Author Topic: Re: Newby - Ironmongers in Aldeburgh - COMPLETED THANK YOU  (Read 6427 times)

Offline mrbling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newby - Ironmongers in Aldeburgh
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 09:43 BST (UK) »
HiI have just registeredon this site and noticed the name Bridges, my grandfather was a William bridges and lived all his life in Gt Glemham and his son (my father) was also born there.My grandfather is buried in the church at Gt Glemham. He served in the Suffolk regiment for 9 years and was discharged with a charachter certificate in 1910. I have a few documents and a couple of photos . My mother is from church hill Saxmundham where she was born and grew up, her father worked at the sale yard in Saxmundham all his life. Not sure if any of this is relevant but thought I would mention it.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 11:19 BST (UK) »
I am snowed under with Suffolk Local History Council work at the moment and hope to have my website back on line shortly - need to meet up with a friend who is resurrecting it for me (presently has a 'caretaker' in Australia - but as you will all have discovered none of the links work  :-[

I will go through all my various Bridges  families information, if we are related you will go back to the 1400s and Norfolk  ::)

Hope to be back before too long.

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline mrbling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 13:13 BST (UK) »
JDB307, I note that your grandfather was called frederick, well my Grandfather was called William frederick Bridges and as you know fathers often gave sons their first name as a middle name and as they are from the same village they must be related. I am going to try and attach a photo of him in his Suffolk uniform.

Offline mrbling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 13:15 BST (UK) »
this is my great great grandparents

Offline mrbling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 13:18 BST (UK) »
sorry to keep posting but i have quite a few more documents from the 1st world war and William bridges was rifle shooting champion of his regiment. If anyone would like me to scan these documents in and post them please let me know.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 13:37 BST (UK) »
I think I have found both of your ancestral Bridges' on my roll of wallpaper, my handwritten notes and I know where to find everyone on there (have used it for 30 years, getting a bit tatty around the edges but everything is on there).

I have contacted cousin Diane in Florida who is the expert on this side of the family.  We all meet up at a marriage in Fressingfield in 1720 and then have one line back.

Must get on with my list of what has to be done today - and that list doesn't have Family History on it  ::)  ::)  ::)

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 00:29 BST (UK) »

Jack,

I have a possible distant link to Frederick NEWBY - his wife Rachel was a SPANTON from Norfolk, but I've not yet confirmed the link between her and my own SPANTON ancestors.  Happy to share the information I've collected, but it sounds like you've already got it.

As for ironmongers in Aldeburgh, I remember (as a child in the 1970's) there was a 'old' traditional ironmongers on the High Street - very similar in atmosphere to the Ipswich Martin & Newby shop (I spent many happy hours in both!).  I think it was called 'Constance Hardware' or possibly just 'Constance', but closed down, I'd guess some time in the 1980's.

This shop was next door to the Victoria pub and the building can just be seen on the left hand side of Linn's photo number 93 on the link Pat gave.

The shop can also be seen on Google Street View and seems to be 144 High Street.  On here the shop is now called 'Moo Moos' and a sign on the front says 'Slaughden House', so unless this is a later rename, it might not be the one you were looking for.  I've got a feeling the hardware shop extended through into the building next door (140-142).

There was another Ironmongers further up the High Street towards the fish and chip shop, but I remember this being a fairly modern building.

As I said, this is all remembered from childhood, so apologies if any of it turns out to be nonsense.

Kind regards,

Nick

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 July 10 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Nick,

Thanks for all that.  I've had a look at Google Street and it looks like part of the building is now occupied by the Aldeburgh Gallery.  I've emailed them to see if they have any history of their shop.  I also sent an email to the Suffolk CRO in Ipswich to see if they have any records which might help.

With regard to the Newby/Spanton marriage, I think Rachel was from Tunstead in Norfolk and, based on a FreeBMD listing, I think they married in 1878.  If you know any more than this I would be more than happy to hear it.

Kind regards,

Jack
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 July 10 17:05 BST (UK) »

Jack,

Yes, Rachel was born around 1846 (FreeBMD 4Q1846) daughter of Robert SPANTON (b. ~1811 Tunstead) and Ann KIRK (b.~1805).  FreeBMD has a death for her in 4Q1918.

There are various SPANTON's born around this time in Tunstead, Dilham and Neatishead.  I've not made a connection between the families, mainly due to lack of time, but I've worked on the basis that I'll find a link one day.  I've got census details 1851-1911 for Rachel (including family) if you are interested.

Kind regards,

Nick