Author Topic: Joan Ross Charles Hunter  (Read 3864 times)

Offline betsyblue

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Joan Ross Charles Hunter
« on: Thursday 03 June 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find more info. on this couple.
Johann McGill born 1879 Gilmerton Edinburgh daughter of David McGill and Joan Ross married  Charles Hunter 1899 in Edinburgh .They are on the 1901 census for Scotland. Family talk says they went to America but I have found her coming back into Liverpool on 30th October 1948 on the Empress of France the address she gives for her stay here is a family member. I am tring to find out when they went to Canada or America and if is is possible to find a date of death for her.
On her birth certificate she is registered as Johann but went under the name of Joan.

Ann

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joan Ross Charles Hunter
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 June 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/08th/
Possibility for Charles signing up to serve with the Canadian Expeditionary Force from British Columbia.  Wife Joan still residing in Scotland.

http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-58EB27B/gbsearch/Births,Marriages,Deaths
There is the death of a Charles Alexander Hunter March 25 1935 Princeton at 59 years
There is the death of a Johan Hunter Nov 1 1963 Vancouver at 83.

If you modify your subject line to include BC lookup there are people on this forum who do have access to BC records that would be willing to look up this information for you to see if they are yours or not.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 June 10 22:46 BST (UK) »
http://www.goodfellow.mozey-on-inn.com/SIX.html
Link to details of the mine co-owned by Charles Alexander Hunter in Princeton but no mention of family.

Debbie

Offline betsyblue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 June 10 23:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your advice. I have now found Joan going back from Greenock Scotland 8th May 1954 ariving Quebec 14 May 1954 on the Empress of Scotland.

Ann

Offline betsyblue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Joan Hunter-Look up Quebec
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 June 10 23:35 BST (UK) »
Joan Hunter b Scotland 1879 in Quebec 1954 can anyone do a look up for a death for her after this date
Father David McGill Mother Joan Ross
Husband Charles Hunter

Many Thanks

Ann

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 June 10 00:03 BST (UK) »
There is no central registry for BMDs in Canada.  It is a provincial responsibility and due to privacy laws current information is protected.  For example in Ontario deaths after 1937 are still protected.

Since you've found her return to Canada where was she headed in Canada?  Quebec would have been the port of arrival.

Debbie

Offline betsyblue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 June 10 10:40 BST (UK) »
I am sorry Debbie I do not know anything more than she arrived in Quebec.
At least I know that she was in Canada .I have been into NRH here in Edinburgh and there is no death for her here so I must take it she died after  1954 out there . thank you for all your help

Ann

Offline betsyblue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Joan Hunter - B.C. Look up please
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 June 10 19:14 BST (UK) »
I would be very grateful if someone would do the following look up for me.

Joan Hunter (m.s. McGill ) b Scotland 1879 husband Charles married  1899 Scotland she might also go under Johan which is on her original birth certificate,

Thank you

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 June 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
The original link and suggestion I gave you turns out to be your Joan and husband.  Someone can look up the death records for them if you request it.  Simply go to the link and obtain the registration and microfilm numbers and quote them on this post and amend the subject line to include BC Lookup.  This information makes it easier for the volunteers as they can't access the information online but must go to a library or archive in BC.

This link gets you to the LDS Family Pilot Search Lab where they have included a few more details from the BC registrations but no cause of death or informant.  http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

Debbie