Author Topic: Marriage or death of Mary McKernan  (Read 13054 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage or death of Mary McKernan
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 06 June 10 02:48 BST (UK) »
John & Anna's son John was listed on the petition as born 5-28-19 in Philadelphia.  Social Security Death Index has John J. Ohalloran, born 28 May 1919, died 15 Aug 1995.  His last residence was Philadelphia (zip code 19116).  His Social Security number was issued in Pennsylvania before 1951.  There are public records that give his address as 12003 Bustleton Ave., Philadelphia.

Son Francis was listed as born 1-5-21 in Philadelphia.  Social Security Death Index has Francis E. Ohalloran with the same birth date and a death date of 24 Mar. 2009.  His last residence was Philadelphia (zip code 19136).  His Social Security number was issued in Pennsylvania before 1951.  

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 June 10 02:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Erato,

I have contacted the presentation sisters through their website and they will hopefully be able to tell me whether this is the correct Mary.  My aunties did think that she was long a nun until she died but they have nothing to confirm this.

So it is a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Thanks for all your help

Kieran

PS I will keep you posted when I hear back from the presentation sisters

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 June 10 03:00 BST (UK) »
Only certain people may order Pennsylvania birth certificates from that time period, as explained here:  http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/birth_certificates/14121.  It says if the person is deceased, you can get the birth record by submitting their death certificate.  But, it appears that only certain people can get Pennsylvania death certificates, so you may be out of luck there.

Perhaps someone can find an obituary for one of these men that would indicate Anna's maiden name.  If not, perhaps ordering Vincent's death certificate from Florida would be easier/less expensive.  http://www.doh.state.fl.us/planning_eval/vital_statistics/deaths.htm  It appears that anyone can order one without a cause of death listed.  Maybe someone with experience with more recent Florida records would know how likely it is to get a maiden name from them. 

Otherwise, ordering one of their original Social Security applications is an option, as explained here:  http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rwguide/lesson10.htm  I've always had luck getting mother's maiden name from those.

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 June 10 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Shellyesq,

Thanks for all the information.  I am really grateful to all your help.  I feel that I am getting someway closer to finding out if we have relations in America.  This would make my aunties day to find some lost relatives.

Thanks again for all your help

Kieran

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 06 June 10 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Shellyesq,

Thanks for all your help.  Do you know when either John or Annie died as if I was able to get there death notices it might say where they were from originally?

Thanks for all your help

Kieran

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 06 June 10 20:16 BST (UK) »
John's petition for naturalization says he was born 20 Apr. 1884 in Ballyknockone (?), Ireland.  He traveled from Queenstown to New York, arriving 3 Apr. 1912.  The ship name looks like Ca_onia.  I can't find him on a passenger list.

I'm not aware of any death records online from Philadelphia between 1920 and 1930, so I wouldn't expect to find anything for John.  I don't see anything to narrow down when/where Anna might have died, other than sometime after 1930.

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 06 June 10 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Shellyesq,

thanks again for all the information.  Is there any social Security indexs for that period would they be listed in that?

Also is there any way of tracking these births

Catherine Diamond 1895 born in New York
Susan Helen Diamond 1899 born in New York
Bridget Agnes Diamond 1901 born in New York
John Francis Diamond 1902 born in New York

Thanks for all your help

Kieran

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 06 June 10 20:44 BST (UK) »
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 06 June 10 20:48 BST (UK) »
No, the Social Security Death Index, with a few rare exceptions, has deaths from the 1960's to the present.  You can see it for free at www.rootsweb.com or www.familysearch.org.

What are you looking for in regards to the Diamonds?  There are some New York birth records here:  http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#