Author Topic: GOODEN - Speen  (Read 3979 times)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
GOODEN - Speen
« on: Tuesday 01 June 10 18:05 BST (UK) »
Anyone researching these famlies?

Henry Gooden (d1766, bur Speen), wife Sarah Petworth (m 1748, Shaw).
Children: Sarah (c1750, Speen), Hannah (c1752, Speen; m Thomas Hill of Harley St, Westminster).

and

Richard Gooden, wife Sarah Kember (m 1764, Speen)
Children: Henry (c 1767, Speen); William (c1768, Speen); Alice Elizabeth (c1770, Speen) m Edmund Estcourt Gale; Sarah (c1775, Speen).

I'm trying to make a connection between these two families - could a child of Alice Elizabeth have inherited property once owned by Henry's widow Sarah (nee Petworth)?

Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GOODEN - Speen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 19:29 BST (UK) »
hi newburry chap is this any help its from the cumnor p/rs
FLEXON Richard b.1640 .... - d.16.10.1725 Cum.

m.Frances SPEEN b.1660 HillEnd -d.25.8. 1729 Cum.

chn: John 1684, Elizabeth 1687, Rd 1691

1683: residing in Leys Rd cott
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Neilke - thanks for the thought, but the Speen in my query is the place (adjacent to Newbury), not a name.

I am trying to work out if a building once occupied by Edmund Estcourt Wilkins Gale (from early 1800s to 1843), whose grandparents were Richard and Sarah Gooden (nee Kember) of Speen could have passed to him from a familial link with Sarah Gooden nee Petworth (widow of Henry Gooden), also of Speen, who gave her name to Gooden's Coffee House which was in part of the building occupied by Gale.

I guess the most likely connection is that Henry and Richard Gooden were brothers. When I get the chance to check the Speen registers I might find the connection, until then I can always hope that someone here had been there already.
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 06:25 BST (UK) »
sorry about that i must be trying to fit to much in my day when i saw speen lights were buzzing because flexon/flaxen is my mams family i wishh you the best of luck in sorting this out.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline esmeralda100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 January 11 19:04 GMT (UK) »
I can help with descendants of Alice Elizabeth Gooden and antecedants of Edmund Escourt Gale. However I'm not sure why you think Henry Gooden was married to Sarah Petworth as in his will of 1766 he refers to his mother in law as Sarah Smith. There is a possible baptism for Alice Elizabeth dau of Richard Gooden and Sarah bapt. 27 Oct 1765 at Ramsbury, Wiltshire which is not far ffrom Great Bedwyn where Edmund Escourt Gale was resident at the time of his marriage. Incidentally their eldest son Edmund Estcourt Wilkins Gale apparently left for America and died at Long Island some time after 1840. Any information you have about Richard Gooden would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Offline esmeralda100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 January 11 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Further to yesterday's posting I think you will find a lot of useful information in the Will of William Gooden, Cornchandler of Speen died 1807 - PCC prob 11/1467. I haven't gone through in detail yet, but it appears he divided his estate in six equal parts between sisters Mary Bailey, widow; Ann Angel separated from her husband Thomas and for her use alone and the estates of his four late brothers Henry, Benjamin, James and Richard.
There is also the Will of widowed Sarah Gooden who died two years later (PCC prob 11/1496) which appointed her son in law Edmund Estcourt Gale as her executor. She mentions Trade Goods but no what trade she or her late husband had followed. Her son William was then still living as was her spinster daughter Sarah.
Hope this helps.
Alice Elizabeth Gooden was my grandmother's great grandmother so you have prompted me into further research which I had been meaning to do for some time - for which much thanks

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 January 11 13:44 GMT (UK) »
I can help with descendants of Alice Elizabeth Gooden and antecedants of Edmund Escourt Gale. However I'm not sure why you think Henry Gooden was married to Sarah Petworth as in his will of 1766 he refers to his mother in law as Sarah Smith. There is a possible baptism for Alice Elizabeth dau of Richard Gooden and Sarah bapt. 27 Oct 1765 at Ramsbury, Wiltshire which is not far ffrom Great Bedwyn where Edmund Escourt Gale was resident at the time of his marriage. Incidentally their eldest son Edmund Estcourt Wilkins Gale apparently left for America and died at Long Island some time after 1840. Any information you have about Richard Gooden would be gratefully received. Thanks.

If we go back to my original post:
Henry Gooden (d1766, bur Speen), wife Sarah Petworth (m 1748, Shaw).
Children: Sarah (c1750, Speen), Hannah (c1752, Speen; m Thomas Hill of Harley St, Westminster).

Richard Gooden, wife Sarah Kember (m 1764, Speen)
Children: Henry (c 1767, Speen); William (c1768, Speen); Alice Elizabeth (c1770, Speen) m Edmund Estcourt Gale; Sarah (c1775, Speen).

The dates are from parish registers (c=christened not circa) - Sarah Petworth married Henry Gooden married at St Mary's, Shaw-cum-Donnington in November 1748. Alice Elizabeth's baptism from the registers of St Mary the Virgin, Speen in 1770.  If there are Gooden's in Ramsbury I'm not sure they are the same family - a Richard and Sarah had children baptised in Speen in 1767, 68 & 70 - not that likely to have another child baptised in Ramsbury in 1768. I had assumed that the Alice Elizabeth from Speen was the one that married EE Gale (in London)- knowledge of another Alice Elizabeth from Ramsbury makes that assumption look a bit shakey.  But this is why I posted the query in the first place - the Goodens are a mystery to me.

I haven't got

As for Sarah Smith - there are at least two explanations, neither of which I can prove (or disprove) as I haven't got enough on the Goodens. The first is that Sarah Smith was the mother of Sarah Petworth and remarried to a Smith after her Petworth husband died. The second is that Henry married twice - to Sarah Petworth and to Sarah Smith's daughter (who would probably turn out to be called Sarah just to confuse me further).

Edmund Estcourt Wilkins Gale went bankrupt in 1843 - I can find no sign of him being discharged from bankruptcy (yet).  Which leads to a suspicion as to why he left for the US in 1844. According to US researchers he died in 1854 - all in all the research looks good, but it is a little odd as the EEW Gale who died in the US in 1854 was a doctor (a strange change of career for a wine merchant & brewer).

Offline esmeralda100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 January 11 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi there - the change of career for Edmund Estcourt Wilkins Gale may not looks so strange if you know that his father Edmund Estcourt Gale was a doctor and as far as I know there was no formal education requirement to be able to practice medicine other than some experience! Also if he inherited the wine business in Speen he might formerly have practised medicine with his father and thought he could do better in wine.
Alternatively the death record in 1854 could be for his son, also Edmund Estcourt Wilkins Gale born about 1830.

Next time I'm in London (which may not be for a while) I will look up the Speen parish registers and see if I can connect what's there with what I already have.

Your suggestions re Sarah Smith sound very reasonable to me.

Offline esmeralda100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 January 11 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Further research into the Will of Dr Edmund Escourt Gale reveals the following:
"Whereas I am engaged in the wine and spirit trade and the same is now carried on by me at Speenham Land in the County of Berks and whereas it had always been my intention to assign the said Trade and Business to my oldest son Edmund Estcourt Wilkins Gale when he should attain the age of twenty five years I do hereby direct and it is my Will and desire...that my said Trade of a Wine and Spirit Merchant shall be carried on by my Trustees...."

So it appears that the wine & spirit business at Speen had come to Dr EE Gale, perhaps through a marriage settlement with his wife ? and that is how it was handed on the Edmund Estcourt Wilkins Gale who would have reached 25 a year or so after his father's death in 1819.

The Will also mentions investments funding the support of Sarah Gooden his sister-in-law, which he was managing under the terms of his mother-in-law's Will.