Author Topic: blankets farm oldmeldrum  (Read 7128 times)

Offline ter153

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
blankets farm oldmeldrum
« on: Saturday 05 June 10 18:21 BST (UK) »
hi all.
       does anyone have any information on a place called ''blankets'' in oldmeldrum? my great grandad worked there as a lad and his father before him i think,my grt grandfather worked there untill he joined up in 1911,his name was james shepherd his father called john,dont know if from the area but his daughter born 1922 had links with methlick but later moved to aberdeen where she raised a family (bit of a scandal surrounding granny ive found out while doing my research lol) just wanted to know about the place grt granda worked and lived and if its still there,would be great if anyone new anything thanks very much
                                              teresa

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: blankets farm oldmeldrum
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 June 10 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, if you click on this link you'll get a super view of Blankets!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Here's another useful site showing some more photos of the area.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ8026

Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline ter153

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 June 10 19:52 BST (UK) »
thankyou for those links flst :)

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 June 10 20:54 BST (UK) »
Blankets today is a private house. I'm not sure if it ever was a farm. As far as I know, the lands on one side belong to North Mains of Barra, and the other side belong to Redhouse farm.

It is surrounded by trees so it's difficult to get a proper photograph, but this is one taken from the Inverurie road. According to an old farmer that I knew, the road is much changed now, but at one time it went over to Blankets, probably near where the electricity pole is in the photo, before turning sharp left to Oldmeldrum. Unfortumately, this old farmer is no longer with us, so I can't get any more information I'm afraid.

Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 June 10 18:21 BST (UK) »
Have you managed to find your ancestors in the 1901 census?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline McGraw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 June 10 20:17 BST (UK) »
Go to www.oldmaps.co.uk and enter Oldmeldrum.  Select the address in the drop down list.  Maps
6-8 show Blankets from 1901-1928.  Don't think it exists now, but there is a childrens' playbarn, called 'Hoodles' very close to where it appears on these maps.  It is an actual barn conversion so may be where or near to where Blankets was. 
Oldmeldrum Library Headquarters would be your best bet for getting the correct info.  I'm sure they'd help over the phone.

McGraw

Offline nanato5

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 June 10 08:42 BST (UK) »
hi teresa,i saw you were looking for info re blankets farm,and your grt grandad working there before he joined up,if you look on this site,4th page ROLLS OF THE GORDON HIGHLANDERS,1914-1918 BY WINDSOR87,you will find mention of james,his war injurys,married to agnes henderson,he was born blankets farm,eva
mcgilp & pringle,kilbride ,bute                                                 
mackie,fife .                                                                 
brabender& pringle,glasgow.edward biggar,peebles                                                 
pringle&brown,& aitken,glasgow ,                                                           
wight,east lothian & borders.little,lothian.

Offline McGraw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 June 10 11:15 BST (UK) »
Did a bit more asking around today & Blankets is still a farm today & in fact I know the people who own it.  I will ask if they have any info on it or if I can get a photo for you, if you'd like.  Bare with me & I'll try my best.

McGraw

Offline cabrach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 July 10 23:39 BST (UK) »
Blankets was a farm belonging to the Barra estate, in the parish of Bourtie (now merged with Meldrum).  It got its name simply because at one time they made blankets there.

Barra was in the hands of the Ramsay family and descendants from 1750 up until 2007 (though Ramsay of Barra moved from the castle to the Georgian grandeur of Straloch in 1766 - but descendants came back to the castle much later as the family's fortunes declined). 

There is a wonderful history of Bourtie parish and its farms in the book "Bourtie Kirk: 800 Years" by Marian Youngblood, published by Cleopas Publications in 1995 (the book deals with much more than the kirk).  It is sold by the Aberdeen & North-East FHS.

Ian