Author Topic: Disappearing Henry  (Read 2688 times)

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Disappearing Henry
« on: Saturday 05 June 10 16:59 BST (UK) »
Wonder if anyone could take a look at this please, I'm stumped.

Henry Thomas Holland b West Bromwich March 1847.

Marriage to Lucy Bridge March 1867 at West Bromwich (6b 854).

I have him on a cert in 1873 and on the 1881 census at West Brom as a grocer's assistant but no sign of him thereafter.

Lucy is still shown as married on the 1891 census (living with daughters) and the 1901 (living with Henry Thomas's father John).

There are two deaths with about the right age for a Henry T in 1914 at Peterboro, or at Prescott in 1930 but I can't think of or find a connection to either of these places. There's a possible death for his wife at Stourbridge in December 1905.

Any ideas welcome!

Paul

PS On the cert I have, his name appears as Hy Thomas Holland.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Disappearing Henry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 June 10 17:05 BST (UK) »
There are two deaths with about the right age for a Henry T in 1914 at Peterboro, or at Prescott in 1930

Have you checked the 1911 census?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 June 10 17:30 BST (UK) »
The Henry Thomas who died in 1914 is on the 1911 index living in Peterborough but his birthplace does not match to either Staffordshire or West Bromwich

The 1930 Henry is shown just as Henry on the 1911 index and living in Prescot - again - his birthplace does not match
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 June 10 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carole, I don't have access to the 1911 other than pay per view.

Paul

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 June 10 18:32 BST (UK) »
I only used the free index to get the info I posted above

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 09:42 BST (UK) »
A couple of possibilities are that he may be working abroad or in prison - some of the census records for institutions are a bit incomplete as they only listed them by initial

One person I was tracing never appeared with her husband but the enumerator had very helpful put by the M for married that he was working in India - I never did find a death for him and presume he died out there

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 June 10 07:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks both.

The only other possible lead I've found is an entry in the criminal registers (Henry Holland, Date of Trial 7th March 1872) but my Ancestry subs won't let me view the details - can sks take a peek and see if it could be him? I'd be a bit surprised as he has children either side of that date and attendance at his brothers wedding in '73 but maybe he was one of those 'in and out' types?!

TIA

Paul

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 June 10 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hiya Paul

7.3.1872 Henry Holland received 6 months imprisonment for receiving stolen goods

Also 17.10.1853 at Stafford Henry Holland  received 12 months imprisonment for assault ABH

but this might be the same Henry Holland who on 6.4.1847 was aquitted of Larcency - he was b 1829 (unusual for them to include ages)

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 June 10 16:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Willow :D

I suppose the 1872 one could be him but as he was only born in '47 I shouldn't think the other two would be!!

Is there any further information on the 1872 one?

Thanks again

Paul