allan, Docherty, Heaney