Author Topic: Old boxers  (Read 21257 times)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Re: Old boxers
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 23:59 BST (UK) »
Not sure.
I think that he was born in Llantrisant around 1911, but he may have lived in Pontypridd.
I'll see if my Mum can remember.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Pontygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • All the questions I never thought to ask!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth
I'm new here, but saw your post about boxing in Pontypridd, and wondered if you can help me trace Albert John Bowen who was connected to the Mill St boxing scene in Pontypridd around the 1920's?  My grandfather (Albert's elder brother) was also interested in boxing and a member there too. He was Daniel David Bowen, who also later became secretary of the Pontypridd Rubgy Club 1921. I don't think either of them were champions, just colliers who used to enjoy the scene. Albert went off to live in Evesham I think, and we have completely lost all track of his side of the family. Any info would be good. Many thanks.
Bowen, Lavender, Hier, Hire, Miller, Pontypridd, Monmouth, Freystrop, Hook, Pembrokeshire

Offline EXMOUTH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 15:22 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather was Billy Thomas - originally from Merthyr then  Bargoed and Deri who was boxing in late 1920's and 1930's.
He went to Australia in 1928 on a boxing tour and contested the Australian Middleweight title.
He was also ,I believe, the only person to beat Tommy Farr.
Any information would be great and good luck with the book.

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 21:34 BST (UK) »
Not sure where he was born but certainly Welsh was Jimmy Driscoll ......... my dad used to tell me about him when I wanted to do a little bit of 'the noble art' and bought me a book about him ............. there is a lot about this champion by googling.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 22:02 BST (UK) »
I was reading about Jim Driscoll only today ~ well, his funeral, actually ~ in a book called
'Immigration and Integration: The Irish in Wales - 1798-1922' by Paul O'Leary. Very interesting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Immigration-Integration-1798-1922-Studies-History/dp/0708317677
http://www.recyclegen.com/Peerless/index.html
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 August 10 11:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry about the delay in replying: I've not been getting email notifications about recent posts for some reason  ???

First, Pontygirl: sorry, I know nothing of your Bowens. I can tell you, it's hard enough trying to find out about some of the old boxers from Ponty, let alone the fans  :D

Exmouth, Billy Thomas came close to inclusion in my current book about Merthyr and Ponty boxers, but I decided he was based for most of his career in Deri, so he should wait till I get around to the Rhymney Valley. I'll contact you by PM, but should point out he was far from the only person to beat  Tommy Farr - Joe Louis did, rather famously, for one! Farr lost frequently when he was starting out.

Joboy, Driscoll was from Cardiff. And Tricia, there are pictures of his funeral in my first book:

http://www.welsh-academic-press.com/St%20Davids%20Press/The%20Boxers%20of%20Wales%20-%20Cardiff.html

Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 August 10 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Well, I managed to get to Cardiff Library and to see the newspaper article about my uncle. They had ordered it in specially for me. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. The family really enjoyed hearing his story!

Thanks again :)

Tricia :)

Offline Mike Bull

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 12 August 10 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hey bud just came across your mail regarding my great uncle Frank Moody his brother Glen and my grandfather Jack. Thank you for the posting and I am sure if you want more info I can help you. I know my grandfgather Jack was a miner and was killed in a pit cave in at the maritime mine in Pontypridd. My mother was only two at this time. You are right Glen and Frank went on to be very competent boxers travelling to America and Australia. Sadly they have now left the ring of life but I have pictures of them displayed in my barber shop in Thetford Norfolk where I live. It's great to see that the Moody heritage lives on and on........ Thank you once more. Mike  :)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 August 10 12:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Mike. I will PM you with a couple of specific queries about your grandfather and his brother Glen.

The book should be out in early November and, with the indulgence of the mods, I will give details when it appears.

Regards, Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk