Author Topic: George HAMPTON (1869-1937) & Mary Hannah CULPAN (1871-1954)  (Read 5191 times)

Offline jeffreyjoecarroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George HAMPTON (1869-1937) & Mary Hannah CULPAN (1871-1954)
« on: Wednesday 02 June 10 06:47 BST (UK) »
I'm am trying to locate descendants of George HAMPTON (1869-1937) and his wife Mary Hannah CULPAN (1871-1954). Both died in Lismore, NSW and are buried in the East Lismore Cemetery. They married in 1888 and had 4 children:

Edward Charles HAMPTON (1890-1965) - married Caroline Jane FOX in 1917.
Emma Mabel HAMPTON (1892 -1931) - married Leonard Cecil CARROLL in 1912.
Sylvia (Tib) HAMPTON (1895-?) - married Thomas WALSH in 1921.
Richmond William George (Paddy) HAMPTON (1907-1978) - married Heather Annie Margaret NEWTON in 1942.

Any descendants/cousins out there also researching the family history? I'm from Emma & Leonard's line.

Jeff

Offline Siouxsie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grandmother, Myrtle Isabel
    • View Profile
Re: George HAMPTON (1869-1937) & Mary Hannah CULPAN (1871-1954)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 June 10 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeff,
Alas, I am not a relative......have you tried either of these societies....they may have some leads for you.
Richmond-Tweed Family History Society, Inc.
    P.O. Box 817 BALLINA NSW 2478
    Phone (02) 6686 3495

Richmond River Historical Society, Inc.
    P.O. Box 467 LISMORE NSW 2480

Cheers
Siouxsie
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Hutton : Edinburgh, Scotland
Downey : England
Ingram: St George East, Middlesex and New Zealand
Roberts : Grafton, NSW
Blackadder : Grafton, NSW
Gillett : Grafton, NSW
Brocklebank :Carkettle, Lancashire
Bowes : Ulverston, Lancashire
Rose : Bo'ness, Linlithgowshire, Scotland
Kelleher:County Cork, Ireland
Shepherd : Helpringham, Lincolnshire

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 June 10 11:39 BST (UK) »
http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/17403560?searchTerm=%22Edward+Charles+HAMPTON%22

Edward Charles Hampton may have remarried in 1938 to Alleyne Margaret Hughes in Lismore.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 June 10 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Siouxsie, I've been in contact with them previously, but should try them again. There are still several of the family in the area........I know of some of them.

Good find jorose......I've been scratching my head as to how Alleyne fitted in. Didn't even think of divorce in this case - appreciated.

Jeff

Offline noellamary

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 March 11 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeff,
I have recommenced organising my family history after many years and found your post on rootschat via another link.  Your Mary Hannah HAMPTON (nee CULPAN) was the sister of my grandfather William Robert CULPAN.  I was researching his father Joseph CULPAN but any information I have is filed away at present. Not sure about him deserting.   Were you talking about military service? He wrote from Australia to the New Zealand Government asking for his service medal so I don't think he would do that if he was a deserter. I would be happy to share any research I have if it would be of use to you.  You were asking about a mining lease at Newman's Gully at Hill End too. Have you found out the information about that you required?  I have friends with a property in Hill End, so would be happy to ask them if they could help. 

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 March 11 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Dear Noellamary,

I have discovered a wealth of information about the Culpan family thanks to the huge efforts of a part of the family in New Zealand & their book on the Culpan Family. If you'd like to PM me I would be happy to give you their details. It confirms that Joseph certainly did desert military service.

I'm still hoping to find photos of Joseph & Mary Hannah...can't believe one doesn't exist anymore.

I've had no luck on the Hill End side of things however.

Best,
Jeff

Offline Kim ex Lismore NSW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 June 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
I'm am trying to locate descendants of George HAMPTON (1869-1937) and his wife Mary Hannah CULPAN (1871-1954). Both died in Lismore, NSW and are buried in the East Lismore Cemetery. They married in 1888 and had 4 children:

Edward Charles HAMPTON (1890-1965) - married Caroline Jane FOX in 1917.
Emma Mabel HAMPTON (1892 -1931) - married Leonard Cecil CARROLL in 1912.
Sylvia (Tib) HAMPTON (1895-?) - married Thomas WALSH in 1921.
Richmond William George (Paddy) HAMPTON (1907-1978) - married Heather Annie Margaret NEWTON in 1942.

Any descendants/cousins out there also researching the family history? I'm from Emma & Leonard's line.

Jeff

Offline Kim ex Lismore NSW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 June 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hey there Jeffrey!  My name is Kim...my mother Ann Thomas (neeMcLean)'s mother was Lily Mavis Carroll married to James Brown McLean from McLeans Dept Store.  Have researched the McLeans back to them coming over from Isle of Mull, Scotland in 1837 but realised that apart from remembering all the Hamptons as a child didn't know much else from mums side!! Aunty Sylvia(Tibs) and Uncle Tom Walsh I remember well (she was George and Marys daughter)....her sister was Emma Mabel Hampton who died young leaving Lily (my grandmother) and her twin Sylvie to help their dad Leonard Cecil (Pop) Carroll with the other kids,  Nancy, Edward (Teddy), Leonard (Lenny) and Robert (Bobby).  Lily had my mum Ann, plus Kaye (still living in Lismore) and Lesley (deceased).  My brother Ian and I always had holidays in Lismore at 119 Ballina Street and whilst we were really close to uncle bobbys kids i.e. Dennis, Susie, Louise, I remember all the other aunts and uncles visiting us in Lismore.  And visiting Pop Carroll in that little house of his every holiday!! I assume you are connected in the same way.    I have been coming up across a brick wall so was super excited to see your post.  Have just come across this site recently.   Look forward to hearing from you xxx kim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 June 14 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there Kim, great to read your post! I'll be happy to help you break a big hole in that brick wall. I am Len's son and your grandmother Lily was my favourite aunt. As a child I loved visiting her and Uncle Jim in that wonderful house - such a pity it burnt down. I am in contact with the cousins you mention and will give you their details too. Have some old family photos too. So glad you found me (us). This site has helped me so much over the years. Jeff